thumb_1412800724-1.JPG
thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
thumb_1411961722-374934_2397988276894_1877393445_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1411889958-Summers_131026_-_Copy__617x800_.jpg
thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
Current Quote
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
"
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
191 Online Now
13 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 178 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Filipino Swords and Bolos        (Topic#96856)
    Donna
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-14-99 16:23.00 - Post#96856    

Anyone out there have any Filipino Swords and Bolos in their collection, if so what do you have?

Also I want to know where is a good source for getting Filipino weapons that are made in the Philippines. Anyone know of any?

To date I own a Kris Sword and Dagger in a beautifully carved scabbord which I purchased from Shannon Lew but unfortunatly he is closing out his inventory on his Filipino weapons.

Titan
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-14-99 18:32.00 - Post#96857    

In response to Donna

Donna, why the interest in Philippine-made cutlery?

You might want to try Smoky Mountains at www.smkwknife.com and ask for a catalog. They have a broad selection of Philippine made swords.

Or, if you want, contact me off-list. I might be able to help.

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited 02-15-99).]

"It is better to understand a little, than to misunderstand a lot." -- Anonymous

Jim March
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-14-99 19:05.00 - Post#96858    

In response to Titan

Donna, the "ultimate" source of good quality replicas is supposed to be Kris Cutlery, at:
    http://www.invis.com/kriscutlery/

JM

Smoke
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-14-99 19:27.00 - Post#96859    

In response to Jim March

Kris Cutlery is good but the outfit has changed a bit.

Donna, talk to me offline about Kris Cutlery.

Peace,
    smoke

Donna
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-15-99 03:01.00 - Post#96860    

In response to Smoke

Titan, because of my love of the Filipino Martial Arts which I am currently a practicioner of and working toward an instructor's belt in. Which by the way guys when I do get that rank I will be the first woman to have achieved that title in the system that I am training in.

One comment about Kris, I have heard that it is mostly replicas and that the imported stuff is from Indonesia. Also Smokey Mountain I believe is replicas. I did't see too much in one of their catalogues unless I missed one.

dgwinn
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-15-99 13:08.00 - Post#96861    

In response to Donna

Way to go, Donna, let us know when you get it.

I have a friend who instructs in Shorin Ryu karate, and my untrained self can usually take her down and lock an arm.

From what I've heard around here and Bladeforums, I don't think I'd care to try that on you . . . .

Also, I wonder if you could recommend someone who could help me find a good place to learn FMA in Illinois or Iowa. I graduate in a year, so I'll probably be moving after that, but I really want to try it.

-------------------------
    All right, welcome to my "Kung Fu" academy!!!
    Why did you go like this? (quote marks)
    Because I'm not going to teach you little wussies "Kung Fu!" That's just what I told your parents so they'd send you here and I could teach you to KICK ASS!

Donna
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-15-99 15:39.00 - Post#96862    

In response to dgwinn

dg,

Thanks for the compliment, its nice, kind words like yours that make this place even more enjoyable for me to hang around.

From the way you make it sound I have developed a reputation, too!

I have no doubt that my big mouth will not be able to remain shut the day I get my instructor belt and I will no doubt devote a thread to just me. Seriously, it is a concern of mine that there are not enough women who are in the Filipino martial arts and from what I heard the ones in the past were not taken that seriously or groomed to become instructors. I have noticed that it really is male dominated and it goes to show you that for as many areas that women now occupy in this society there are still those areas that are male dominated. So I feel like a pioneer. Now I have noticed a few Filipino women but when you get to American women the numbers are real sparse. I know of Casilla Boggs and that is it. So it will be an achievement that I will be real proud of, not just for attaining the the instructor title but because of being a female who is achieving it. Not to mention that I will feel cool as s**t when I get it.

The Filipino Martial Art Directory lists every known instructor here in the States, you are a bit out in the woods from instructors of our style but I will check into it. The directory is located at www.cecm.sfu.ca/~loki/FMA/

Hope this helps.

Titan
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-15-99 21:57.00 - Post#96863    

In response to Donna

Donna,

So that's what FMA means -- I should be ashamed!

Good luck on your belt...

Jim March,

You're right, kriscutlery has awesome Filipino blades! Those from Smoky seems toy-like compared to it...

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited 02-16-99).]

"It is better to understand a little, than to misunderstand a lot." -- Anonymous

Will Kwan
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-16-99 13:48.00 - Post#96864    

In response to Titan

Hi Donna,

I don't know anything about Fiipino swords or Bolos but have an old magazine arcticle with pictures on Moro blades. The arcticle was in Guns and Ammo Action Series, Combat knives from 1989. If your are interest in it I'll look up which volume it is.

Will

Donna
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-16-99 13:53.00 - Post#96865    

In response to Will Kwan

Will,
    The article sounds real interesting and I would really enjoy seeing those photos but even if I knew the volume I don't have access to the magazine or its older issues. Thanks for the thought though.

Phil Squire
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-16-99 14:14.00 - Post#96866    

In response to Donna

Relative to Donna Kali, I assumed FMA was Favorite Martial Art.

Stay safe and all the best , Phil <----<

Mick
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-16-99 23:56.00 - Post#96867    

In response to Phil Squire

Hi Donna,
    far as I know, Kris is from the Philippines. But even if not, their quality is highly recommanded at the Swordforum.com. These guys are discussing blades in the 10k bucks range and the like, but usually if somebody asks there for an entry level katana, they point them to Kris. Maybe you should ask over there as well.
    Greetings
    Michael

Tony S
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-18-99 09:04.00 - Post#96868    

In response to Mick

Hi y'all! This is my first post here, and wouldn't you know, it's somewhat off-topic. Hope you guys don't mind... I thought about sending this in private e-mail, but thought this would be best.

Donna, you wrote:

"Seriously, it is a concern of mine that there are not enough women who are in the Filipino martial arts and from what I heard the ones in the past were not taken that seriously or groomed to become instructors. I have noticed that it really is male dominated and it goes to show you that for as many areas that women now occupy in this society there are still those areas that are male dominated."

(I hope that quote comes out all right, this l'il' window really messed it up...)

I'm writing from all the way up here from Finland. So perhaps the attitudes are a little different here (probably not, though...). Plus the FMA's aren't all that big here, I know of only three or four clubs in the whole country. And I've only trained in one of them. In other words, this is a very limited observation. However:

Our club (or, to be more accurate, our FMA group), too, has a lack of female practitioners. This is not, however, because we would somehow drive them away. On the contrary, I've heard several people say it would be nice to get some women also to train. It just seems that most women don't like this art, or think it is useful for them. Remember, a lot of beginners looking for an art that would teach self-defense, dismiss the FMA's as "unpractical". "After all, who'd carry a stick with them all the time..." We do, however, have a few high-level female practicioners. I assure you, they are in no way put down. Everyone treats them in the same way, as another fellow FMA practitioner. (And as quite a few of us have noticed, the FMA's really are suitable for also women.) So, atleast in our club, we do encourage women to try our art! And our instructors take all of their students equally seriously. (Hey, they still let *me* train there in spite of my slow progress... )

You also wrote of getting an instructors belt:

"Not to mention that I will feel cool as s**t when I get it."

I can imagine you will... Just hope that someday in the (distant...) future, I will also advance to that level.

Sorry if I seemed longwinded. Train safely, Donna!

------------------
    --
    Tony S.

Tony S.

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Phil Squire
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-18-99 13:13.00 - Post#96869    

In response to Tony S

Donna,

Are you looking for a "decorator" type kris display sword, or one made of materials and processes that ensure performance if it has to be used? Judging by your preference for high order cutlery (Maddog etc. I would guess the latter.)
    Marto,CAS Iberia,Vaciacraft,among other craft swords,some kris models(Howard Korn's Knifecenter has some www.knifecenter.com).
    Additionally, he has great info on a Filipino craftsman(Filomeno). Unfortunately, he advises he no longer sells them, but the link is still up,so check it out for info.

So,it seems the spectrum is as broad as wallets are fat or thin. Cast zinc replicas to Don Fogg(or equivalent Custom maker) commissioned masterpieces etc. Good Luck.

http://www.bakbakan.com/kris.htm

http://www.leelarae.com/knifecenter/swords/vacia.html

Stay safe and all the best, Phil <----<

Donna
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-18-99 14:01.00 - Post#96870    

In response to Phil Squire

Phil,
    You are a wealth of information. You are the URL man. Thanks, I really appreciate this and I will check into those sites. I already checked into the ones you suggested to me on the Himalayan imports forum.

Tony, Welcome and I hope that you will continue to post and I am happy to have another FMA practicioner among us. Thanks for letting me know about the status of women in the FMA's in Finland. It is good to hear that there are women out there training.
    Its funny that you would mention that about the stick because I posed that same question to my grandmaster and he gave me a great response. The angles of the stick are the same as knife and even open hands. So what you practice in one area actually helps you in the next. When I looked at it that way I didn't view my training as a stick fighting art. Although that is part of it.

Phil Squire
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-18-99 14:11.00 - Post#96871    

In response to Donna

Donna,

Glad to be of help. That's what we are all here for. Now, don't miss these two

Evaluating A Replica Sword to Purchase, or
    "So You Want To Buy A Sword"
    http://www.thehaca.com/essays/newsword.htm

http://www.thehaca.com/essays.htm

The 2 sites above are at Hank Reinhardt's HACA website. He is a foremost expert on swords,sword sparring,etc. and his site is a goldmine.
    Stay safe and all the best, Phil <---<<

*If HTML and/or UBB Code are enabled, this means you can use use HTML and/or UBB Code in your message.

Contact Us | KnifeForums.Com

Be Sure To Visit

"Discussion
    Forums For Gun
    Enthusiasts"

GunForums.Com