thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
thumb_1403803806-1.JPG
thumb_1403370287-172-Box-Elder-Hunter-a.jpg
thumb_1403211911-1.JPG
Current Quote
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
~ Abraham Lincoln
244 Online Now
18 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 226 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 7 1234>» Last
    Username Post: PWYP - What Worked / What Didn&#039        (Topic#901362)
    SgtMike88Ret
    Super Moderator
    04-11-11 03:10.52 - Post#2325000    

Let's hear the reports - What worked and what didn't...

For me, I had no major essential gear catastrophic failures. However, I did have a Bass Pro Folding chair bite the dust.

Doug and I also had a failure of a discussion topic co-moderator to live up to expectations. Quite the ruckus in camp after he spoke and quite the celebration when he left.

What did work? I think that overall, my best performing piece of gear was my combat pooper scooper / root chopper Cold Steel Spec Forces shovel. It did so many chores effectively that I was extremely impressed. It's a keeper...

M
    "By failing to prepare, you're preparing to fail." B. Franklin

We're Back! http://sgtmikessurvivalti ps.blogspo...

rsuperjet1
    04-11-11 03:27.21 - Post#2325009    

In response to SgtMike88Ret

My tent didn't leak. And it was an El-Cheapo model from Dick's Sporting Goods.

deathtakeslast
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-11-11 03:34.24 - Post#2325014    

In response to rsuperjet1

Same here no tent leakage. It was the first time using it.

What didn't work is sleeping in my truck my first night because it was late and didn't feel like setting up. Big mistake. I was sucking at life that knife.

Simms65
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-11-11 03:58.26 - Post#2325025    

In response to deathtakeslast

All the basic gear worked no problem. It was our first camping trip where we took one of the surplus German folding shovel/pick tools I've had for a bit, and that was rather handy. Our tent held up no problem, even though it was partially in a waterway after that rain it didn't leak.
    David

My pictures starting 2013! My old pictures!

Founding member Mike #281
    Barkiholic enabler!

At least I am not brainwashed into fearing an inanimate object.

Jilly
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-11-11 04:33.39 - Post#2325034    

In response to Simms65

PWYP Keeps getting better and better every year! The Ladies Self Defense class was very informative. I definitely came away with alot to think about.

Despite the drama with the PSK seminar, I will definitely be rethinking mine, and will be adding a few things. Although, I did find out that my first aid kit is suitably stocked for the most part. I got some type of irritant in my eye on thursday, and had to ask Terrill and Roxy for help, so eye wash will be a definite and immediate addition to my kit. On the other hand, I was able to immediately and effectively take care of Davids finger when he sliced the pad off of his left ring finger with his new Blind Horse machete.

This was the first trip out for my new military surplus rain coat and sleeping bag. Both were fabulous.

I also learned that I need to practice my campfire cooking skills, as I burned my annual pie. :o)

darkwaters
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-11-11 05:27.35 - Post#2325052    

In response to Jilly

My new hammock set up worked great, mummy bag not so much(to tight in the shoulders or the feet). NEED MORE BIC LIGHTERS!! I lost mine a few times, but I did manage to light 2 smokes with flint, steel, and char cloth. My home made wool blanket coat worked great along with my swiss poncho. No major failures with me just lack of knowing where I left things.

cammiegirl2
    Member KnifeNut!
    04-11-11 05:30.13 - Post#2325053    

In response to SgtMike88Ret

Well what didn't work, for starters, brought too much food...again! The BL BS, but on the otherhand we have many good laughs for the coming years. A week on an airmattress was too much; I think we'll be investing in some good cots for next year. Any suggestions?

What worked? Found a good balance with my Coleman oven...nothing burned or was undercooked this year! YAY! Lodge dutch oven liners (aluminum and parchment), saved hours of cleaning time. Loved our new First-Up canopy...It kept us warm on cold mornings with the stove and lantern going; kept us - and many others - dry through two horrendous downpours and stayed standing during a windstorm thanks to the vents. Lastly, the Zombie shoot! Surprised the heck out of myself! Thanks for your guidance Terrill, couldn't have completed it without you.

But most of all, what worked was Family! I miss you all!
    ~ Robin ...aka Zombie Hunter

Enjoy Life...Outdoors!!!

deathtakeslast
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-11-11 06:33.44 - Post#2325066    

In response to Simms65

Just remember that shovel David. Looked like you guys used it for everything. I meant to take alook at it but got caught up relaxing to much

scaatylobo
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-11-11 10:15.16 - Post#2325156    

In response to deathtakeslast

Was real happy that Adam helped hang that extra tarp [ life saver ] and still the mud was a slippery slope = REALLY.

Not gonna talk to Charlie May as he brought some stuff that made me lose some memory .
    " A Bad Day Living,Beats A Good Day Dead"

SgtMike88Ret
    Super Moderator
    04-11-11 10:19.44 - Post#2325159    

In response to scaatylobo

Steve, At our ages, brain cells are a precious commodity...

M
    "By failing to prepare, you're preparing to fail." B. Franklin

We're Back! http://sgtmikessurvivalti ps.blogspo...

Page 1 of 7 1234>» Last
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.777 seconds.   Total Queries: 170   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 23:08.26