Recent Pictures
thumb_1411061614-1.JPG
thumb_1410635072-MVP_61bsmallerfilesize.jpg
thumb_1409428191-DSC_0019kf.jpg
thumb_1409241408-8.JPG
thumb_1408752966-Buck110-arrowheads.jpg
thumb_1408752721-1280x-buck110-steampunk2.jpg
Current Quote
"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered."
~ Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
234 Online Now
25 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 209 guests are online now.
     Page 7 of 10 « First<78910
    Username Post: The Grand Unified Grit Chart        (Topic#904090)
    Komitadjie
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-17-11 17:20.30 - Post#2387889    

In response to Lagrangian

And THAT is why I mentioned earlier that more or less any chart like this can only be an approximation, given the wide range of tolerances involved.

Mr. Wizard
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-17-11 22:13.28 - Post#2387907    

Some useful information regarding the Sharpmaker rods from Pam:

http://www.foodieforums.com/vbullet...

Lagrangian, thank you for digging deeper into the grit grading standards. It is clear from the wide particle variances that a strict bijection is impossible, but unified charts are still useful guidelines.

Komitadjie kindly sent me the chart information. I would like to present it in a few new forms. They are a "Mr. Magoo" table, a line chart, and a chart with names placed logarithmically by micron size. I hope that they will be helpful in referencing this data.

I omitted a few data points from the two charts for clarity. On the first one I left out the EdgePro #2000 tape as it is wildly off the trend line. On the second chart, I removed the 10K and 16K Shapton stones, and the JIS 180, because they overlapped other names. Neither chart preserves the "approximate" and "compound" labels from the table.

I welcome any suggestions for improving these.

"Mr. Magoo" Table

Chart 1

Chart 2

Attachment

Lagrangian
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-18-11 06:37.00 - Post#2388028    

In response to Komitadjie

@Komitadjie:

Yeah... I agree it is impossible to do a strict conversion between grit number and microns.

Even so... I'm interested in the official grit standards (ANSI,FEPA, JIS,...) for their own sake. For example, we know that there is only an approximate conversion from 1000 grit into microns. But what does 1000 grit actually mean? Since it is an engineering standard, it should be fairly well defined, and useful to understand.

@Mr.Wizard:

Wow thanks for that! I've been wanting to do a log-log plot of microns vs grit number for awhile now. It's at least partially reassuring that the log-log plots show straight lines! (This means the relationship is a power-law. Intuitively, we expect something like microns=1/grit power law (ie: exponent is -1). Now we can check what the exponent actually is, maybe by finding the best line through each set of points via least-squares-fit.)

And that link about the Sharpmaker rods is really fascinating.

Super thanks!

Sincerely,
    --Lagrangian

Edited by Lagrangian on 09-18-11 06:42.48. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lagrangian
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-18-11 14:04.55 - Post#2388162    

In response to Mr. Wizard

@Mr. Wizard:

Thanks so much! Just a quick suggestion: Since Komitadjie is updating his chart every so often, maybe you could include a version-number or date in your tables and charts?

That'll help us know when/if we're using the latest and greatest version.

Komitadjie
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-18-11 16:50.25 - Post#2388195    

If you'll notice, I've started marking in the bottom of my versions the revision number and currency date. I was starting to confuse myself going back and forth from work to home, with different versions. Don't want to accidentally lose info because I stepped back a version without noticing.

Lagrangian
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-18-11 18:06.49 - Post#2388213    

@Mr.Wizard:
    @Komitadjie:

Maybe Mr. Wizard can use Komitadjie's version numbers? I think that would cause the least confusion.

Mr. Wizard
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-18-11 19:42.44 - Post#2388219    

• Lagrangian Said:
    Thanks so much! Just a quick suggestion: Since Komitadjie is updating his chart every so often, maybe you could include a version-number or date in your tables and charts?

That'll help us know when/if we're using the latest and greatest version.

Good idea. I put these up to gauge interest and get suggestions. I have already seen a couple of mistakes, such as "Fine" getting truncated to "ine" in Chart 2. I also left out a key for the table to explain the highlighted cells (and incidentally I got one of these wrong: A30 vs A20.) Which of these do you find useful? Chart 1 you said helped; what about the other two?

For the purpose of updates, appending posts to a lengthening thread does not seem optimal. On other forums, with lasting Edit privileges, the OP often updates his initial post with new data. Perhaps we could ask a moderator to edit that post for each revision, OR, edit it once to use external URLs, which we can update ourselves. Komitadjie, if one or more of my graphics is deemed helpful, would you include it in the root post in this scenario?

Komitadjie
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-19-11 03:01.57 - Post#2388301    

In response to Mr. Wizard

Best way to do it might just be to see if one of the mods can just update my first post to include the latest and greatest versions of all the information that ends up being deemed useful. I've got no claim to this information, it's just a compilation, so if you want to make better graphics and analysis of it, I'd be happy to have 'em included!

The reason I've been sticking with this method (as opposed to posting the Excel directly, or printing to a PDF) is so that the information is readily and instantly available to anyone who looks. PNGs are automatically read by every browser, so there's no trouble with needing reader software or later-model Office. Also, by having only ONE editable source, it keeps revision control current so I don't end up with three or four versions of the sheet floating around with different numbers on 'em.

Edited by Komitadjie on 09-19-11 03:05.42. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Simms65
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-11 01:14.25 - Post#2388609    

The easiest for me would be if you could email or PT me the newest chart when you update it and I can edit the first post.
    David

My pictures starting 2013! My old pictures!

Founding member Mike #281
    Barkiholic enabler!

At least I am not brainwashed into fearing an inanimate object.

Komitadjie
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-11 02:00.52 - Post#2388635    

In response to Simms65

Ok, I can do that. Thanks, Simms!

Page 7 of 10 « First<78910
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.283 seconds.   Total Queries: 166   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 11:21.01