thumb_1416152128-DSC_0659.JPG
thumb_1415975734-2.JPG
thumb_1415712996-1.JPG
thumb_1415574694-MVP_66bsmallerfilesize.jpg
thumb_1415159184-0004.jpg
thumb_1414982077-DSCF3235.JPG
thumb_1414779645-161120105616.jpg
Current Quote
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
207 Online Now
24 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 183 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 8 1234>» Last
    Username Post: EZE Sharp / Edge-Pro        (Topic#934352)
    wickedsharpknives
    09-30-13 23:30.16 - Post#2567835    

I am a professional knife sharpener. I am shopping for a hand guided sharpener to sharpen at a Farmers Market that will not let me use my tormek etc. I am trying to decide whether to get the Eze Sharp or an Edge Pro. The big differeance seems to be the stones. The Eze Sharp uses full size stones and Edge pro much smaller. Will replacing the small stones become expensive? Can I use water stones on the EZ sharp? What advice do you have for usng both me?

locutus
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-01-13 02:43.10 - Post#2567851    

In response to wickedsharpknives

The EZE Sharp works well with water stones, and large knives. I have one, but seldom use it because I seldom sharpen kitchen knives.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

I use the Edge-Pro for 95 percent of my sharpening.

The stones are not really expensive to replace.

To me, the EP is more versatile, but perhaps that is because my knives are smaller than kitchen knives.
    DARK LORD OF THE SWARF

Edited by locutus on 10-01-13 02:46.48. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-01-13 07:06.39 - Post#2567880    

In response to locutus

You mean you can't get electricity?

If I couldn't use electricity, I'd freehand everything. It's WAY faster than guided sharpeners.

Trust me, for I like big butts and I cannot lie.

locutus
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-01-13 07:13.37 - Post#2567881    

In response to ytreich

• ytreich Said:
    You mean you can't get electricity?

If I couldn't use electricity, I'd freehand everything. It's WAY faster than guided sharpeners.

For you, perhaps. Not for me.
    DARK LORD OF THE SWARF

Volt
    Member KnifeNut!
    10-01-13 12:40.21 - Post#2567932    

In response to ytreich

I use my edge pro for knives both large and small with fantastic results. I like to free hand sharpen, but at events I prefer a guided system. If I have access to electricity at an event I mostly use a guided system on a belt sander.
    “The more I know about people, the better I like my dog.” – Mark Twain

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-01-13 15:18.04 - Post#2567959    

In response to wickedsharpknives

• wickedsharpknives Said:
    I am a professional knife sharpener.

Wait a minute...

What do you mean by this? How many knives do you sharpen?

How long do you think it takes to sharpen a knife?

How much do you charge?

If you're a professional knife sharpener, why are you even asking such a question?

Ok, ok. Whatever. Apparently you think a Tormek is a viable system. Why can't you use it? No electricity or what?

Rob Babcock
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-01-13 16:14.26 - Post#2567969    

In response to ytreich

Lots of pros do seem to use the Tormek, especially guys that also sharpen tools (chisels, planes, garden stuff).

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-04-13 08:32.34 - Post#2568372    

In response to Rob Babcock

I've got a Tormak. The bench grinder works better for almost all chisels.

Do you have any idea how much metal usually has to be removed to sharpen a carpenter's chisel? I've been playing this game for 30 years. I do know.

I probably sharpen 3 chisels per year, other than my own. It's not even significant enough to be considered a hobby.

I don't know a single wood turner that doesn't know how to sharpen their tools. It's the second thing you have to learn.

Tormeks do work well for turning tools, but sharpening someone else's happens.... almost never.

Garden stuff? That's like $50 per year if you're lucky.

I don't know of any garden tools that require more refinement than an angle grinder or bench grinder. Again, Tormeks are way too slow. I can not fathom sharpening a lawnmower blade with one.

A good file is much more efficient, and sufficient. Actually, that holds true with all lawn and garden equipment that I know of.

We are totally speculating. Read the opening statement again.

How much money can be made off an Edge Pro at an event?

Do you have any idea in what kind of condition the average guy keeps his knife?

Sorry if I came across harshly. Apparently this guy thinks he knows a lot more than he actually knows.

"Professional sharpener" probably means different things to different people.

If you can only sharpen some things properly on one machine, that doesn't mean "professional sharpening" to me.

Being fluent with proper tools for the job or circumstances at hand go a lot farther toward being a professional sharpener IMHO.

Sorry that I seem to have scared him off, but if he were really any kind of sharpener, he probably wouldn't been put off.

Rob Babcock
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-04-13 15:59.00 - Post#2568446    

In response to ytreich

I dunno, if you accept $5 to sharpen one knife that makes you professional. I was just taking the OP at face value. Me, I couldn't make much money with an EP because I'm a pretty slow sharpener when I'm not using my Kalamazoo!

I've done a few chisels and other tools, but I'm not an expert woodworker. But I imagine you're right, any pro woodworker or dedicated amateur worth his or her salt can sharpen their own tools. I've also never used a Tormek, so I don't know how useful it is for 'professional' sharpening. In my few decades of being into knives I've known some guys that like that machine. Me, I'm all about stones and belts.

Personally I agree with your definition of professional. One really should know various techniques before hanging out their shingle as a Pro.

Rob Babcock
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-04-13 16:55.34 - Post#2568451    

In response to ytreich

• ytreich Said:

How much money can be made off an Edge Pro at an event?

FWIW some guys are pretty fast with one. I dunno if you know Chico B. but he set his up at Gander and sharpened for years there. Made pretty good money and got pretty fast. He now does mostly kitchen knives IIRC, works in Mark Richmond's general neck of the woods. He's all EP all the time.

Page 1 of 8 1234>» Last
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.341 seconds.   Total Queries: 167   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 11:40.09