KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1490310452-IMG_20170323_125412.jpg
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
Username Post: Need Help With McElou Knife        (Topic#943258)
remington_nut
12-08-16 06:16.33 - Post#2627837    

Hello all,
I just picked this rascal up and can't find any information on a McElou knife. The knife seems to be well made, balanced and will cut you just looking at it. I don't expect this was an expensive knife but it fits good in the hand. The sheath is well made and has a layer of snake skin (you can see in the diamonds) between the leather. I have more pictures if you need them, and can use all the help I can get with identifying this maker and possibly a value. Thanks and God bless Remington_Nut

Attachment

Beawolf
Master Member KnifeNut!
12-08-16 06:47.35 - Post#2627839    

In response to remington_nut

Knife condition does not match sheath condition.
jmho.
Beawolf

Google custom knifemakers

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
12-08-16 10:10.30 - Post#2627841    

In response to Beawolf

I thought that, too.

But, maybe, knife and sheath spent years stored roughly, and forgotten. Unused in a bottom drawer, for instance.

But the sheath fits well, doesn't it.
brianWE
The biggest obstacle in the search for Truth is the belief that you have it, already

remington_nut
12-19-16 08:49.29 - Post#2627972    

In response to brianWE

Hello all,
I bought this from a pawn shop and believe the knife was cleaned and the sheath was left untouched. The knife fits perfectly in the sheath and locks up tight with the offset behind the choil and the offset on the sheath not to mention the snakeskin addition. This is something you rarely see on any home made sheath, nor factory sheath for that matter. The measurements of the knife are OAL 10" BL 5 1/4 from the front of the ricasso. This blade has a false top edge and just appears to be a well made knife. I would write it off as a blade/handle "put together" but it just looks better than that. Still need help....Thanks and God bless. Remington_nut

Attachment

Edited by remington_nut on 12-19-16 08:53.40. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ytreich
Master Member KnifeNut!
12-23-16 14:03.08 - Post#2628044    

In response to remington_nut

If you look closely at the first two pictures, the handle has yellowed slightly more exactly where it is exposed by the sheath.

The underside of the handle isn't a fair curve. It has a small swell. The maker's mark looks hand stamped, with the "M" deeper than the "u". The small notch behind the sharpening choil, and the lanyard hole being too close to the perimeter all point to a hand made knife.

The sheath is certainly tailor made, and matches the knife in every way. Sheathes get dinged up protecting knives.

Looks like a pretty decent stock removal stainless blade with paper micarta scales. The sheath outclasses the knife.

JMO. I like it.
Trust me, for I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.105 seconds.   Total Queries: 120   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 00:43.12