- Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
Recent Members
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
Current Quote
"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered."
~ Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
156 Online Now
4 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 152 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Vegetarian sujihiki        (Topic#922934)
    05-23-12 00:46.55 - Post#2472123    

I'd love to get a sujihiki but I don't eat meat or poultry, so I'm wondering how I could justify getting one. Anything a suji can do better than a gyuto other than slice protein? I do eat fish/seafood so I suppose there would be the occasional smoked salmon to slice.

Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-23-12 01:06.28 - Post#2472132    

In response to Adirondack

Slicing tofu perhaps?
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-23-12 01:14.38 - Post#2472134    

In response to Benuser

Two things a suji has that a gyuto doesn't....narrow blade and typically longer than a gyuto.

Narrow blade cuts better than a gyuto when the whole blade is sunk into the product....less friction. Melons are a good example.

Longer blade...well that should be obvious I reckon.

Marr Knives on FB

Member KnifeNut!
    05-23-12 02:14.26 - Post#2472153    

In response to Adirondack

I didn't know that something like "vegetarian sujihiki" existed , maybe it is something like a "manbearpig"! If you need a long slicer different than salmon-ham slicer or don't like the single beveled yanagiba then you buy a sujihiki , other than that i wouldn't be able to justify buying a sujihiki just for vegetables and occasionaly for slicng smoked salmon. If you only intend to use it for smoked salmon you are better of buying a stamped ,cheap, more flexible slicer knife.
    Altough i have a yanagiba and a dedicated slicer i have bought a sujihiki too , because i am using it as a fillet knife for large cuts of meats.But if you fancy one , just go for it , i am sure you can create uses for it even it is not a replacemnet for a Gyuto

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

490 Views - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2015 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.241 seconds.   Total Queries: 87   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 18:14.03