Recent Pictures
thumb_1486949455-LeedySmall.jpg
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1485997912-MVPamberstag2.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
Username Post: A. G. Russell Brute questions        (Topic#943020)
DDS
Journeyman KnifeNut!
09-02-16 14:41.44 - Post#2626908    

I have one of A G’s Brute folders with only an “A G Russell” inscription on the nail nick side of the blade. There are no markings on the opposite side of the blade. It has a coral Rucarta handle which has two lighter streaks on one side of the slabs. I don't know what might have caused these blemishes. Thinking that they might have been dry areas, I rubbed in some oil to no avail. I have some questions that I hope someone here may be able to answer:
-how can one determine if my knife was handmade in the USA or a production version in Japan?
-how would I determine the blade steel material?
- with the two lighter streaked areas on the handle, could this be a “seconds”? If so,
would there be any markings on the blade to denote that it is in fact a “seconds”?
Thank you for any insight!
Dave

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
09-02-16 14:53.48 - Post#2626909    

In response to DDS

Mr Russell doesn't come here, anymore.

But, if the knife was made overseas, I am sure it would be marked with the country of origin. I believe that's the law in the US...and elsewhere.
And, AFAIK, all of AG's "seconds" have a saw cut in the underside edge of the tang.

That said, I have had some experience with AG's "seconds".
I have come to the conclusion that they are, mostly (at least), high quality items that are leftovers from his premium range and are marked to protect collectors who paid top price.

Just my thoughts.
brianWE
If you want to win an argument, it is best to stick to the truth.....or,at least, provable untruths.

DDS
Journeyman KnifeNut!
09-03-16 07:13.30 - Post#2626915    

In response to brianWE

brianWe , thanks for the reply. No notched tang on my knife so I presume it's not a seconds. If my knife was made in the USA the steel would be 154CM and not ATS-34. Regardless of the two lighter streaks on the one handle slab, this is a great knife and is a super smooth opener with a blade thicker than any others I have ever owned. I plan on using it a lot.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.124 seconds.   Total Queries: 92   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 02:45.43