KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1490310452-IMG_20170323_125412.jpg
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
Username Post: 35mm Suprise        (Topic#938229)
SoAZKnifenGunNut
04-08-14 11:52.30 - Post#2597264    

My brother has a group of posts going with some Soldiers currently deployed. He was taking pictures of home (Ft. Huachuca and Sierra Vista) and posting them to a unit that he works with at the base.

So recently he'd been talking with a fellow who also had a CRKT Operation Iraqi Freedom folder (the tip of mine was broken but I was presently surprised when it took well to reshaping.)

So we took some pictures and to our surprise we got a few requests for knife and firearm photos. My brother was taking some photos of the (Barry) Dawson knives (his are pristine but mine has seen heavy use) all three are a good 7mm thick.

So he borrowed mine and wanted to include a custom Randal copy so we staged them at his place a few weekends back.

However his 16.2 Mega Pixel Nikon D5100 was claimed by his daughter-in-law during her ongoing visit and I traded the Canon Digital Rebel XT on a firearm. (Both used 18-55 f3.5 to 5.6 factory zoom lenses.) That left my Sony DSC-F707 and his old Minolta Dimage 7hi and he did not want to use either of those so he ended up making a test out of it shooting the photos with three 35mm SLRs; (a Canon F1 (with his FD/SSC 50mm f3.5 Macro,) a Nikon F2 (with his 105mm f2.8 Micro Nikor) and a Minolta XE-7 (with a MD 50mm f3.5 Macro Rokkor-X.) All mounted on a good heavy (Slik) tri-pod with cable releases.

Now the first major eye opener here, the Minolta Micro Rokkor-X was as sharp and superb as the Micro Nikor and the Macro FD/SSC to the naked eye! And under magnification the Minolta Micro Rokkor-X was very close to the Nikor and FD/SSC in line counting as well. The edge sharpness was better on the FD/SSC by a very small margin and the Micro Nikor and the Minolta Micro Rokkor-X were a dead heat.

But that's not the kicker! The photos made via the slides (fuji velvia 50 ISO) were superb (custom 5 X 7s and some 8 X 10s.) We scanned the slides in at work with a pretty ho hum UMax scanner. When we finally got to compare them with the Nikon D5100 (Nikor AF-S DX 18-55 f3.5 to 5.6) there was no comparison! The 35mm shots were MUCH sharper and crisper and showed a whole lot more detail not to mention had a much more pleasing color rendition!

These results (using the same lighting conditions and backgrounds) were pretty shocking actually!

Nice to see the old Dinosaurs winning one for a change!

SaranacADK
Master Member KnifeNut!
05-23-14 07:39.31 - Post#2602926    

In response to SoAZKnifenGunNut

I know the feeling.

Film has very high resolution and good glass is good glass.

More than once I have been tempted to resurrect my old Nikkormat.

I've gotten used to the instant gratification of digital, I guess that holds me up.

All the gee-wizardry of the new cameras is fantastic if you have only one chance to get the shot. You will get the shot.

I find though when I have the time to compose and think about light, composition and the mood I am looking for I am turning a lot of it off.

I was never fully manual, never seemed to have the funds for a decent light meter for one, so I lived in Aperture priority mode.

I still find myself going back to that now. Often fighting with the auto ISO messin' up what I'm trying to do!
- Mike
BRKCA Mike #160
Founding Member

Halvis
Master Member KnifeNut!
12-04-14 16:33.39 - Post#2620178    

In response to SaranacADK

NPR

Vinyl, Once Thought Dead, Makes A Comeback In The Digital Age
November 29, 2014 5:49 PM ET
Denise Guerra
Listen to the Story

All Things Considered
4 min 0 sec

An employee demonstrates how a mother is checked for sound quality before it is duplicated during production at the Rainbo Records factory in Canoga Park, Calif. The vinyl record industry has seen an uptick in sales in recent years, keeping manufacturers like Rainbo busy.

An employee demonstrates how a mother is checked for sound quality before it is duplicated during production at the Rainbo Records factory in Canoga Park, Calif. The vinyl record industry has seen an uptick in sales in recent years, keeping manufacturers like Rainbo busy.
Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg via Getty Images

In the '90s, Rainbo Records owner Steve Sheldon wanted to keep his vinyl presses going.

Everyone thought he was crazy; they told him it was a dead format. But Sheldon was adamant.

"I actually said, many times, 'I think it will be around longer than CDs,' " Sheldon says.

Today, his Canoga Park, Calif., operation is massive. There are sound testing rooms, large printers for making labels and rows of workers stuffing sleeves. And then there are the actual presses themselves — 14 of them — giving off smoke and smelling of burnt rubber.

Sheldon describes the process as being somewhat like using a waffle iron. Instead of batter, they start with melted vinyl, squeezing it into a groove using hydraulic pressure.

The entire plant produces 28 records a minute, but Sheldon wishes he could press more. He's increased his staff and now presses records 24 hours a day, 6 days a week to keep up with demand.

And it's not just Rainbo Records: Vinyl presses all across the country are feeling the strain as the old format makes a comeback with a new generation.

"Vinyl right now is really the only bright spot in terms of album sales this year," says Keith Caulfield, who tracks music charts for Billboard Magazine. He says before 2008, vinyl sales were so low they didn't even publish the numbers.

But in the last six years, vinyl sales have tripled; in the first part of 2014, Billboard counted 6.5 million units sold. Currently vinyl makes up 3.5 percent of overall music sales, according to music tracker Nielsen SoundScan; a decade ago, that figure was 0.2 percent.

Digital downloads and CDs still make up the majority, but sales for those formats are down.

"It's just really hard to convince people to spend money on buying music — period," Caulfield says. "You know, it's hard to get people to even buy a subscription to services like Spotify or Beats Music."

Caulfield says if you can actually find a segment of the marketplace where there is growth, like vinyl, then that's something to cheer — and that's a product they ought to make more of.

National retail chains like Best Buy, Urban Outfitters and even Whole Foods are taking notice. They now carry vinyl in some stores across the country.

But it's the indie stores, the old mom-and-pop shops, that still make up the backbone of vinyl sellers. Stores like Amoeba Music in Hollywood, where on a recent day Asaf Mordoch was in the rock section, a genre that makes up the majority of vinyl purchases.

Now 37, Mordoch has been collecting records since he was 12 years old. Flipping through the B section records of Bowie, Bon Jovi and Blur, he says back in the day, records were harder to find.
Taylor Swift, whose 1989 is currently the No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 and whose song "Blank Space" is at the top of the Hot 100, even though her music is not available on Spotify.
The Record
Commerce Vs. Consumption: A Revolutionary Rethink Of Billboard's Album Chart

"You usually had to go through swap meets [or] dig through people's garages," Mordoch says. "But because there were less stores and less buying and selling, there was also a lot less competition."

People buying records today range from the nostalgic to the curious. And for many shoppers, like 28-year-old Veronica Martinez, it's about making music tangible.

"The way I consumed music has been so instant and so immediate, especially with Spotify and online streaming services," Martinez says. "I kind of just want to go back to the way I used to listen to it as a kid."

Martinez says that's what happens when she picks up a record, looks at the artwork, and reads the lyrics. She says she's becoming immersed in what the artist is intending to do.

Customers like Martinez are giving vinyl pressers like Steve Sheldon extra business. He says that if you wanted to place a vinyl order now, you would have to wait as long as five months to receive it.

Kodachrome = 180 gram vinyl.
BRKCA Mike #308
Founding Member

wescobts
Master Member KnifeNut!
01-04-15 02:16.23 - Post#2622430    

In response to Halvis

I on the other hand appreciate the texture of 35mm film. The soft yet clear images that didn't look sterile.

My Nikon 610 along with my Nikkor lenses have a tendency to create "sterile" images. I often shoot in a journalistic manner, so the very clear and sharp images works well in this discipline.

Then I want to shoot a little "artsy" and actually have to soften the images through the camera. In film, that was never a problem.

I miss film, the tactile feel, my hand constantly on the aperture ring, the sound of the film being advanced.

As we all know nothing lasts' forever.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.074 seconds.   Total Queries: 107   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 02:33.13