thumb_1406138951-1.JPG
thumb_1405723916-IMG_1451.jpg
thumb_1405631397-6.JPG
thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
Current Quote
""A volunteer is a person who can see what others cannot see; who can feel what most do not feel. Often, such gifted persons do not think of themselves as volunteers, but as citizens - citizens in the fullest sense: partners in civilization."
"
~ George Herbert Walker Bush
383 Online Now
19 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 364 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Knife Upgrade        (Topic#921103)
    amitabh
    03-22-12 02:15.56 - Post#2454298    

Hello All

I am looking for a better knife to do the following task. I currently use a $20 Cuisinart common kitchen knife (8in long) to do this task.

I buy chicken legs (thigh and drum attached) with skin on. I will remove the skin and fat from the whole leg and then cut the thigh and drum into two pieces, sometimes the thigh into a further two pieces (but not breaking the bone). Yes skin is good, but in our cuisine, we typically don't eat the skin.

What i dont like about my current knife is that its too long to be nimble, heavy, cuts sloppy and dulls extremely fast.

The knife that i would want would pretty much be used only for this and the occasional cubing of a boneless leg of lamb.

It is highly unlikely that I will be breaking down a whole chicken into parts. If and when i buy a whole chicken, its for the whole chicken.

I do own a Cuisinart slicer to cut fish (does the job for now).

I own a Hiromoto AS Gyuto (270mm) for everything else.

What are my options? I don't mind spending some dollars, but know that i simply enjoy cooking and am not getting paid to be perfect.

chefknivestogo
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-22-12 03:51.48 - Post#2454341    

In response to amitabh

Try a honesuki. That's pretty much what they're made for. They're cool looking too.
    Richmond Artifex!

JackSlimpson
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-22-12 04:09.50 - Post#2454352    

In response to chefknivestogo

• chefknivestogo Said:
    Try a honesuki. That's pretty much what they're made for. They're cool looking too.

I agree. I think someone around here calls his honesuki "Chicken Assassin" because it is so useful to the efficient dispatch of all things chicken. I love mine, and have found it useful for many other things. Example: I HATE HATE HATE cutting through florets of broccoli or cauliflower -- I cut them down from underneath by the stem. I've not found any better knife for this task than my Masamoto Honesuki. Anything that calls for a stabbing and circular cut is perfect for the honesuki. The blades are rigid so can deal with bones and tendons easily. Back to chicken: there's a video on youtube of Jacques Pepin deboning a whole chicken for ballotine. He uses a chef's knife and a parer. I've copied his technique using the honesuki where he uses the parer. It became obvious that I could skip the chef's knife, as the honesuki is up to the other tasks as well. I love it. I've use it to debone legs of lamb as well. It's nimble tough and aggressive.

Cheers,

Jack

amitabh
    03-22-12 06:09.01 - Post#2454380    

In response to JackSlimpson

Thank you for the input. My only concern is that the price of the honesuki in relation to my actual usage of skinning chicken legs is some what out of whack. ie. i spend a lot on a knife, but actual use is limited to skinning a chicken (maybe once a week).

is there a more economical solution?

I am left handed and left handed honesuki's are hard to come by.

chefknivestogo
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-22-12 07:14.19 - Post#2454393    

In response to amitabh

Ok, how about a good but cheap 150mm yo-petty?
    Richmond Artifex!

skewed
    03-22-12 11:28.35 - Post#2454449    

That Tojiro shirogami 120mm petty is very stout and very up to the task of braking down chicken. I bet the 150mm would be a little more apt, when it comes out.

Hint, hint- Mark!

When are you expecting the 150mm petty and 240 gyuto's to arrive?

knifeknerd
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-22-12 13:57.15 - Post#2454504    

• chefknivestogo Said:
    Ok, how about a good but cheap 150mm yo-petty?

I recently got a Kanehiro 150mm Wa-petty from CKTG. Really nice knife for an average price point. Great fit and finish(I still owe the site a review) could be awesome for your chicken needs. If you don't like the Wa handles, ask around-I'm sure someone else can steer you in the right direction. It's clad on the outside with a carbon edge, so some benefits on both ends of the steel spectrum. Even a full stainless 150mm petty could be the fit for you.

Steel Angel
    03-22-12 16:52.03 - Post#2454542    

Damn this forum is hard on the wallet . . . I had been shopping for a petty knife to use for deboning tasks and other work a gyuto would be unwieldy for and now I'm curious about honesuki. So what other tasks are the appropriate for besides deboning and how do they compare to a similarly sized petty?

knifeknerd
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-23-12 01:16.57 - Post#2454595    

In response to Steel Angel

Honesukis are awesome. I use mine in place of a western-style boning knife. I've cleaned literally thousands of beef tenderloins with mine. Tojiro makes a great low-price one if you are curious.

amitabh
    03-23-12 01:29.02 - Post#2454598    

I saw the Jacques Pepin videos. WOW, thats crazy.

More importantly, he basically used a petty knife, even though a honesuki like knife was present, for which he used it for two cuts. So it boils down to Petty vs. Honesuki.

Mmmm... I'd like to have a honesuki, but its pricey.

Given that i would need a Left-handed version, that narrows my list down even further. Could the honesuki be used as a petty?

-dg
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-24-12 16:11.50 - Post#2455124    

In response to knifeknerd

• knifeknerd Said:
    Honesukis are awesome. I use mine in place of a western-style boning knife. I've cleaned literally thousands of beef tenderloins with mine. Tojiro makes a great low-price one if you are curious.

+1 on the Honesuki. I have the Fujiwara FKM (cheaper and a bit better handle than the Tojiro) and I use it for chicken and everything I'd be afraid of damaging a knife on or that I want a beater for. Cutting pizza, cutting wood chips from a fruitwood stick for smoking, spatchcocking a turkey, heading fish, cutting ribs, it handles it all and is fun to use too. I totally lean on it two handed sometimes and don't worry about it at all. Takes a nice edge too, sharp and sturdy, what's not to like?

Steel Angel
    03-26-12 12:03.34 - Post#2455682    

In response to -dg

Well you bunch of enablers have influenced me to order a Konosuke HD Honesuki. No idea how often I'll use it since I don't do much chicken, but I imagine it'll be very handy when I do reach for it.

ken123
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-26-12 13:34.36 - Post#2455720    

Just curious if anyone would be interested in say a White #2 left handed Honesuki from a custom Japanese maker. It would be exquisite, but not cheap.

I remember having a left handed Honesuki thread not too long ago ...

---
    Ken
    Facebook
    Nubatama Stones, Diamond/CBN Sprays
    Natural Stones
    Atomas

Ken's Corner

-dg
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-26-12 20:53.33 - Post#2455804    

• Steel Angel Said:
    Well you bunch of enablers have influenced me to order a Konosuke HD Honesuki. No idea how often I'll use it since I don't do much chicken, but I imagine it'll be very handy when I do reach for it.

I'm sure it will be lovely, I have an HD petty that is delightful. However, the thing I like best about my FKM honesuki besides how well it works is that it is cheap and tough. I tend to baby all my other knives and use that one when I need to get rough. It's not a beater, but I'm not going to cry if it gets damaged. I'll just get another one.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.275 seconds.   Total Queries: 221   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 06:51.46