KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1492726062-20170420_094015.jpg
thumb_1491582663-thumb_23.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
Username Post: Help ID Large AG Russell Dagger        (Topic#939318)
mplsatty
Member KnifeNut!
06-13-14 15:17.19 - Post#2605466    

Hello, all! About 20 years ago, a girlfriend bought me an AG Russell dagger that looks a bit like a Gerber MKII but is also quite different. She picked it up at a gun shop on consignment. It's about 12" long, double edged with double serrations, rubberized grip. I'll try to attach a photo.

I'd appreciate any help on this one -- I don't plan to sell it, just want to know more about it for purposes of sentiment & curiosity. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachment

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
06-13-14 15:39.47 - Post#2605467    

In response to mplsatty

No idea...but the blade reminds me of my old Kershaw Amphibian. Just scaled up.

And the handle looks like something Blackjack might have come up with.

Looking forward to real information!
brianWE
Opinions? I have many. Some I don't, even, know about until I read my posts.

lvk
Journeyman KnifeNut!
06-16-14 08:01.24 - Post#2605737    

In response to brianWE

Hello,
it is a nice dagger, that you show! Has it got a flat, lightly hollow grind on the back of the blade and the front is like a triangular?
I assume you have an "Iron Eagle" Fighting Dagger, made in Seki/Japan. In Germany sold in the year 2001/2002 by HALLER MESSER, it was made from steel 440. It reminds a little bit at a BlackJack "Tartan Dirk", but only a little bit and only on the first view.
Best regards
lvk

Attachment

lvk
Journeyman KnifeNut!
06-16-14 08:15.21 - Post#2605740    

In response to lvk

Excuse me, I saw it too late, that there is a fuller in the middle of the blade. There is another "Iron Eagle" Tactical Fighter in the same catalog showing your blade, but the bolster and handle of the first Fighter. I think it is a variation of this fine, but not too expensive cutlery.

Attachment

mplsatty
Member KnifeNut!
06-19-14 12:01.56 - Post#2606040    

In response to brianWE

Thanks brian! Definitely hoping we'll get a positive ID here soon. Guessing there might be a bit of lag time due to BLADE, but hopefully there will be more AG fans on soon (maybe AG himself?)... Take care, man!

mplsatty
Member KnifeNut!
06-19-14 12:07.48 - Post#2606041    

In response to lvk

lvk, thanks for coming up with these photos! Yes, the 2nd photo is close, but mine is actually stamped A.G. Russell. With your photo I can only assume A.G. contracted the knife out to the same maker in your photo, which is pretty good to know, very much narrows it down. I'm not thinking I have any massive collector score here, I'm just more curious about it than anything.

It was the first time a woman bought me a knife -- & a good knife at that, she really went out on a limb with that purchase (she had to do the research even to know to look at that gun store, & gun stores are not her place -- then to drop a bit of serious cash -- at least serious for a college student), Yeah, I cherish it a bit more because of all of this.

A. G. Russell
Master Member KnifeNut!
07-01-14 03:20.25 - Post#2607137    

In response to mplsatty

Made those in Japan many years ago, no idea what the blade steel was, probably AUS8

mplsatty
Member KnifeNut!
07-06-14 04:23.27 - Post#2607566    

In response to A. G. Russell

Mr. Russell -- thanks for the response! Sounds like it may have been a relatively short run model.

It's got a feature I think is really cool -- there's a divot in the ricasso, a slight circular depression machined in, perfectly placed for the thumb if holding it in a loose grip for quick transitions between stabbing & slashing.

Unfortunately the photos I don't show this feature, I'll have to take more photos at some point.

Take care, & thanks again!

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.086 seconds.   Total Queries: 159   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 13:37.45