thumb_1414357834-101120105588.jpg
thumb_1413801278-100_7971.jpg_big.jpg
thumb_1413312384-Bocote1BF.jpg
thumb_1412800724-1.JPG
thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
Current Quote
"The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do.
"
~ -John Holt
144 Online Now
7 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 137 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: Stripping powder coat question        (Topic#923605)
    poeschel
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    06-16-12 13:51.19 - Post#2477820    

Hey guys, I decided to strip my swamp rat chopweiler powder coat and have a question. I believe the steel is called sr 101. After stripping it, the blade has a gray tint to it, I would compare it to the color of a2 or 01 after I soak it in vinegar. Is this a patina on the swamp rat, or something different? I like the finish, but want to know if it will protect the steel like the forced patinas I normally put on, or is a vinegar bath still needed? Thanks

Edited by poeschel on 06-16-12 13:52.24. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MikeStewart
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-16-12 13:57.35 - Post#2477821    

In response to poeschel

I believe it is just sandblasted as it comes from heat treat.

The Powder Coat was the Rust Prevention.
    BRKCA MIKE #01
    NJKCA #041

"I Am America"

Bark River Facebook Group - Join Today

RIP Chris + 1

knifetinkerer
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-16-12 15:00.07 - Post#2477825    

In response to poeschel

I'd buff it out with some Turtle Wax. Ever seen a rusty turtle? Me neither.

Dkb45
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-16-12 15:45.39 - Post#2477828    

In response to knifetinkerer

Turtles don't rust due to their high chromium content. Everybody knows that...

If you dislike the finish, I would suggest taking the knife so progressively finer sandpaper (ending around 2k or so), then finishing with a Semichrome polish.

Nasty
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-16-12 16:46.23 - Post#2477844    

In response to Dkb45

Sometimes, powder coat is used to conceal a number of possible issues.

I'd be afraid to look under *most*.

FWIW, not all steel takes a decent polish but since this special steel is really (according to what I have found) 52100, with the proper materials, it can shine like a mirror.

*Supposedly*, it is differentially heat treated, which means that if true, after polishing, you could etch it with nothing more than vinegar and *see* where it is hardened.

Mike knows a lot about this than I do...

"Life has a special flavor to those who fight for it that the sheltered never know."

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-17-12 01:54.35 - Post#2477894    

In response to Nasty

I hate to be the only one to think this way, but IMHO, Busse puts a great coating on their blades, and there's absolutely no reason to remove it. It is a textured finish that should eliminate sticktion for one thing. The coating is hard and slick.

Why would the coating bother you? You bought it like that. Why not just buy blades that aren't coated and save yourself the headache?

Obviously, you are free to do anything you want to your knife, but you need to understand why they put that coating on in the first place.

I know most guys here are not coated blade guys, which I don't understand. I don't believe the coating leads to more "drag", especially slick, textured coatings like Busse uses.

I'm not just spouting off because I like Busses. I only have 1 that is coated. I only have a couple other blades with coatings, and I can't understand why it bothers anyone.

You can buff those coatings as smooth and slick as you want. I mean that I have done this, and would highly recommend it. All coatings help keep your blade from tarnishing.

I believe that the black coatings on other Good blades contain non-stick material like Teflon, or something similar.

Seriously, try buffing the coating with white compound. In my experience, this leads to a very slick finish.

Please understand that I am not trying to be definitive or divisive. It's just that, IMHO, there isn't anything "wrong" with coated blades, and unless you can provide data to back your opinion that there is any significant difference in performance, you're guessing. Buff the finish and give it a shot of silicone, and you will have a low friction blade.

As far as looks go, do we care when we scratch the blade of a user? Again, my opinion, but an uncoated blade gets the exact same scratches. Since when do we care about an EDC that shows use?
    Trust me, for I like big butts and I cannot lie.

MikeStewart
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-17-12 02:07.56 - Post#2477896    

In response to ytreich

It does cause more drag and I have handed identical blades - with and without coatings to a number of people and every one of them noticed the difference.

Take a Coated machete and an Uncoated one with a nice satin finish and try it on Vines - Secondary Growth and Small Trees. chop some Downed Trees for firewood.

The uncoated one will give better and noticeable results.

Coated Blade Scuff much more than any satin blade and most satin blades just need to have the sap removed and they are good as new - Coated blades are Scuffed and Ugly after one use.

Glad to hear you had different Results but I'll stick with mine.
    BRKCA MIKE #01
    NJKCA #041

"I Am America"

RIP Chris + 1

Nasty
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-17-12 03:16.45 - Post#2477904    

In response to MikeStewart

I'm guessing that there is no data to back your opinion that any coating improves performance of any knife.

Reduce tarnish? Sure...as long as it lasts. Stainless takes damage and is *still* stainless.

Just say'in...

"Life has a special flavor to those who fight for it that the sheltered never know."

MikeStewart
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-17-12 03:46.10 - Post#2477910    

In response to Nasty

I did want to add that Jerry Bussee is a friend of mine and we don't allow anyone to bash him.

He and I differ on the coating thing and he is certainly entitled to his opinion as am I.
    BRKCA MIKE #01
    NJKCA #041

"I Am America"

RIP Chris + 1

knifetinkerer
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-17-12 04:13.53 - Post#2477914    

In response to MikeStewart

Either way, you should put Turtle Wax. I think we can all agree on that.

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.313 seconds.   Total Queries: 168   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 21:21.34