thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
thumb_1411961722-374934_2397988276894_1877393445_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1411889958-Summers_131026_-_Copy__617x800_.jpg
thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
thumb_1411471998-MapleBurlHunter.jpg
Current Quote
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
306 Online Now
18 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 288 guests are online now.
     Page 15 of 18 « First<15161718
    Username Post: WEPS Shapton Progression        (Topic#909886)
    clayallison
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-25-11 07:22.22 - Post#2379886    

In response to Michiel Vanhoudt

• Michiel Vanhoudt Said:
    I do my convex edges on a belt sander. The are bright as a mirror, but not in this league. Not until they make 15k belts that is

That makes more sense though I know you're very humble as well and I'm sure your edges are beautiful.
    Wicked Edge Website -- Wicked Edge on Facebook

jendeindustries
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-25-11 11:13.24 - Post#2379953    

In response to clayallison

• Quote:
    There was also some feeling of roughness when I ran the 8k stones over the blade.

OK- if you felt ANY bumps on the 8K it was contamination for sure. Also, if you use a very coarse lapping medium on the 5K and above, it makes the surface of the stone feel quite rough (but it won't leave scratches like the previous picture). I suggest using your 600 or 1,200 diamonds to lap those stones.

• clayallison Said:

That's more like it!

I've found that even if things look really perfect at the 1K, 1500 and 2K levels, they still mask some of the deepest scratches, which the 5K exposes.

On the 15K. You will see scratches. I've wrestled with those scratches that seem to appear from nowhere for a while and what I have unofficially concluded is that the metal shavings that come off on the stone from the 15K cause them. On straights, you don't see this because there is little to no swarf buildup. So I suggest keeping the 15K as clean as possible and only use light strokes.

All this magnification does bog us down sometimes, but it really helps improve your game. Either way, those beautiful pics of the finished edge speak huge volumes. Excellent work, Clay! (as usual!)
    Tom Blodgett

Edge Pro stones
    KME Stones
    WEPS Stones

My Blog!

The_Guide
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-25-11 11:55.13 - Post#2379964    

In response to jendeindustries

Are those pics of the TK2 with the edge convexed?

How did you go about convexing it after the 15k?

clayallison
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-26-11 00:57.48 - Post#2380116    

In response to The_Guide

• The_Guide Said:
    Are those pics of the TK2 with the edge convexed?

How did you go about convexing it after the 15k?

I haven't started shaping the edge yet. I'm love how crazy sharp it is right now at 16.5 degrees and I haven't steeled myself to put those wider angles on it. I'll have to wait until I get back from the ranch to finish it off.

clayallison
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-26-11 05:02.01 - Post#2380184    

• jendeindustries Said:
    • Quote:
    There was also some feeling of roughness when I ran the 8k stones over the blade.

OK- if you felt ANY bumps on the 8K it was contamination for sure. Also, if you use a very coarse lapping medium on the 5K and above, it makes the surface of the stone feel quite rough (but it won't leave scratches like the previous picture). I suggest using your 600 or 1,200 diamonds to lap those stones.

• clayallison Said:

That's more like it!

I've found that even if things look really perfect at the 1K, 1500 and 2K levels, they still mask some of the deepest scratches, which the 5K exposes.

On the 15K. You will see scratches. I've wrestled with those scratches that seem to appear from nowhere for a while and what I have unofficially concluded is that the metal shavings that come off on the stone from the 15K cause them. On straights, you don't see this because there is little to no swarf buildup. So I suggest keeping the 15K as clean as possible and only use light strokes.

All this magnification does bog us down sometimes, but it really helps improve your game. Either way, those beautiful pics of the finished edge speak huge volumes. Excellent work, Clay! (as usual!)

Thanks Tom. I felt pretty certain about the contamination. I should have wiped the plate off before setting them down. I generally lap them together which works really well. If (as was the case today) the coarse stones have a good sized dish in the middle, then I'll use one of the diamonds. The 120# dish really quickly, so to flatten them, I used the 100 Atomas until most of the gap was gone and then lapped them against each other until they were perfectly mated. You can see how I did exactly as you described when I went to the 15000# stones and pressed a little harder than I should have and put some new scratches back in. When I did that, a question came up for me - what is the friability of the Shapton abrasive? What makes me ask is that I'm fairly convinced that the scratching occurred as I let the end of the stone pass over the bevel. Mostly I work in the center of the stone, building up a nice slurry, but I did a few upward strokes in which the last .5" of the stone passed over the bevel and I could feel that it was a little rougher. My theory is that the abrasive in the middle of the stone and slurry is more broken down and when I run off the end of the stone, I'm getting into abrasive in the larger, original grain size. What do you think?

I can't seem to say enough how much I love both the Choseras and the Shaptons. I did not expect to be quite this thrilled!

15000#:

8000#:

Edited by clayallison on 08-26-11 05:04.35. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jendeindustries
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-26-11 15:30.17 - Post#2380391    

I know I sound like a snob, and I apologize...

You can see the sheer shine from the 15K - but I still think the majority of those scratches are leftovers

Tom Blodgett

Edge Pro stones
    KME Stones
    WEPS Stones

My Blog!

clayallison
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-07-11 03:28.25 - Post#2395840    

Gearing up to do Leo's PXL Folder. I've got to dust off these posts and figure out if I'm supposed to do it with the Choseras or the Shaptons...

leomitch
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-07-11 04:19.20 - Post#2395855    

Hi Clay
    You are doing the PXL with the Shaptons I believe.

Leo
    Gibbs rule:#9-Never go anywhere without a knife.

clayallison
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-19-11 07:10.39 - Post#2401085    

In response to leomitch

Finally got some time to start on Leo's Fällknieven PXL Folder! Here is an update on how it's shaping up:

This is a beautiful knife with ivory Micarta® scales.

Here is a picture of the knife just as it came from Leo:

zoom in - 230x
    The knife as it came from Leo.

You can see that he did a really nice job of creating a convex edge and the final edge is very even and crisp. The first step was to flatten the bevels to 16 degrees. I used the 120# Shapton stones to do it, working thoroughly in an effort to erase all scratches from previous sharpenings. I didn't keep track of strokes or time, just worked until I was confident that I'd completely remade the bevels.

zoom in - 230x
    Fällknieven PXL Folder after the Shapton 120# stones.
    After the 120# stones, the knife edge looks ragged with big chunks missing. The effect is caused by large grits removing larger pieces of metal. The scratches are fairly even and uniform. I moved up to the 220# Shaptons and worked to erase all the scratches from the 120# stones. With the Wicked Edge, it's easy to make a lot of strokes very quickly.

zoom in - 230x
    Fällknieven PXL Folder after the Shapton 220# stones.

clayallison
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-19-11 07:29.41 - Post#2401097    

On to the Shapton 320# stones!

Here again, I did not count strokes. My goal was complete erasure of the 220# scratches so I first stroked parallel to the edge until the only scratches I could see with my handheld 45x microscope were parallel to the edge. Then I continued for a while longer before switching to strokes more perpendicular to the edge.

zoom in - 230x
    Fällknieven PXL Folder after the Shapton 320# stones.

Page 15 of 18 « First<15161718
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.253 seconds.   Total Queries: 166   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 14:44.56