thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
thumb_1411961722-374934_2397988276894_1877393445_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1411889958-Summers_131026_-_Copy__617x800_.jpg
thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
thumb_1411471998-MapleBurlHunter.jpg
Current Quote
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."
~ George Washington
252 Online Now
23 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 229 guests are online now.
     Page 2 of 3 All<123
    Username Post: Question about my first Strider SMF        (Topic#902598)
    Garrett1
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-10-11 15:36.10 - Post#2336528    

In response to B Sargent

this is true

Don Reeves
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-11-11 03:06.04 - Post#2336667    

In response to B Sargent

I beg to differ, I have seen LOADS of perfect hand ground blades.
    just raise your standards.... But that is no excuse for a company that has C.A.D. machines to produce uneven grind lines...period. is that a arrogant attitude?? I think so.
    could this be a "seconds" knife ??
    for whatever reason this gives me a excuse to take the one hour crosstown drive to the nearest knife shop to fondle the knife before purchase. L.A. traffic sux.

KyleyHarris
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-11-11 03:22.40 - Post#2336678    

In response to Don Reeves

There is a reason they make a Nightmare grind, and not a heavenly grind..

I have to concur with Mike. Strider spell it out pretty clear, and there are enough reviews and videos out there showing the fit and finish are rough.. They also show that the knives just dont break.

I'll never buy a strider, because I just dont need a beastly folder that will not break prying the chains off a tank. That grind wouldn't phase me in the slightest if I did buy one though.

MikeStewart
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-11-11 03:24.11 - Post#2336680    

• Don Reeves Said:
    just raise your standards.... But that is no excuse for a company that has C.A.D. machines to produce uneven grind lines...period. is that a arrogant attitude?? I think so.
    could this be a "seconds" knife ??
    for whatever reason this gives me a excuse to take the one hour crosstown drive to the nearest knife shop to fondle the knife before purchase. L.A. traffic sux.

Don,

Nobody here is disagreeing with you - You care about something that they really don't care about.

You also have the Ability of Driving over to Plaza Cutlery and having them show you every one of the so you can determine if there is one there that meets YOUR standards.

All of them obviously meet Strider's Standards or they would not have shipped them out.

Tool/Weapons etc do not NEED Even grind lines to work. They work exactly the same in Combat situations. so YOUR Criteria may be Different than a Trooper using one in the Sandbox.

You really should never settle for something that you consider important.

Mike
    BRKCA MIKE #01
    NJKCA #041

"I Am America"

Bark River Facebook Group - Join Today

RIP Chris + 1

Sharpshooter
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-11-11 03:47.05 - Post#2336692    

• Don Reeves Said:
    just raise your standards.... But that is no excuse for a company that has C.A.D. machines to produce uneven grind lines...period. is that a arrogant attitude?? I think so....

Perhaps you could tell us where the CAD update disk is inserted in this grinder?

Arrogant? Not unless you consider making statements assuming knowledge beyond what you possess.

Many people think knives are simple a matter of feeding raw materials in one end of a machine and waiting at the other end for the completed product.

Complaining about cosmetic imperfections on a Strider Knife is like complaining about getting bad gas mileage in a Bentley...

The standard you are setting of in YOUR mind, not that of the manufacturer so complaining is rather pointless.

Experience life on purpose
    BRKCA Mike89
    Sharpshooter Sheaths
    NorthStar Trading Post
    עור פועל

RedLynx
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-11-11 04:13.14 - Post#2336700    

In response to Sharpshooter

• Sharpshooter Said:

Arrogant? Not unless you consider making statements assuming knowledge beyond what you possess.

I think this is the perfect definition of one being "stuck up," but I've always felt arrogance was knowing you possessed knowledge beyond other people. Ah, just kiddin'. Too bad there are lots of people like that.

vgal888
    05-11-11 14:35.58 - Post#2336881    

In response to MikeStewart

Mike I see where you coming from I really do, but I think you looking at it the wrong way and really don't understand my concern. Let me explain. I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm an engineer. I know a thing or two about physics, balance, dynamics etc.... Strider is a knife and it's main purpose is to cut! The way I got this blade with "cosmetic faults", will put more pressure on one side more than the other during a deep cut causing it to stick more than a perfectly symmetrical blade would putting more strain on the operator. Also because of that it would have tendency to drag the cutting edge to one side more than the other therefore causing it to dull up faster than the symmetrical blade. So in actuality, the defect isn't so cosmetic as you think. Strider is one of top manufacturers of knives and they should provide a highest quality product. Maybe you would be happy with a Bentley that has a slanted hood on it, but I would deffinetly complain if it wasn't getting as good of the gas mileage as it should due to a dynamic defect.

brianWE
    05-11-11 14:43.56 - Post#2336885    

In response to vgal888

• In reply to:
    I don't know what you do for a living, but

I suspect you will find out, soon
    Brian W Edginton
    Please don't attack me for what you read between the lines of my posts.
    I didn't write it...you did.

Sharpshooter
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-11-11 14:54.39 - Post#2336889    

In response to vgal888

Hmmm...

Wasn't there something in Engineer School about seeking out experts in specific fields in order to correctly apply the principles.

Something about interviewing people in the field tends to bring the textbook concepts to light.

I remember a specific engineer who spent a very long week working in the field, fixing transmissions he was in charge of designing. He learned about making things inaccessible for service in the field for ease of manufacture.

After pulling the third one out of a truck to perform a simple repair that was a simple job before his "Improvement" he got the message.

My suggestion is that you do a bit of homework to find out exactly who you are "educating".

Hint: My shop is responsible for making 500 sheaths every week to fill someone's orders. We've been doing that for going on 5 years, replacing someone else who did it for many more than that.

Wish to guess who I sell those sheaths to?
    Experience life on purpose
    BRKCA Mike89
    Sharpshooter Sheaths
    NorthStar Trading Post
    עור פועל

MikeStewart
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-11-11 14:57.12 - Post#2336890    

In response to vgal888

• vgal888 Said:
    Mike I see where you coming from I really do, but I think you looking at it the wrong way and really don't understand my concern. Let me explain. I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm an engineer. I know a thing or two about physics, balance, dynamics etc.... Strider is a knife and it's main purpose is to cut! The way I got this blade with "cosmetic faults", will put more pressure on one side more than the other during a deep cut causing it to stick more than a perfectly symmetrical blade would putting more strain on the operator. Also because of that it would have tendency to drag the cutting edge to one side more than the other therefore causing it to dull up faster than the symmetrical blade. So in actuality, the defect isn't so cosmetic as you think. Strider is one of top manufacturers of knives and they should provide a highest quality product. Maybe you would be happy with a Bentley that has a slanted hood on it, but I would deffinetly complain if it wasn't getting as good of the gas mileage as it should due to a dynamic defect.

Let me tell you what I do for a living - I make Knives - Tons of them - more than Strider - More than almost anyone here on this Forum.

I know knives better than most.

I actually hire engineers.

I also am a very accomplished outdoorsman and hunter.

When I say that a knife that has the Grind a little off(Like your Strider) will cut the same it is because I KNOW that it will cut the same.

Edge holding is not a Factor of Symmetry.

The Issues with your knife are REAL to you and As I said - you should either have them fixed or return the knife.

Telling me that the Cosmetic Issues on that knife will effect it's performance is not such a hot idea. I know Different. I have no reason to not tell the Truth about it.

I have no Motive to lead you in any direction but that of the truth.

The issues are Cosmetic and will not effect performance.

Looking at something with an engineer's eye sometimes it totally trumped by "Use in a Human Hand".

You are splitting hairs and it is not going to fly with me.

I say - get it fixed or get rid of it - you should not keep a knife that you think is not up to what you want it to be.

That is a good enough reason - you don't have to prove to me or anyone else here that you are justified in your Concerns - just the Sheer Fact that it bothers you is enough.

Strider Knives are not for everyone - You might be a lot happier with the work of one of the other makers I mentioned above.

You will find them symmetrical and smoother and "Better Engineered" for the Average User.

Mike
    BRKCA MIKE #01
    NJKCA #041

"I Am America"

Bark River Facebook Group - Join Today

RIP Chris + 1

Page 2 of 3 All<123
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.771 seconds.   Total Queries: 170   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 09:14.36