Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1410635072-MVP_61bsmallerfilesize.jpg
thumb_1409428191-DSC_0019kf.jpg
thumb_1409241408-8.JPG
thumb_1408752966-Buck110-arrowheads.jpg
thumb_1408752721-1280x-buck110-steampunk2.jpg
Current Quote
"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered."
~ Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
245 Online Now
24 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 221 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Liten Bror        (Topic#926911)
    Rooster Beak
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-21-12 07:03.16 - Post#2504458    

A few weeks ago, I bought this Liten Bror:

Not one like it, but that EXACT one pictured. It's a 3V steel version, with Amboynia Burl grips.

When it arrived, I wasn't quite sure what to think. The scales weren't as bright and vibrant as the photo, but they do have an appearance that is quite pleasing... I guess I was hoping for a more "glowing" yellow-orangish appearance, in person the knife is a little more light brownish than the photo would seem to indicate. In any case, that's no big deal, I'm still very happy with the scales on the knife, it's very attractive!

At first, I was a little dissappointed at how small the knife seemed. I already had an Aurora, and knew that the Liten Bror was the "little brother" (literally) to the Aurora... but I was expecting it to be a little larger. This dissappointment went away almost immediately, though, after giving the knife some use. Let me tell you, this is a BIG little knife. Built like a tank, it's thick, dense, and one HELL of a cutter. Razor sharp out of the box, it pretty much demolishes anything food-like in the kitchen, cardboard boxes, wood, plastic packaging, and copper wire. I cannot tell you how satisfied I am with the performance of this knife so far, it's still as sharp as the day I unboxed it, and I've been trying to find new things to cut with it ever since then!

I was unsure what role this knife would take on when I bought it, I must confess that the Amboynia scales and my endless love for my Aurora were the main reasons I placed the order. However, after using it a few weeks, I've figured it out! Whenever I don't want to take the time and energy to belt on my Aurora (and even sometimes when I do!), I'll just slip the Liten Bror, sheath and all, into my left front jeans pocket. It is compact enough, even with sheath, to barely stick its end out of the left corner of my pocket, and it's comfortable to carry all day long this way, even when sitting or running. In fact, the Liten Bror is the PERFECT size for a pocketable fixed blade, any larger and it wouldn't work, any smaller and you might as well carry a folder instead. While I still carry a folder (modified Benchmade 915) anyway, there's just nothing like a SOLID fixed-blade like the Liten Bror when you need it!

In short, I completely adore this knife... it's far more useful and perfect than I ever anticipated it might be. It has become my "mini-aurora" for all the situations where a full sized belt-worn fixed blade might be inconvenient or inappropriate. I see the 2 knives (Aurora and Liten Bror) as perfectly complimenting each other, not as trying to fill the same role. I would happily go into the woods with either one, knowing that either would get me out alive when combined with the knowledge in my head... although I would of course prefer the slightly larger Aurora if given a choice beforehand.

Liten Bror is a winner, in my book... a huge knife in a small package that deserves more praise than it probably gets!

daveydoo
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-21-12 07:24.28 - Post#2504464    

In response to Rooster Beak

great review! Woods are great but sometimes i think the photo does not really match what you see in real life. For me Ironwood Burl looks so much better in person. I have to agree those small knives are sure tough and able to handle bigger jobs. My all time favorite is mikro canadian. 12c27 was a great steel thanks to Mike heat treatment. It was the first stainless steel I liked.
    Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    Thomas Jefferson

M#1128

Rooster Beak
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-21-12 07:28.29 - Post#2504465    

In response to daveydoo

I agree completely about Ironwood! My next Bark River (if I can find it) will be either an Aurora or Northstar with Ironwood Burl scales. So far, no luck finding such a mythical creature!

Smithhammer
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-21-12 11:27.26 - Post#2504529    

• Rooster Beak Said:

At first, I was a little dissappointed at how small the knife seemed. I already had an Aurora, and knew that the Liten Bror was the "little brother" (literally) to the Aurora... but I was expecting it to be a little larger. This dissappointment went away almost immediately, though, after giving the knife some use. Let me tell you, this is a BIG little knife. Built like a tank, it's thick, dense, and one HELL of a cutter.

My first BRKT was a Woodland Special, and my reaction when I first opened it was similar. Like you discovered, that reaction went away very quickly when I started using it. That WS is still one of my favorites to date.

Of course, the same thing happened when I bought a Mini-Canadian. And then again with a Mini-Fox River. And then again with...

Mouthful of Feathers

Double Ott
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-21-12 14:37.15 - Post#2504570    

• Rooster Beak Said:
    I agree completely about Ironwood! My next Bark River (if I can find it) will be either an Aurora or Northstar with Ironwood Burl scales. So far, no luck finding such a mythical creature!

Their out there...Here are a few of mine. I need to take a new updated family picture.

Click it !

Tom

Attachment

Tom...aka; Double Ott
    BRKCA Mike #12
    Founding Member

Good judgement comes from your experience...Most experience comes from your Poor judgement!

OKBohn
    10-21-12 16:06.36 - Post#2504585    

In response to Double Ott

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. It is a really great knife!
    Derrick
    KnivesShipFree

Rooster Beak
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-22-12 10:12.28 - Post#2504691    

In response to OKBohn

• OKBohn Said:
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up. It is a really great knife!

Thank YOU for selling it to me!

Rooster Beak
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-24-12 16:51.20 - Post#2505174    

More thoughts.

I've put a paracord lanyard on my Liten Bror at this point, made it just long enough to "catch" underneath the firesteel loop on the sheath, so the firesteel can be used as a "retainer" for the knife if I need to jump off a cliff into a river or something stupid like that. I've done the same thing with my Aurora, and find that it works extremely well for rugged-use knife retention. And most of you probably thought that firesteel was just there to throw sparks!

I'm loving this knife more and more, the more I use it. It has become my favorite kitchen knife for small tasks, things like Garlic, Celery, Carrots, Etc. It is also my favorite steak knife at this point too!

The Amboynia Burl scales have REALLY grown on me... they do have a really nice "glow" in bright sunlight, and indoors they just plain look classy. Thumbs up on this wood choice, I was dubious at first but now I love it.

It's good... ALL good!

kyhunt
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-25-12 00:13.22 - Post#2505201    

• Rooster Beak Said:

This ones not burl but it is ironwood. the only one here burl is the b1.

Eric
    Mike # 357

brucesears
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-25-12 07:24.25 - Post#2505281    

In response to kyhunt

Nice trio there, Eric.
    Bruce
    BRKCA Mike #338
    Founding Member

"...patience is for the Dead"

insector
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-25-12 16:36.52 - Post#2505403    

In response to brucesears

any liten bror is a great knife.........the diversity that lies therein can be a world in itself.................

and it is never what you expect before you get it in hand...........and it will continue to "evolve" for you as you continue to use it....

there are many blades here that act larger and heavier than they are........a most beautiful and not so obvious characteristic of the general barkster population............

but that LB.........you done great on that one
    Insects as a science cast a great shadow on those humbled by this eternal generation of curiosity. So vast that no single mind could ever truly begin to fathom it.......

Dale

Rooster Beak
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    11-03-12 11:59.12 - Post#2507130    

In response to insector

The more I use it, the more I like it.
    In fact, I like it so much that I took my "winnings" from Derrick's contest and bought another Liten Bror - in Desert Ironwood Burl!
    Looking forward to photographing and reviewing it!

OKBohn
    11-03-12 12:52.42 - Post#2507139    

Glad you won and glad you bought such a great knife!
    Derrick
    KnivesShipFree

insector
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-03-12 13:36.29 - Post#2507147    

In response to OKBohn

You just can't go wrong with an LB........

I got 2 myself and I'm not one to dupe knives much..............
    Insects as a science cast a great shadow on those humbled by this eternal generation of curiosity. So vast that no single mind could ever truly begin to fathom it.......

Dale

rkay
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    11-04-12 00:46.53 - Post#2507199    

I understand completely what the OP is saying about being disappointed with a knife compared to the photograph in the gallery done by Crystal. The real problem is, there's not enough light on the knife in real life as compared to when we make a good photograph. Adding extra light to the photograph tends to some extent to make polished wood glow as if from within. Add a little too much, of course, and you end up overexposing the whole photo, but there's this space before that happens when the whole image is enhanced.

I've had that same disappointment with a purchased BRKT knife, but then I think of my days as a professional photographer and how my goal was always to make the image as memorable as possible ... and good photography will do just that. In the end, these knives are works of art and craft as well as extraordinarily useful and beautiful tools, and I love them for what they are ... even when they look a little duller than I'd like.

No complaints here, just admiration for Mike Stewart and the wizards at Bark River.

-- Russell

Rooster Beak
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    11-04-12 10:02.10 - Post#2507301    

OK,
    I wanted to post a photo of the one I just bought with my contest winnings, but was redirected to "product not available" when I went back to Derrick's site to download the photo.

However, after about 1/2 hour of web searches, I finally found a photo that someone had taken of my EXACT SAME knife! I know it's the same one, because I spent at least an hour obsessing over it before winning the contest, and I have the pattern pretty much memorized. So, without further ado... here is the Liten Bror that's currently on the way to me!

I can't wait for it to get to my hands... should be awesome!

FoxholeAtheist
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-04-12 10:19.32 - Post#2507307    

Rooster, I've had the exact same experience... now I download the photo BEFORE I finalize the transaction.

brucesears
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-04-12 10:28.53 - Post#2507309    

In response to FoxholeAtheist

You can usually find your exact knife in the BRKCA gallery. Sometimes before it even gets to the dealer.
    Bruce
    BRKCA Mike #338
    Founding Member

"...patience is for the Dead"

rjk13
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-04-12 11:15.55 - Post#2507320    

In response to brucesears

My first Liten Bror I think I made a good choice. Curly Birch
    Randy
    BRKCA 720
    Founding Member

"I would rather be in my present situation than be elected to a seat in congress for life."
    Davey Crockett 1/9/1836

Rooster Beak
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    11-04-12 11:22.17 - Post#2507322    

In response to rjk13

Holy hell that's beautiful!

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.33 seconds.   Total Queries: 303   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 05:11.29