thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
thumb_1403803806-1.JPG
thumb_1403370287-172-Box-Elder-Hunter-a.jpg
thumb_1403211911-1.JPG
Current Quote
""those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security"
"
~ Ben Franklin
286 Online Now
25 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 261 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 3 All123
    Username Post: Titanium Knives        (Topic#96096)
    Steelwolf
    Member KnifeNut!
    08-22-99 18:54.00 - Post#96096    

I understand from some other threads that titanium, as a knife material, is not so good as it does not hold an edge well. However there have been a number of knives made from titanium. How do these compare with similarly priced stainless steel blades?

More specifically, I was looking at some of the titanium folders offered by Boker, such as the Orion and Infinity. The manufacturer claims that they behave like any good blade steel, in that they hold an edge well and are easy to sharpen. Is this true? Has anyone had any experience with either of these blades or any other titanium blades?

Angela
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-23-99 05:41.00 - Post#96097    

In response to Steelwolf

Hi!

Boker offer more knives with Titanium handle! All are a very good quality!

)The Super Line,
    )the Stellar knife
    )the super Liner with damascus blade
    Ceramic Clear with titanium handle and ceramic blade
    )ceramic blue with titanium handle and ceramic blade
    )Delta with titanium handle and ceramic blade
    )Titan I with titanium handle and 420 steel blade
    )Titan II with titanium handle and 420 steel blade
    ) Titan III with titanium handle and 440C steel blade

all knives are avaible

Best regards,

Angela
    www.knifeshop.com

Steelwolf
    Member KnifeNut!
    08-23-99 14:56.00 - Post#96098    

In response to Angela

Angela: Thanks for your prompt reply, but please re-read my post. I'm looking for knives with titanium as a blade material, not handle, liner or bolster material. I know Boker and many others make many excellent blades using titanium, but not in the blade.

Another blade that just came to my attention is the Titanium Tiger Neck Knife by Newt Livesay, and I'm checking that out. Anybody had experience with that one?

MikeSchroeder
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-23-99 15:15.00 - Post#96099    

In response to Steelwolf

Benchmade used to offer the Emerson in Titanium blade. Look around, you just might find one if you're lucky.

------------------
    Mike Schroeder AKTI#A000130
    "They can take away my car, my computer and my house, but they can never have my Sebenzas!!!!"

Mike Schroeder AKTI#A000130
    "They can take away my car, my computer and my house, but they can never have my last Sebenza!!!!"

David1967
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-23-99 22:30.00 - Post#96100    

In response to MikeSchroeder

Try http://www.petestacticalknives.com/cusfold.htm
    Warren Thomas folders. They are carbon fiber laminated titanium. I have no experience with them. I guess that "ordinary" people have no use for them - IMO.
    David
    http://www.mikovknives.com

Chief
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-24-99 15:08.00 - Post#96101    

In response to David1967

Titanium is pretty useless as a blade material unless you just have to have a non magnetic material. Its too soft and thereby won't hold an edge, that's why Benchmade quit using it.
    v/r
    John
    USAF 1975 - 2000

http://www.johnferguson.net

General lobster
    Member KnifeNut!
    08-24-99 16:50.00 - Post#96102    

In response to Chief

Chief is right. Notice that titanium liners on folders will wear faster than the blade that they rub against. Even hardened ti will not hold a good edge.

admpiett
    08-24-99 17:42.00 - Post#96103    

In response to General lobster

Benchmade did make the 970ST, a Ti bladed CQC7. As a cutting tool it wasn't very good. Hard to give an edge and it lost that very easily, Ti has very poor wear resistance. Even with the tantalum carbide that was added to blade it didn't work well. It was really meant as a non-magnetic prying tool for use by a bomb squad with emergency cutting ability. If you still want a Ti bladed knife try www.missionknives.com they have fixed and folding knives. They claim their Ti blades are good but I have never seen one.

Steelwolf
    Member KnifeNut!
    08-26-99 20:09.00 - Post#96104    

In response to admpiett

Just got an article on the Boker Orion. They claim to be able to harden their blades to 50HRC. Also went to the Mission Knife website. Found that most Mission Knives have a hardness of 44-46 HRC from the beta-Titanium alloy that they are using. Most knife makers I know of harden their blades to 57-60 HRC. Is 50HRC sufficient to hold a working edge?

And what about the other makers? Do any of them claim certain hardness on their Ti blades?

tom mayo
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-27-99 06:40.00 - Post#96105    

In response to Steelwolf

stellite 6k and 6bh (talonite) are both non magnetic....not nearly as lite as ti...but they will cut....and not bend....ti needs to have something else with it...in the middle to make it a real knife.....i will be glad to make you a knife out of ti...let me know as i have plenty.....is this a covert type thing....i like to make weapons....there are a few types of ti that can be heat treated.. but we might be able to afford them...like aluminum...there are quite a few differnt alloys of ti out there....

------------------
    http://www.mayoknives.com

John 1:17 Love is Stronger than Death

Page 1 of 3 All123
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.499 seconds.   Total Queries: 170   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 12:14.42