KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1492726062-20170420_094015.jpg
thumb_1491582663-thumb_23.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
 Page 18 of 18 « First<15161718
Username Post: not believing        (Topic#928756)
6th_sense
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-17-16 05:32.19 - Post#2626749    

In response to brianWE

Hi Brian,

Introducing children to anything can be labelled "abuse" in a manner of speaking.

People usually only introduce their children to something they themselves believe in.

The purposes of such beliefs are a question to be answered by the parents and the child as he/she grows independent.

In your case Brian, the belief of religion is pretty taboo - so you could potentially see the introduction of religion as barbaric. But it is the other way around for people who are convicted of the religion they introduce...

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-17-16 09:07.02 - Post#2626750    

In response to 6th_sense

Of course!
But some people do have some pretty destructive beliefs....solid convictions.
I don't believe in "parents' rights".
Just responsibilities.

brianWE
Opinions? I have many. Some I don't, even, know about until I read my posts.

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-19-16 14:57.15 - Post#2626777    

In response to brianWE

I guess that what I am saying is, that if, I have a firm belief in, for instance, Satanism, is it my right/responsibility to bring my children up with that belief?

Or, maybe, it is, only, Christians who have that right/responsibility?
brianWE

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-21-16 11:09.15 - Post#2626783    

In response to brianWE

I guess that was bad comparison...it was meant to be extreme so as to illustrate a point.
It wasn't meant to offend reasonable people.

But, really, do people with highly divergent beliefs have the same right to raise impressionable children with "unpopular" beliefs????
Beliefs that will set them apart from the rest of their communities before they can make rational choices?
brianWE

6th_sense
Master Member KnifeNut!
09-27-16 06:04.24 - Post#2627117    

In response to brianWE

Hi Brian,

Hadn't been on the site for a while now...

I personally believe that people are allowed to do what they want to - Christian or not.

As far as parents with divergent views having equal rights to raise their children the way they wish - I won't argue with that.

Is it a Christian's responsibility to raise his/her child to believe in the bible?

I guess I am of a slightly different stripe than most Christians - including my wife - but I personally believe in the use of reasoning - my interest in bible arises from my reasoning. I feel it is necessary to help my children understand me - but, whether they find solace in it or not - I won't force them to.

If people raise children with "unpopular" beliefs - it is their "choice" as far as I am concerned. If it infringes on my freedom, then I will certainly see to defending myself and my children.

Communities often decide what they will tolerate and what they won't. There is a certain degree to which they will defend their rights to not be bothered by other "beliefs". Take Saudi Arabia. If I lived there, I would see my way to complying to their laws and the tastes of the local populace who are my neighbours as much as I could - even though I may, in my heart hold a different set of views.

I normally, personally go out of my way to help my neighbours with small things, if I can, so I will have friends to come to my aid, if my beliefs or something I did should be cause for concern politically - though I try not to make an obvious stand out of the crowd with anything I do -if I feel it would invite trouble.

As far as parent's rights are concerned - that is a very touchy issue. Children raised by different parents behave differently in general, even if they are all Christian parents - the children have their "differences". But, if it is completely divergent beliefs the "differences" can be stronger or even inexistent sometimes.

As an example, some aetheists raise their children with the same "values" as Christian parents do, even though they don't necessarily teach of God/scripture... I find that I like those people better than some "Christians".

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
09-27-16 15:18.57 - Post#2627124    

In response to 6th_sense

I guess what I am saying is that a lifetime thing like a religion should be an "opt in" thing.
And most children don't have the experience or skills to sign up for a lifetime belief.

Opting out is a huge decision...especially when it might create a major rift between you and your family and community.
Look at the major fundamentalist societies.
It can be fatal.

brianWE

6th_sense
Master Member KnifeNut!
11-09-16 10:23.24 - Post#2627596    

In response to brianWE

Hi Brian,

I like your thoughts on choices....

I pretty much believe that Christian parents advise their children about the best things to "do", just as much as aetheist parents or any others.

While religion might be an "opt in" thing for aetheist parents, though - it isn't necessarily such for Christian parents.

But, in the same spirit, there may be a lot of moral values that aetheist parents teach their children that are not "opt in".

It is in a similar vein that Christians stick to their religion. At least this is IMHO.

It is quite like you say: Children don't have enough reasoning to sign up for a lifetime of experience in anything - and certainly - I don't personally believe that when parents raise their children, that they are hoping that their next door neighbour be the ones to teach their children what "values" the children should hold on to - morally etc...

I do agree, that there are a lot of problems arising from religious beliefs - but, I believe that the same number of problems can be attributed to not believing in religion - in fact possibly more so.

Adhering to a set of "values" that are taught and have a good majority of people who practice that set of values that are quite "safe", is something that I value a lot. It isn't religion that I have a problem with - the diversity of society and the diversity of moral beliefs and cultural behaviour can cause a lot of error in human judgement regardless of religion - especially if people get mentally sick or disconnected, as it were with greater society - and it isn't that I believe that there aren't genuine causes for concern with greater societal behaviour in some instances.

Just the other day, I was listening to the radio - and the announcer was speaking of rock musicians and how there just weren't enough people with the interest in creating music that broke the peace with parents and rules and the system etc.... It's not a religious issue this guy is talking about.

The idea *could be* that the music was simply supposed to be created to "irritate people".

One of my friends suggested that a group of us just jam together noisily and one fine day, realizing that the noise wasn't great, we would in fact work on a better thing together - like some of the rock bands once did and eventually made history. This is fine with me.

I don't mind working on things that help society along, but trying to rip the fabric of society with bad behaviour - hmmmmm..... maybe that is what people feel we are short of here?? I certainly don't feel that.

Page 18 of 18 « First<15161718
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.123 seconds.   Total Queries: 144   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 02:55.22