KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1492726062-20170420_094015.jpg
thumb_1491582663-thumb_23.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
Username Post: 1918 AULION TRENCH KNIFE        (Topic#940209)
doormann
Journeyman KnifeNut!
08-18-14 13:04.22 - Post#2611836    

A very good friend of mine who is having some health issues has asked me to help him find a 1918 aulion trench knife. I don't know much about military knives but I would like to help him out if I can. does anyone know where I could find a nice example with a sheath if possible? thanks in advance, andy r.

Daniel Nighteyes
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-18-14 17:03.50 - Post#2611851    

In response to doormann

Real,complete and intact 1918 trench knives can be difficult to find. Au Lion 1918 trench knives are even more difficult to find, and to find one with a decent scabbard...

My best suggestion is to haunt the online gun and knife sale boards, eBay, and other such places. Don't forget to visit the Knives for Sale section of Frank Trzaska's website

One way to start is by Googling "1918 Au Lion", then just follow the yellow brick roads.

Good luck!

-- Nighteyes

PS: Back in June, a 1918 Au Lion scabbard - no knife - sold on eBay for $292.00

eBay "Sold" Listing

Edited by Daniel Nighteyes on 08-18-14 17:12.37. Reason for edit: No reason given.

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-19-14 07:39.24 - Post#2611916    

In response to Daniel Nighteyes

You won't find many knuckle-knives on eBay...
they are not allowed. AFAIK.
brianWE
Opinions? I have many. Some I don't, even, know about until I read my posts.

Daniel Nighteyes
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-19-14 08:42.01 - Post#2611921    

In response to brianWE

• brianWE Said:
You won't find many knuckle-knives on eBay...
they are not allowed. AFAIK.

I think they may have backed off of that stance a bit. But hey, whadda I know?

sac troop
Journeyman KnifeNut!
08-19-14 09:11.28 - Post#2611932    

In response to Daniel Nighteyes

The WW1 knuckle knives are one of the most misrepresented in military knife collecting, read that as "Fakes abound".
Without a lot of study and research combined with a lot of patients you can count on investing a lot of dollars for one.
Be warned the amount you pay for one doesn't make it authentic.

Bhead
10-28-14 13:37.16 - Post#2617321    

In response to doormann

Is this what you are looking for? Maybe sac troop can help us on authentication of it? I have had this in a wooden ammo box since I was a kid and had no idea what it was until a day ago.

Attachment

doormann
Journeyman KnifeNut!
10-28-14 14:32.36 - Post#2617324    

In response to Bhead

• Bhead Said:
Is this what you are looking for? Maybe sac troop can help us on authentication of it? I have had this in a wooden ammo box since I was a kid and had no idea what it was until a day ago.

thanks for the reply, I sent you a pm. andy r.

sac troop
Journeyman KnifeNut!
10-30-14 04:59.42 - Post#2617430    

In response to Bhead

Bhead, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm going to pass on authenticating a WW1 blade. It's outside my main interest in knife collecting, ( WW2 to Vietnam U.S.), and it's one thing to have learned enough about an item to spot the more obvious discrepancies, and quite another to have learned enough about the details and correct variances in an original item to knowingly verify it's authenticity.
Besides it's time period, it's basically French and while I know there are known good variations in them these would be outside my network, as some say. Thanks.
There are a lot who collect the knuckle knives who will be much more helpful than I can be in this case.

Edited by sac troop on 10-30-14 05:01.16. Reason for edit: No reason given.

doormann
Journeyman KnifeNut!
10-30-14 08:58.09 - Post#2617441    

In response to sac troop

• sac troop Said:
Bhead, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm going to pass on authenticating a WW1 blade. It's outside my main interest in knife collecting, ( WW2 to Vietnam U.S.), and it's one thing to have learned enough about an item to spot the more obvious discrepancies, and quite another to have learned enough about the details and correct variances in an original item to knowingly verify it's authenticity.

Besides it's time period, it's basically French and while I know there are known good variations in them these would be outside my network, as some say. Thanks.
There are a lot who collect the knuckle knives who will be much more helpful than I can be in this case.

Very interesting! Thanks for your response to this thread.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.082 seconds.   Total Queries: 172   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 09:38.55