thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
thumb_1403803806-1.JPG
thumb_1403370287-172-Box-Elder-Hunter-a.jpg
thumb_1403211911-1.JPG
Current Quote
"An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before. An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before.
Mark Twain
US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)
"
~ Mark Twain
289 Online Now
18 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 271 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: soap water on your stones!        (Topic#929164)
    steelierchain9
    01-20-13 12:39.12 - Post#2526047    

Hey folks Im new to the forum here (my first post) and I want to discuss stone lubrication specifically soap water. I know many people wash their stones in it to clean them. To me it was a natural step to use it in place of a dry stone, oil, or plain water, and it works fantastically. Any and all opinions are encouraged. I want to know what works for other people and why. Also who all has sharpenned or is interested in sharpenning with soap water. I currently use it with sucess on a Norton course oilstone (220), and an Arkansas soft. PS When using bar soap thuroughly cloud the water with it or it won't have the full effect.

Edited by steelierchain9 on 01-20-13 12:40.27. Reason for edit: No reason given.

brianWE
    01-20-13 12:49.09 - Post#2526049    

In response to steelierchain9

Welcome to KF!!!

An interesting post.
    In fact, when I used oilstones, I experimented with straight dish detergent.
    Seemed to work fine. Easy clean-up, too.
    Brian W Edginton
    I am an old bloke. Sometimes I forget things that happened. Sometimes, I remember things that didn't.
    When I post, you are getting the best I have on the day. Be kind.

ken123
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-20-13 15:45.37 - Post#2526095    

In response to brianWE

I mostly use waterstones and don't use anything but clean water.

Some folks use detergent with diamond lapping plates with success.

I just find it an extra effort to deal with soapy solutions. If I get grit impaction, eother lapping the stone or with diamond plates a quick scrub with a nylon nail brush and I'm good to go again.

With more porous natural stones I wouldn't try it as you would get the liquid seepiong down into the stone and it wouldn't wash out and might break down the stone.

I just use water on Ark, stones (not even oil) but wouldn't consider myself too expert with Ark stones as I don't use them often.

---
    Ken
    Facebook
    Nubatama Stones, Diamond/CBN Sprays
    Natural Stones
    Atomas

Ken's Corner

pcm81
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-20-13 16:21.08 - Post#2526102    

In response to ken123

A little bit of soap in your water will help your higher grit, 6k+, water stones work better, because soap breaks the surface tension of water. Oil works better on oil stones, but don't put too much oil on oil stones, you don't want so much oil that blade "swims" in it rather than touches the stones surface.

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-21-13 04:16.24 - Post#2526173    

In response to pcm81

Simple Green works better than oil on oil stones from everyone that I've heard try it.

I use soapy water whenever I use water, every day, on all my DMTs, water or oil stones. Even with my water cooled 2x72, a little soap makes a significant difference.
    Trust me, for I like big butts and I cannot lie.

ken123
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-21-13 04:57.00 - Post#2526183    

In response to ytreich

Might just have to revisit this soapy water issue. Any brand of soap preferences? Dishwashing liquid or something else?

---
    Ken
    Facebook
    Nubatama Stones, Diamond/CBN Sprays
    Natural Stones
    Atomas

Ken's Corner

Navy Man
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-21-13 05:20.24 - Post#2526192    

In response to ken123

I've been using a little soap in water for a year or so now. I just use dish detergent and put a few drops in the water bottle.

It is especially good for polishing, just last night I was working on a Buck hunting knife for a nice old gentleman. I finished with a 15k Shapton and applied a couple drops of soap directly on the stone with a few drops of water to get it nice and soapy, I rubbed it all over the surface of the stone and then went to work, I found it definitely enhanced the finish.

(it smells nice too, like lotus blossoms or something, like I imagine it in sharpening heaven)

Pete

Edited by Navy Man on 01-21-13 05:23.45. Reason for edit: No reason given.

steelierchain9
    01-21-13 05:26.00 - Post#2526196    

In response to Navy Man

I actually prefer standard hand bar soap(it's mild on the stone and my hands) but i have not used a soap yet that won't work. so no particular brand i guess. Obviously you are right there Ken123 if a stone wears fast enough it is classified as a water stone there is no need to add the soap. I don't have experience with water stones other than cheap ones as i prefer a harder surface.

locutus
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-21-13 15:36.29 - Post#2526320    

In response to steelierchain9

I use about 3-4 drops of dish detergent in a 4 oz bottle of water on my waterstones. It seems to work quite well.

I rinse the stones with copious amounts of clear warm water wehen I'm finished for the day.

Probably not necessary, but it gives me the warm fuzzies!
    DARK LORD OF THE SWARF

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-21-13 16:11.31 - Post#2526333    

In response to locutus

I use Dawn and Simple Green.

When a little soap will do, it's just a couple drops of Dawn in a quart spray bottle. I use this on water stones and DMTs. A couple drops per gallon for the 2x72. It's amazing how much better belts work with a little soapy water.

On oil stones, Simple Green works better. It's pretty darn soapy, and it works that way. It works for DMTs too, but it's way more expensive, and it's almost too slippery.

• Quote:
    (it smells nice too, like lotus blossoms or something, like I imagine it in sharpening heaven)

Pete

Knives don't get dull in heaven, Pete, unless you order them that way.

What the heck kind of soap is that anyway? Lol!
    Trust me, for I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Edited by ytreich on 01-21-13 16:16.08. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.387 seconds.   Total Queries: 169   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 16:44.23