KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1490310452-IMG_20170323_125412.jpg
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
Username Post: Sandbox Bowie        (Topic#937451)
Magicactus
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-01-14 05:08.35 - Post#2591960    

I purchased the Sandbox Bowie about a year ago from the A.G. Russel website. It is truly a beautifully designed knife.

Although it was designed for soldiers I think it would make for a great camp knife sporting such a nice wide blade.

For now I am still thinking I will keep this one as a safe queen although it is begging to chop something I am curious as to whether anyone has had a chance to use one yet.

The steel is a special steel apparently found for this knife specifically called DM1. I am wondering how it fairs out in the field. I believe it is a tool steel so toughness should be right up there, along with ease of sharpen ability.

Has anyone had a chance to play with this knife.. how is it in the field... how well does it hold its edge... any problems with chipping... and how would you compare sharpening it to something like A2 tool steel or one of the new super steels?

Frank

Attachment

Magicactus
Master Member KnifeNut!
05-23-14 02:14.47 - Post#2602888    

In response to Magicactus

Wow... three months and not a word on this knife... I guess nobody has ever had an interest in it... well I like it, but doubt I will ever use it so one day it might be up for sale... to many other knives here I prefer to play with.

Frank

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
05-23-14 06:48.52 - Post#2602917    

In response to Magicactus

So many knives...so little money
brianWE
The biggest obstacle in the search for Truth is the belief that you have it, already

A. G. Russell
Master Member KnifeNut!
07-01-14 03:46.23 - Post#2607141    

In response to brianWE

Frank,

I am sorry you had to wait. In my opinion, that is the best steel for a tough knife to be used in today's military operations.

In Canada as a camp knife it is tough but you will have to pay close attention to the edge, it will rust if not cared for. You will find that it REALLY holds an edge!

Magicactus
Master Member KnifeNut!
11-03-14 02:58.01 - Post#2617681    

In response to A. G. Russell

Thank you.. it is a really cool design.

Frank

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.086 seconds.   Total Queries: 118   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 19:17.13