KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Members
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1483411311-MVP_187-188bb.jpg
Current Quote
"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your
freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I
took half the pains to preserve it."
~ John Adams
134 Online Now
1 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 133 guests are online now.
    Username Post: original Acies- new production?        (Topic#934058)
    shinbone
    09-14-13 04:39.58 - Post#2565396    

This is an open letter to A.G. Russell Knives. Anyone else is free to chime in.

I need a good folder to carry in the field hunting and dog training. I would like a knife with intelligent design (no unnecessary gimmicky features), high quality fabrication, around 3.5 - 3.75" drop point hunter/skinner style blade, full flat grind, modern high-end steel, simple, rugged. In other words, I need a super good working knife. I am sure there are lot of people like me who would also appreciate such a knife.

The above description is basically the original, and now out-of-production, Acies. Surprisingly, there is nothing else like this obviously great knife. Accordingly, I have been searching high and low for a used original Acies. However, it has been about 1 year since anyone has offered a used Acies for sale on the internet, and I don't expect one to come up for sale anytime soon, and when it does there will be a virtual fist-fight for it. I've even gone so far as to contact forumers who have posted about their Acies to see if maybe they would like to sell. No luck, though. Indeed, every Acies-owner I have contacted has responded that their original Acies is their favorite folder and they would never sell it. A good reflection on the Acies, but not so good for someone like me looking to buy one.

(Not knocking the Acies2. It is a great knife, but the blade is too small for my use).

Considering the current popularity of the original Acies, and how there seems to still be a large un-met demand for more original Acies, perhaps Mr. Russell would consider doing another run of original Acies? I bet 1000 new Acies would sell out fast with no effort.

If Mr. Russell didn't want to simply repeat the original Acies, perhaps he could copy the design but use M390 for the blade steel? Now that would be an awesome working knife.

How about it Mr. Russell, any chance that you can be persuaded to do another run of original Acies knives?

russde
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-03-13 09:44.07 - Post#2568248    

In response to shinbone

Subscribing so that I can follow any developments...in other words, I'm interested too.

A. G. Russell
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-21-13 06:46.22 - Post#2570809    

In response to shinbone

• shinbone Said:
    This is an open letter to A.G. Russell Knives. Anyone else is free to chime in.

I need a good folder to carry in the field hunting and dog training. I would like a knife with intelligent design (no unnecessary gimmicky features), high quality fabrication, around 3.5 - 3.75" drop point hunter/skinner style blade, full flat grind, modern high-end steel, simple, rugged. In other words, I need a super good working knife. I am sure there are lot of people like me who would also appreciate such a knife.

The above description is basically the original, and now out-of-production, Acies. Surprisingly, there is nothing else like this obviously great knife. Accordingly, I have been searching high and low for a used original Acies. However, it has been about 1 year since anyone has offered a used Acies for sale on the internet, and I don't expect one to come up for sale anytime soon, and when it does there will be a virtual fist-fight for it. I've even gone so far as to contact forumers who have posted about their Acies to see if maybe they would like to sell. No luck, though. Indeed, every Acies-owner I have contacted has responded that their original Acies is their favorite folder and they would never sell it. A good reflection on the Acies, but not so good for someone like me looking to buy one.

(Not knocking the Acies2. It is a great knife, but the blade is too small for my use).

Considering the current popularity of the original Acies, and how there seems to still be a large un-met demand for more original Acies, perhaps Mr. Russell would consider doing another run of original Acies? I bet 1000 new Acies would sell out fast with no effort.

If Mr. Russell didn't want to simply repeat the original Acies, perhaps he could copy the design but use M390 for the blade steel? Now that would be an awesome working knife.

How about it Mr. Russell, any chance that you can be persuaded to do another run of original Acies knives?

I have no plans for redoing the Aceis in it's original size at this time That could be changed if you had more people wanting them. The originals are selling for nearly $600 when you can find some one who will turn loose of theirs.

I have a new knife called the Skorion that meets all of your standards except it is hollow ground.

I really like the knife, but will not remake it, I am in the process of re-engineering it, it will be wider and have a blade of 1 1/8" width. It will have a better blade than 8Cr, if we make some of them in this country they will have blades of s30V or better but cost 3 times those from China. This will be the Skorpion II

If you cannot stand a flipper then you will have to find a lot more support for me to make a run of the original Aceis with another blade steel.

shinbone
    10-22-13 06:15.52 - Post#2571013    

In response to A. G. Russell

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry to hear that there are no immediate plans for a second run of original Acies knives. I do understand that there has to be a certain minimum number of buyers for a second run to make sense. I was hoping more people would join in on this letter to demonstrate such interest, but, unfortunately, that has not been the case. This is surprising because, as you mentioned, used original Acies knives command a substantial premium over their retail price, which would suggest that there are many people out there who would jump at the chance to buy a second run original Acies. Perhaps such an interest will build in the near future, and those people will make their interest known by posting in this thread.

Until that time, I look forward to the release of the Skorion. I am sure it will be another great Russell knife.

Jestersinthemoon
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    11-19-13 08:11.56 - Post#2575774    

In response to shinbone

Hello Mr Russell,

I would like to chime in, as well.

I currently own ( 2 ) Acies I models. I don't have any Acies 2's because it is simply smaller of a blade than I ever carry.

I first saw the original Acies shortly before I got married. I didn't know how long it had been available, nor that it would be discontinued soon.
    I was going to get my wife to get it for me as a "wedding" gift, but figured that I would get it when we got back from the honeymoon. Well, lo and behold, when we got back, I head on over to the AG Russell website to buy it and WHAM.........its gone.

I have since purchased 3 of them through secondary sellers, and let me say, I would have much rather have paid retail price for them. Now, if you recall, I said that I had 2. The third went to a friend of mine. He's a little bit older than me.....been around the knife game much longer, and is an accomplished knifemaker himself. When he saw my Acies, he just fell in love with it. He was familiar with many A.G. Russell knives, but had never seen the Acies. He just sat there and played with it and played with it and admired it. I finally let him borrow it for a couple of days, and then when he returned home ( he lives about 8 hours away and travels most of the year ), I went ahead and let him keep it. I have since gotten another to replace it.

The fact of the matter is, there is not, in my opinion ( or his ) another comparable production folder in that price range that offers so much. The thick titanium handle slabs are perfectly shaped and aesthetically pleasing. The Hinderer stabilizer is great. One of the things that we both love about it is the precision workmanship. There aren't too many non-bearing pivot knives that you can pull out of the box and with the lightest of flicks, the blade flies open like an ice cube on a hot griddle. To top it all off, I am a huge fan of ZDP-189. I like the type of edge it takes and I like that it will hold an edge for a long time.

I can tell you, for a fact, that if the Acies was brought back to production, I would buy AT LEAST two, possibly three, of them......one more to keep, one to carry, and one to save for my son when he is old enough to appreciate it.

I would love for you to bring back the original and I know of at least a dozen guys in person, and many more in the internet who feel the same way.

It's really an incredible knife.

Thanks for your time.

W Holmes

Edit: saw some folks mentioning above the possibility of a different blade steel. Interesting idea. I'm very fond of the ZDP-189 in the original Acies, and would not want to see the hardness of the steel drop off too much. I like M390, as well, but would also be happy to see CPM-M4, B75P, CTS-XHP, or CPM-S35VN.

Edited by Jestersinthemoon on 11-19-13 08:17.04. Reason for edit: No reason given.

thinkman
    Member KnifeNut!
    11-28-13 17:09.44 - Post#2577241    

In response to Jestersinthemoon

The original Acies and the Acies2 are my favorite A.G. Russell knives.

No offense intended, but I can't imagine the current Skorpion being a replacement for the Acies.

A.G., thank you for telling us about the Skorpion II. I look forward to it and any upscale versions that you design.

thinkman
    Member KnifeNut!
    01-22-14 09:48.08 - Post#2586225    

In response to thinkman

A.G., any update on the Skorpion II?

A. G. Russell
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-01-14 06:01.54 - Post#2607153    

In response to thinkman

I am planning an American made Aceis in the Original size. It will NOT have ZDP189, it will probably have S30V and the handles are going to be Featherliteā„¢ Stainless and the knife will weigh less than the original.

If my American source fails me I will make it in Taiwan. I really want to keep these made in USA if I can.

shinbone
    07-01-14 06:46.28 - Post#2607162    

In response to A. G. Russell

Great news! I can't wait for the new knives to hit the shelves. I will be one of the first to get my order in.

Thanks!

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 1.869 seconds.   Total Queries: 154   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 22:37.00