thumb_1416152128-DSC_0659.JPG
thumb_1415975734-2.JPG
thumb_1415712996-1.JPG
thumb_1415574694-MVP_66bsmallerfilesize.jpg
thumb_1415159184-0004.jpg
thumb_1414982077-DSCF3235.JPG
thumb_1414779645-161120105616.jpg
Current Quote
"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered."
~ Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
238 Online Now
17 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 221 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 5 1234>
    Username Post: Stones and other compounds        (Topic#934378)
    ToolFool
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 12:00.28 - Post#2568091    

Anyone have any interpretations on how to use the various kinds of stones and or other sharpening devices on the market?

Natural vs Synthetic stones

Price Guide/Quality Guide/Opinions

Stones for Carbon steel vs Inox steel?

Blade finishing for carbon vs stainless.

Can a natural stone be as regular as synthetic?

If anybody is compelled to debunk any misconceptions, common or otherwise, feel free.

ToolFool
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 12:24.24 - Post#2568094    

In response to ToolFool

Also, any advice on sharpening compounds for Opinel knives and other convex blades welcome.

locutus
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 13:10.27 - Post#2568103    

In response to ToolFool

I'll debunk the first myth. "You can get top quality sharpening equipment dirt cheap."
    DARK LORD OF THE SWARF

ToolFool
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 15:11.15 - Post#2568122    

In response to locutus

You can get top quality sharpening equipment off the ground if your willing to pour thousands of dollars worth of time into it.

ToolFool
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 15:13.09 - Post#2568123    

In response to ToolFool

Your trying to preach to a guy that uses the back of a kitchen knife to hone other knives.

ken123
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 16:12.12 - Post#2568130    

In response to ToolFool

Well, this is a pretty broad range of topics. Help me out a bit and tell me what your goals are that you are trying to accomplish regarding sharpening knives. What type of knives are you sharpening and what do you use now? What do you wish to accomplish that you are unsatisfied with using your current equipment and technique?

When you refer to natural stones, could you narrow it down - stones from which country, fine or coarse stones. Are you polishing $5 knives or half million dollar swords or something inbetween?

Are you looking for solutions that cost pennies or thousands of dollars?

Also give us an idea of your skill level.

Are your goals to sharpen your edges or does this also include aesthetic considerations such as traditional Kasumi finishes?

Finally pick the one question you listed that you most want to get answered

---
    Ken
    Facebook
    Nubatama Stones, Diamond/CBN Sprays
    Natural Stones
    Atomas

Ken's Corner

ToolFool
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 16:53.18 - Post#2568134    

In response to ken123

Right now my list of tools is literally at one file and a kitchen knife stick honer. I just moved out of my parents house where there were tools a'plenty.

I've sharpened tools and knives since I was about 14, I'm 21.

The first priority of mine, when it comes to sharpening, is a scandi. There are some scores in the blade that I need to get out so I need to start from a rough grit and go to a fine, and eventually finish. I plan on doing this with a stone, but it might not even be feasable due to the precision it would take. I would have a lot easier time doing this on my old wheel.

I'll admit I'm nowhere near perfect, but I can get what I consider an awesome level of accuracy when it comes to blade angle.

Questions that I have include:
    What effect does stone composition have on finish, considering equal grit ratings?

Are natural stones reliable, or even available at a decent price?

How many stones minimum would you suggest to take a knife from file or grinder to finish product?

I have no problem putting a $100 edge on a $20-50 knife, but I'll admit that is all I own, or even want to own really. I believe time and love can compensate for initial blade cost and fancy sharpeners (on edge, not durability), people are amazed how sharp I can make anything. Most of my knives are stainless, but I want to know the differences between sharpening stainless and carbon as well, including the desired finishes for both.

Sorry I can't just limit it down to one specific question, there are so many facets to this topic.

knifetinkerer
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 17:14.00 - Post#2568137    

In response to ToolFool

I can advise on oilstones. Others can advise on waterstones. I have some of them but haven't warmed up to them. Most serious sharpeners favor Waterstones.

As I said before, my coarsest two grits come from a Norton JB8 Crystolon combo stone. It's presoaked with oil. You can get cheaper oilstones but this is about a $20 stone, which is inexpensive and really the lowest I would go for quality.

Then on to a hard Arkansas stone. This is a natural stone from America. It doesn't cut fast, but it doesn't dish fast, either. Japanese natural stones are better but cost real money.

Then it's on to your compounds.

I don't sharpen stainless steels any different from plain carbon.

The Norton JB8 and a 6" or 8" hard Arkansas and a homemade honing paddle are enough to get you going.

If you'd rather start with higher quality, someone can advise you on a starter set of waterstones. I have a coarse Norton and a combo King, and like I said, they have yet to really grow on me.

knifetinkerer
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 17:16.49 - Post#2568138    

In response to knifetinkerer

Synthetic abrasives tend to leave more of a mirror finish vs Arkansas. Arkansas leaves a foggy finish.

ToolFool
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-02-13 17:30.31 - Post#2568142    

In response to knifetinkerer

• knifetinkerer Said:
    Synthetic abrasives tend to leave more of a mirror finish vs Arkansas. Arkansas leaves a foggy finish.

Awesome. And for a finish stone, does a softer compound make for a 'foggier' or lower grit finish?

Another thing that would be cool to find out is what some/all of the people on here use as the finish compound for their various knives.

I know people on here don't sharpen a bowie knife the same way or with the same stones as an Opinel, so those are some of the nuances and intricacies I'd like to get from you guys as well.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 1234>
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.424 seconds.   Total Queries: 166   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 13:50.46