thumb_1411889958-Summers_131026_-_Copy__617x800_.jpg
thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
thumb_1411471998-MapleBurlHunter.jpg
thumb_1411354680-buck110meteorite.jpg
thumb_1411343012-DSC_0283__640x209_.jpg
thumb_1411061614-1.JPG
thumb_1410635072-MVP_61bsmallerfilesize.jpg
Current Quote
"The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do.
"
~ -John Holt
234 Online Now
23 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 211 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 5 1234>
    Username Post: Ceramic Rod Block        (Topic#930211)
    ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-02-13 13:24.00 - Post#2535854    

The Ceramic Rod Block, or CRB, by Reich Precision

Maybe this will help find it.
    Trust me, for I like big butts and I cannot lie.

jendeindustries
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-02-13 13:41.34 - Post#2535857    

In response to ytreich

Awesome idea, Mark!!!

It lets you match the angle from the Edge pro, wicked edge or KME for touching up between sharpening sessions, and for freehand sharpening, it allows you to keep your angles low, or even to do some more precision tuning up...
    Tom Blodgett

Edge Pro stones
    KME Stones
    WEPS Stones

My Blog!

RIBA
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-02-13 21:07.21 - Post#2535901    

In response to jendeindustries

Very handy indeed, great idea!

locutus
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-03-13 05:14.14 - Post#2535950    

In response to RIBA

It's wonderful. What else can I say??
    DARK LORD OF THE SWARF

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-03-13 08:47.33 - Post#2535997    

In response to locutus

Thanks guys! Sure do appreciate the kind words.

I just started a topic about it because I searched my arse off, and came up with nothing.

When I got my first EP, I could see right away that it would be difficult at best to touch up at an exact angle- whatever angle the EP yielded.

The CRB is versatile too. It's the best way I know of to measure the edge angle of a convex edge.

It's great for determining angles of factory edges. You can tell exactly how much they vary.

It's the fastest and easiest way to deburr and microbevel softer blades, and it still works on the hardest steels, which brings up a good point.

No one can buy something like Locutus's testimony. We've all known him to be an honest perfectionist and a dedicated steel junkie for many years now.

I am truly humbled by his words.

Thank you Ron.

rlucius
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-03-13 11:12.01 - Post#2536025    

In response to ytreich

Mark, let me say thank your for designing and producing the "ceramic rod block".

Have been using my CRB for two years.

The ceramic sharpener was invented by Louis Graves. He really knew what he was doing. The 90+% Alumina Ceramic rods will indicate the sharpened angle. Just keep the knife straight up and down and as if scraping a decal off of the surface of the rod, draw the knife down, one side of the "V" and then the other. This will quickly give you your angles.

I use your device almost daily and think there is no better way for most sharpeners to determine their edge angles.

A sharpener can buy all the angle gadgets in the world, including some very expensive devices, and they will not add up to the value of your great device. My hardwood base measures about 10-1/4" long X 3-1/2 wide - the rod holes are spaced so precise and accurate for each individual degree from 10 degrees through 30 degrees.

Please consider doing another "run".

Have four fellow sharpeners: New Mexico, Louisiana and Texas who will place their money up front, please consider and "say yes".

Your device and design is "spot on".

I, feel blessed to have the one you sold me.

Rupert
    Here in Louisiana

rlucius
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-03-13 11:27.52 - Post#2536029    

In response to ytreich

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/41...

DullBlade
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-03-13 14:19.05 - Post#2536081    

In response to ytreich

If it was possible, I would love to be able to purchase one. I also would be interested in a less complex model from 10 degrees to say 18 degrees. I remember that you described this in a thread a while back. It looks even better than what I visualized.

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-03-13 17:24.56 - Post#2536110    

In response to DullBlade

WOW!! I didn't have any idea you use it regularly too Rupert!

Thank you ever so much for the kind words, my friend!

I know you are very active, in that you have a lot of things going at once, and it's no big deal, but you know a few more guys who want one? Have they seen or used yours?

Wow. I know I said something like this recently, but it is very much my honor that You find this trinket of use. When someone with your experience, and all the equipment you have, finds value in my work... well, that's why I do it. I like to help.

Ken, and whoever else has one of these things but doesn't find it suits your taste, it's no big deal at all. I was just teasing, but Ken, if there was ever a great save...

I had a provisional patent, so I could show it to serious guys, but in the end, it wouldn't be practical to try to enforce the patent.

So anyone is free to make them. Ill tell you how to do it. All you need is a mill or a big ass drill press and a machinists' rotary table.

If I were in "production mode", I could produce 60 in 4 days, with three layers of he best finish there is, or no finish, to make it easier to write on it with pencil.

It's not bad money, but it is nerve wracking and boring. Let your concentration slip for a second, and it's almost like you didn't arrive at work that day. It's easy to make a mistake with that many holes.

I'd like to hear of someone making one as accurately as I try to produce mine. I really don't have time to make another run right now. I'm hip deep in blades.

But, if duty calls...

rlucius
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-04-13 03:18.51 - Post#2536159    

In response to ytreich

Mark

Two of the four people that I mention in the earlier post have used my CRB.

May be it has something to do with age and wisdom - one is 62 years in age the other is 36 years.

The 62 year was so impressed with the workmanship. He is a professional rifle shooter and travels the circuit. The 36 year old, is stationed off Brazil - US Coast Guard licensed engineer.

The other two are 67 and 62 years in age - want one because they realize the merits of having one.

Again, I know I am blessed to have my CRB.

Have a great day.

Page 1 of 5 1234>
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.385 seconds.   Total Queries: 168   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 02:05.22