Recent Pictures
thumb_1486949455-LeedySmall.jpg
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1485997912-MVPamberstag2.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: "Thinning the Herd"        (Topic#940881)
Daniel Nighteyes
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-09-14 03:43.07 - Post#2615850    

Folks,

I'm now 68 years old. So, I have begun thinning out my knife collection.

This is intended as a notice-only post:

Though I do not and have not collected them, (!!) I have several -- roughly a dozen -- USGI Mark II knives, commonly called "Ka-Bars", that I wish to sell. Most are World War II blades; a few are Vietnam-era blades including some hard-to-find Conetta Mark IIs.

Make no mistake about it, I will sell them through the Board's established threads and etc. I just wanted to post my intention here.

The brands include Conetta, Camillus, Ka-Bar and PAL. There are also some Robeson Shuredge knives (USN only, no USMCs! They're already gone!)

If anyone has a specific interest/need, just let me know by PM and I will tell you whether I have a blade to match your interest/need. The rest will be handled appropriately.

-- Nighteyes

Edited by Daniel Nighteyes on 10-09-14 03:44.39. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dagger now
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-13-14 11:28.35 - Post#2616272    

In response to Daniel Nighteyes

Kinda sorry to hear that Daniel. I have thought about slimming down also...but

Rey Zhourej
Journeyman KnifeNut!
10-13-14 12:58.48 - Post#2616278    

Sorry to hear that Daniel,but I know the feeling.I will be 71 in a couple months and have also considered thinning the herd as it were. My children and grandchildren have no interest beyond a monetary value of my collection and my great grandchildren are still a bit young.
Fortunately my health is still relatively intact so I can plan things out a bit better. Not sure whether I will part them out or just get rid of the entire accumulation at once.Both options have their good and bad points.

Daniel Nighteyes
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-14-14 05:36.47 - Post#2616313    

In response to Rey Zhourej

Yep. I have an accurate inventory of all 300+ items in my collection, including condition, which should help my family if I get beamed up unexpectedly.

I really do have a difficult time getting rid of them. This is mostly because I put so much effort into acquiring/ cataloging/ maintaining/ admiring them.

That's why I'm starting with the Mark IIs. Like I said, I never actually collected them; they just kinda accumulated over the years.

dagger now
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-14-14 12:56.09 - Post#2616357    

if you can, what was, were, are your favorite?

Daniel Nighteyes
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-15-14 09:37.44 - Post#2616408    

In response to dagger now

• dagger now Said:
if you can, what was, were, are your favorite?

My favorite Mark IIs? My sentimental favorite is the one I actually carried/used back in the 60's, and which I still have. Though I didn't realize it at the time, it turned out to be one of the rare varieties -- a "screw-pommel" USN Camillus. As a result, I have a really soft spot in my heart (head?) for screw-pommel Mark IIs.

I once stumbled onto a significant bargain, and snapped it up even though I didn't really collect Mark IIs. That was a USMC-marked Robeson Shuredge, the rarest Mark II by far. I got it for $350, and I recently sold it on Frank T's website for $1,200.

As most of you know by now I also favor "oddball" blades. I have a USMC-marked Camillus Mark II with a PAL RH-36 handle. I have a "Case" Mark II, even though Case never made production Mark IIs. (Obviously somebody faked the markings.) The list continues from there...

-- Nighteyes

Edited by Daniel Nighteyes on 10-15-14 09:38.29. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Rey Zhourej
Journeyman KnifeNut!
10-17-14 09:15.30 - Post#2616553    

Didn't realize the Robeson USMC knives were rare;the guy I got the John Ek knife from has one and possibly two.I'll have to speak with him when he gets back to town.I didn't really pay too much attention to the military stuff he had as I really don't collect them and am not really knowledgeable about them.

Daniel Nighteyes
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-28-14 01:13.23 - Post#2617261    

In response to Rey Zhourej

• Rey Zhourej Said:
Didn't realize the Robeson USMC knives were rare;the guy I got the John Ek knife from has one and possibly two.I'll have to speak with him when he gets back to town.I didn't really pay too much attention to the military stuff he had as I really don't collect them and am not really knowledgeable about them.

Make sure they're USMC-marked; the USN-marked Robesons are uncommon, but not rare.

I still have two USN-marked Robesons. One of them is "first-generation" (meaning it has the round threaded tang and is blade-marked) and is in amazingly good condition. The other is a very-well-used "second-generation" (rectangular tang) that, for some reason, had its guard markings removed. In fact, the only thing I could use to positively identify it as a Robeson is the characteristic "slender-profile" handle; nobody else has ever made them that way.

Edited by Daniel Nighteyes on 10-28-14 01:16.53. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Daniel Nighteyes
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-29-14 05:27.53 - Post#2617367    

I have now posted the list on the Knives For Sale forum. It is a PDF that describes ten Mark IIs that I am putting up for sale. There are three Camillus, three Ka-Bar, two PAL and two Robeson. The asking prices range from a high of $175 to a low of $80. As a courtesy I am also posting it here.

I have not made the pics yet -- that's going to take a while. However, if you see one that interests you, let me know and I'll get the pics made and back to you as soon as feasible.

Any and all sales will be made according to the rules and guidelines of knifeforums.com

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Attachment

Edited by Daniel Nighteyes on 10-29-14 05:29.05. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Daniel Nighteyes
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-31-14 04:20.54 - Post#2617479    

Consider Number 6 (the guard-marked USN Ka-Bar) as "Sale Pending."

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.112 seconds.   Total Queries: 183   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 17:33.02