thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
Current Quote
"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we are paying for."
~ Will Rogers
426 Online Now
31 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 395 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: help choosing good japanese knives        (Topic#914468)
    stevenn21
    09-19-11 23:42.09 - Post#2388587    

hi guys so i bought some knives but some of you thing i should not of bought from the site i bought from.
    so my question is this what are good japanese knives?
    let me tell you a bit about me first.
    i am a weekend home cook i dont make sushi and i want some well known good japenese knives
    i want to know the best brands and the best websites to buy from.
    is ebays usa site ok or will they be fakes?
    apparently its not a good idea to buy in europe so usa and japanese sites would be great only sites you have used or recommend though
    oh and i want bragging rights too.
    thanks guys

stevenStefano
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-19-11 23:58.43 - Post#2388592    

In response to stevenn21

You can't buy knives on ebay if you're in the UK, which I am assuming you are. In my opinion, the best place to buy knives from if you live in Britain is JCK. The reason I'd recommend it, is because if you order from there you won't have to pay any import duty or fees, which you would have to do if you ordered from the States or other sellers in Japan usually. Koki is one of the most respected vendors here, you pay $7 postage and it usually only takes about 3 days.

What knife to buy? As a rule I'd recommend a 240 chefs knife. The Carbonext is widely seen as the best performing knife for those on a budget, though it is far from flashy. Another one I'd recommend is the Hattori FH. It is VG10 like the knives you already own but is a little flashier looking and has an awesome handle. The Inazuma range at JCK is overlooked and they are very flashy looking

In the UK, about the only place I'd recommend is Nippon Kitchen They sell the Tojiro DP range at reasonable prices but they only go up to 210

These are all either stainless or semi-stainless knives because I assume you don't want carbon, if not then the choices are totally different. I am just listing JCK knives like I say due to the very cheap shipping. Hopefully this helps and I'm sure others will also have excellent recommendations

Michiel Vanhoudt
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-11 00:02.15 - Post#2388594    

In response to stevenn21

I would seriously look at Chef Knives To Go. Very fast shipping to Europe and very reasonable pricing.

I have Kikuichi TKC, Tojiro, Moritaka and Fujiware. CCK and Maestro Wu for cleavers.

Michiel

MIKE #506

My Blog

Facebook

stevenn21
    09-20-11 00:37.09 - Post#2388599    

In response to stevenStefano

thanks stevenStefano have you used the jck original fh series?

oh guys the JCK Original FH Series look beutiful

if i buy theese knives am i going to get people saying you bought rubbish knives

also are theese the best knives the prices are reasonable
    but if i was to go all out what are the best pro high end knives?

Seb
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-11 00:37.12 - Post#2388600    

• stevenStefano Said:
    ...In my opinion, the best place to buy knives from if you live in Britain is Koki is one of the most respected vendors here, you pay $7 postage and it usually only takes about 3 days.

... The Inazuma range at JCK is overlooked and they are very flashy looking...

+1

Get the Inazuma from JCK - these should be right up your alley.

And get a wooden mag-blok to stick them up on the wall so everyone can admire them.

stevenStefano
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-20-11 00:56.09 - Post#2388606    

In response to stevenn21

• stevenn21 Said:
    thanks stevenStefano have you used the jck original fh series?

oh guys the JCK Original FH Series look beutiful

if i buy theese knives am i going to get people saying you bought rubbish knives

also are theese the best knives the prices are reasonable
    but if i was to go all out what are the best pro high end knives?

No I don't think you're gonna get people saying they're rubbish. I have a Hattori FH, it was the first real J-Knife I bought and I like it a lot. It is a perfect entry to J-Knives in my opinion and it comes with a really nice display case.

If you want the ultimate knives I'd say go for carbon. Not sure if that's what you want to do though. Other places to buy from that are popular are CKtG and JKI. The Konosuke HD is probably the most popular knife around at the moment and you can buy it from either vendor. However you will then have to pay import duty which will add up, hence suggesting you try to buy from JCK if you are starting out

I'm far from an expert, just trying to give you a little advice since you're from the UK

oivind_dahle
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-11 01:26.45 - Post#2388616    

You should name your price range

For all I know you want a high end knife from Bill Burke, Bob Kramer or Devin Thomas

But CKTG got some really good knives. I bought tons of knives from that site .) You might wanna think about sharpening equipment to

A good start is a Hiromoto 240 AS Guyto with a king combo 1000/6000 Or just go high flying and get a custom !!

stevenn21
    09-20-11 01:38.35 - Post#2388623    

thanks for your imput guys the the Inazuma are a bit too flashy! i would get 1 scratch on that blade and cry for a year lol
    plus i like the JCK Original FH Series because they look japenese and really classy and theese are in my price range

stevenn21
    09-20-11 01:42.30 - Post#2388625    

In response to oivind_dahle

price range upto $300 per knife i would like a set like the JCK Original FH Series i would buy the whole set

also go on if i was to buy 1 high end knife it would be a large cooks knife recommendations?

oivind_dahle
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-11 01:56.09 - Post#2388631    

In response to stevenn21

I personally like to have a lot of different brands as it gives far more soul to my kitchen, but its a matter of taste

Custom knives from the makers I mentioned starts at about 2000 USD, so it might not be interesting for you. Also the time before you get them is at least a year (if you get them at all)

HideĀ“s export: http://hides-export.blogspot.com/
    got some really interesting shigefusa or yoshikane.

If you are eager to start, I really recommend to start in the buy/trade/sell section

There is a really interesting Carter at B/T/S section at KKF
    Carter HG Wabocho 240 usd!!!

I would go for that if I was you! But you need two post at kkf to see this section at KKF

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.361 seconds.   Total Queries: 166   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 14:36.33