KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Kershaw Leek        (Topic#929172)
Valiant65
01-20-13 18:23.30 - Post#2526115    

This is only my second post on the forum so I'll start by saying hi to everyone! I received my first Kershaw for Christmas (the Leek) and I absolutely love it! I'm also looking into getting more knives and I like the assisted opening a lot on the Leek so I was wondering if there are any other similar knives with a similar system to the Leek and what is everyone's opinion on the Leek? Also I picked up another Leek from someone for 20 bucks It's the Rainbow Leek and I was wondering if I might have overpaid? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Big Mike
Master Member KnifeNut!
01-22-13 12:14.44 - Post#2526526    

In response to Valiant65

I'm moving this from the Passing Lane to the General Knife Discussion.

Big Mike

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Semper Vigilis

WillClinger
Journeyman KnifeNut!
01-22-13 15:53.26 - Post#2526556    

In response to Valiant65

Welcome. You have two knives you like, and it sounds like you found a good deal on the Rainbow Leek.

It's an attractive knife, and I've heard good things about it. I can't comment further because I've never used one (or anything similar).

antonio_luiz
Master Member KnifeNut!
01-22-13 17:32.08 - Post#2526569    

In response to WillClinger

The Leek is great value for money, but for EDC I prefer the CRKT Eros. I find no advantage of assisted opening over the Eros's IKBS, and the Eros is much easier to close.
I'm paranoid only cause everyone's out to get me!

Steel Obsession
Journeyman KnifeNut!
01-23-13 06:11.43 - Post#2526648    

In response to Valiant65

$20 is a great price if the knife is in decent condition. I have carried the leek and I really liked it. Just don't try to pry anything with it I know a couple guys who have broken their tips. Knives shouldn't be used as prying tools anyway but the Leek has a very fine thin Wharncliffe tip.

As far as other good assisted knives, CRKT, Buck, SOG, and Benchmade have some good ones. Be prepared to spend more then the $20 you stole the Leek for.

Valiant65
01-24-13 10:48.45 - Post#2526872    

In response to Steel Obsession

Yeah I've heard they have weak tips but as you said knives aren't prying tools. Anyone know what size the torx screws are I'd like to clean the one I just got it looks like the guy I got it from might have cut some food with it...

Dkb45
Master Member KnifeNut!
01-26-13 23:37.17 - Post#2527541    

In response to Valiant65

T6 for body and clip. I believe T9 for the pivot, but the pivot (on mine at least) is not secured so it spins freely... so no taking it apart for cleaning, and the bloody thing has grit in it.

Great deal on the rainbow, too. Those things are kind of hard to find, especially for under $30-40 minimum. I think the last one I saw was like $50.

stigosaurus
Journeyman KnifeNut!
03-02-13 15:44.19 - Post#2535873    

In response to Dkb45

T-6 for the body and t-8 or t-9 for the pivot. It varies sometimes.

Daniel Nighteyes
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-07-13 06:16.45 - Post#2536800    

In response to stigosaurus

Generally, I like the Leek for EDC. In my experience, the problem is that the safety catch is quite delicate.

After nearly a year's-worth of use I dropped my first Leek onto a hard floor, breaking the safety. I purchased another and again, after about a year's-worth of use, also managed to drop it onto a similar floor with the same exact outcome.

The knives come with a lifetime warranty, and I've packed both knives into a box for return. Just haven't mailed it yet.

My point, though, is the inherent weakness I have observed in a critical feature.

-- Nighteyes

nagod
03-09-13 11:08.11 - Post#2537285    

In response to Daniel Nighteyes

shoot them an email,they will mail you the parts no charge (unless things have changed recently).

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.13 seconds.   Total Queries: 189   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 06:14.35