thumb_1407960593-1.JPG
thumb_1407750066-Crown_Stag_Skinner__1711_x_1140_.jpg
thumb_1407672353-1.JPG_big.jpg
thumb_1407641097-DSC_0004_1.JPG
thumb_1407270483-1.JPG
thumb_1407160770-20140802_103713-2.jpg
thumb_1406927116-10584106_907845969229455_2121226519465794003_n.jpg
Current Quote
"An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before. An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before.
Mark Twain
US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)
"
~ Mark Twain
216 Online Now
33 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 183 guests are online now.
     Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
    Username Post: OT:the use of knife and fork        (Topic#934828)
    wescobts
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-27-13 03:16.54 - Post#2571860    

In response to siber

I eat the American way, and yes speedo1 the left hand is in my lap, it was the way i was taught

I must admit the english way looks very civilized, and have tried it, but with no real success.

As a young boy my father taught us table manners, but sadly the Army has wrecked a major part of them... speed.

I eat way too fast, to a level which is rude. I have to keep reminding my self to slow down, but find it very difficult. I feel one reason is i wait to eat only when famished, the hunger pains drive me to a "survival" mode.

I would like to introduce the english method, which i feel would slow me down due to the learning curve.

Nonetheless an interesting thread.

mack1
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-27-13 05:53.38 - Post#2571892    

In response to Speed01

• Speed01 Said:
    ..., eat with right while left hand is in lap!

(Bet you savages forgot that last part!!)

Nope. Been doin' it that way since Boot Camp.
    Russ

BRKCA Mike #556
    Founding Member

Black Sheep Crew

siber
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-27-13 07:06.53 - Post#2571900    

In response to mack1

The English way is reasonably new. In the days of Queen Victoria, there was a lot of "new" money made by industrialists, and to show they were better than the serfs and street urchins of the lower classes, like me, they invented complicated rules on how to behave, in order to set themselves apart.

Along with this things such as fish forks and desert spoons were invented, to show you had purchased your own silver cutlery and not inherited it from your family. Its all in the debrets guide, not that I have ever had the need to read it, I just doth my cap sirs, your fancy ways aint for the likes of me, I knows my place.
    I wish I knew now, as much as I thought I did when I was 18

Phil
    BRKCA Mike #1158

mack1
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-28-13 09:09.21 - Post#2572064    

In response to siber

OT here but, all your hatches battened down, Phil?
    Russ

BRKCA Mike #556
    Founding Member

Black Sheep Crew

siber
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-28-13 09:27.32 - Post#2572072    

In response to mack1

They were Russ, we missed the worst of it here, a few trees down but no real harm done. The south of England got the worst, unfortunately four died

Phil
    BRKCA Mike #1158

mack1
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-28-13 09:43.50 - Post#2572083    

In response to siber

Fortunate it was that few, from all I heard they expected.

Worst in a decade, wasn't it?
    Russ

BRKCA Mike #556
    Founding Member

Black Sheep Crew

mack1
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-28-13 09:55.59 - Post#2572088    

In response to mack1

I just saw, on Yahoo, the death toll is up to 13.
    Russ

BRKCA Mike #556
    Founding Member

Black Sheep Crew

siber
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-28-13 13:05.38 - Post#2572124    

In response to mack1

Not sure where that came from russ, BBC says four, one in a static caravan, and one in a car, both killed by falling trees. two more I a household gas explosion, again caused by falling trees. Will keep my eye on the news, but only four so far, and that's four to many for me.

Phil
    BRKCA Mike #1158

Distelfink
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-28-13 17:04.36 - Post#2572152    

In response to MikeGrasso

• MikeGrasso Said:
    Fork in support hand, tines down.
    Knife in primary hand.
    Slice.
    Fork to mouth.
    If slicing is not needed, switch fork to primary hand.
    Repeat as necessary.

Fork etiquette

Dinner Fork
    When used in conjunction with a knife to cut and consume food in Western social settings, two forms of fork etiquette are common. In the European style, the diner keeps the fork in his or her left hand, while in the American style the fork is shifted between the left and right hands. The American style is most common in the United States, but the European style is considered proper in other countries.

Originally, the traditional European method, once the fork was adopted as a utensil, was to transfer the fork to the right hand after cutting food, as it had been considered proper for all utensils to be used with the right hand only. This tradition was brought to America by British colonists and is still in use in the United States. Europe adopted the more rapid style of eating in relatively modern times.

European style
    The European style, also called the continental style, is to hold the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right. Once a bite-sized piece of food has been cut, it is conducted straight to the mouth by the left hand. The tines remain pointing down.
    The knife and fork are both held with the handle running along the palm and extending out to be held by thumb and forefinger. This style is sometimes called "hidden handle" because the palm conceals the handle.

American style
    In the American style, also called the zig-zag method or fork switching, the knife is initially held in the right hand and the fork in the left. Holding food to the plate with the fork tines-down, a single bite-sized piece is cut with the knife. The knife is then set down on the plate, the fork transferred from the left hand to the right hand, and the food is brought to the mouth for consumption. The fork is then transferred back to the left hand and the knife is picked up with the right. In contrast to the European hidden handle grip, in the American style the fork is held much like a spoon or pen once it is transferred to the right hand to convey food to the mouth. Though called "American style", this style originated in Europe.

Hybrid style
    Though not endorsed by most etiquette guides, in the United States, a hybrid of the American and European styles is becoming prevalent. In this style, the fork is held in the dominant hand while cutting with the knife in off hand. The tines of the fork are normally kept up for use as a scoop.

OMG, Mike Grasso reads Emily Post!

NEVER will I underestimate him again.

The many methods posted on this thread I am going to employ as exercise drills, all for the purpose of clarifying my proprioceptive map; and for the skill of it.

Thank you gentlemen.
    BRKCA MIKE #1137

Blade21
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-28-13 23:32.12 - Post#2572170    

In response to mack1

• mack1 Said:
    I just saw, on Yahoo, the death toll is up to 13.

It's a small world. When the storm left the UK it moved to the continent. Two more died in the Netherlands. And I think I read that four more died in Germany.

Twan

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.293 seconds.   Total Queries: 167   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 10:49.56