KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1490310452-IMG_20170323_125412.jpg
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
 Page 1 of 3 All123
Username Post: Richard Batson knives        (Topic#925078)
MesserMeister
08-09-12 09:10.02 - Post#2489802    

Can you help me out with a recent acquisition? I was talking to a friend of mine who was in the Army during the Vietnam war. We were talking about knives and I asked him about Randall knives. I wondered how pervasive they were in the field. He told me that he was not familiar with Randall knives when he was in Vietnam and that his group all carried Batson knives (special group???). I wasn't familiar with Batson knives, but I was able to locate a picture of one. I showed it to my friend and he agreed that it was indeed a Batson knife. I really liked the design. One lucky day, I acquired one. One side of the blade has a beautifully etched name of the owner. Can you tell me anymore about Richard Batson knives? I would like to know what kind of steel he used and if possible some idea as to the value of the knife. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I can attach pictures if that would help.

Thanks...

Big Mike
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-09-12 23:42.34 - Post#2489951    

In response to MesserMeister

MesserMeister, welcome to the Forums.

Please post what photos you have.

The clearer and more detailed the better.

I am moving this into the MIL Knives Forum, where you are likely to get some feedback form the experts there.

I will leave a link here (Levine Forum).

Big Mike

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Semper Vigilis

MesserMeister
08-10-12 02:57.37 - Post#2489992    

Here is a picture of the Richard Batson knife I recently acquired.

Attachment

Big Mike
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-10-12 03:28.18 - Post#2490004    

I merged the Photo into the original thread.

That's a good looking knife.

Big Mike

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Semper Vigilis

sac troop
Journeyman KnifeNut!
08-10-12 03:37.45 - Post#2490007    

MesserMeister welcome aboard. That Richard Batson is one very impressive looking knife. I'll be watching this thread as I don't know anything about this maker.
It would very likely be a personal purchase knife. If these had been available to Vietnam era G.I.'s thru the PX system I believe they would already be documented. The Randall knives that found their way to Vietnam would also be personal purchase knives in the majority of cases.
Have you run across any information about this maker at all at this point?

MesserMeister
08-10-12 05:17.12 - Post#2490033    

In response to sac troop

I have found very little information about Richard Batson. That seems to be a common theme. My friend that first told me about his knives was an Army Ranger in Vietnam. Some threads of information that I have found inidcate that Batson produced knives for the Rangers during Vietnam. Here are a couple of forum threads I have found including some from this forum:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/s...
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/s...

I will keep looking for more information and hope that others will be able to chime in. Thanks...

sac troop
Journeyman KnifeNut!
08-10-12 05:39.51 - Post#2490041    

Thanks for the links. Very interesting. I know you were hoping for more information from us. I'll continue to watch this as I said before.

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-10-12 10:40.04 - Post#2490123    

In response to sac troop

Levine lists him as a custom maker.
Mentions his knives were mainly combat items for serving troops.
Apparently, he worked on knives on a part-time basis while a serving member. !958-1970.

He seems to have made knives in various locations for a few years after that and retired in 1996.

I have seen pics of a few of his knives...all great.
brianWE
The biggest obstacle in the search for Truth is the belief that you have it, already

sac troop
Journeyman KnifeNut!
08-14-12 14:34.58 - Post#2491204    

In response to brianWE

The more I look the more Mr. Batson is turning into a "riddle wrapped in an enigma". I really believe there is a story worth knowing some place.

brianWE
Master Member KnifeNut!
08-14-12 14:45.30 - Post#2491207    

In response to sac troop

• Quote:
The more I look the more Mr. Batson is turning into a "riddle wrapped in an enigma". I really believe there is a story worth knowing some place.

What is it that confuses you?
I know the information is a bit light...but, are you finding some of it contradictory?

brianWE
The biggest obstacle in the search for Truth is the belief that you have it, already

Page 1 of 3 All123
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.083 seconds.   Total Queries: 184   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 19:16.21