Recent Pictures
thumb_1418522352-DSC_0739.JPG
thumb_1418308059-155968_3979336369608_983486530_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1418238104-IMAG0604A.jpg
thumb_1417303599-1939993_10205054310055509_7241977599994909490_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1416949994-1.JPG
thumb_1416364824-MVP_67a.jpg
Current Quote
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
"
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
237 Online Now
24 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 213 guests are online now.
     Page 2 of 5 <2345
    Username Post: Golok and batoning?        (Topic#892768)
    FoxRiver
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-02-11 16:50.52 - Post#2284514    

In response to Schony

I find that a Golok chops better than it batons. Not sure why, but it may have something to do with the height of the blade.

Now, it must be said that the Golok I used was not a Bark River Golok. However, the blade shape appears to be identical. Then again, I'm not 100% sure about that.

Mine is quite chunky with an edge so thick, I cannot even get it very sharp. That thick grind may be why batoning appears to be its Achilles' heel. It batons OK through soft woods, but it does not work well on harder woods.

That said, as a chopping tool, it does what it supposed to do quite well. I would still like to get my hands on a Bark River Golok because I think it is a better tool. And everyone here seems to agree that it works magically well. I think I'll order one from the next run.

Edited by FoxRiver on 02-02-11 16:56.12. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Simms65
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-03-11 01:56.39 - Post#2284619    

In response to FoxRiver

In the time that I've had my Goloks I've used them for just about anything that can be imagined of a large knife including chopping and batoning. One lives in my BOB in my truck, and it also gets taken with me when camping/backpacking. I've used them quite hard, and the only real damage I've managed with the older one is breaking a bamboo handle slab in half. I was batoning some wet maple and was literally using my Golok like I'd stolen it. It was raining and about 40F. Too cold to mess around. I wrapped the handle with some tape and kept going.

Mike replaced the handle no questions asked (aside from how the @#$% I managed to break a chunk of laminated bamboo in half )...

On my newer Golok I managed to chip the edge just a bit. I kept using it that trip with no issues and once I got home it went to the spa, was fixed right up and came back. Again, no questions asked and speedy service.

It's really difficult to beat the Golok for overall utility, and nearly impossible to have better customer service and support than Mike provides.
    David

My pictures starting 2013! My old pictures!

Founding member Mike #281
    Barkiholic enabler!

At least I am not brainwashed into fearing an inanimate object.

Skinny
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-03-11 02:04.35 - Post#2284623    

In response to Simms65

I use the heck out of my golok. It is not babied AT ALL and it has done nothing but perform flawlessly in batoning and chopping.

Just saying....
    Christian

Click it!

BRKCA Mike #777
    Founding Member

MikeStewart
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-03-11 02:24.48 - Post#2284639    

In response to Skinny

I'm not sure if we have said this recently.

Chopping with knives is never as effecient as using an Ax.

On Smaller Stuff I find it more convenient to use a large knife like the Golok.

Here is a Basic rule that will save your blade and your arm.

Late Spring - Summer - Early Fall - Chop. Let the weight and velocity of the knife do the work. There is no reason to strike any wood hard with real hard swings.

Winter Wood - Always Baton.

Once the Sap runs out of the tree into the Root system for Winter - Don't waste a lot of energy Chopping.

Mike...............
    BRKCA MIKE #01
    NJKCA #041

"I Am America"

Bark River Facebook Group - Join Today

RIP Chris + 1

insector
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-03-11 06:28.31 - Post#2284768    

In response to MikeStewart

Perhaps it is because the Golok can be beautiful. But she is also a beast! Almost a contradiction until you start to chop.

You can not beat the Golok in terms of chopping efficiency vs. weight of other choppers. I pack in. I don't pack a wedge (axe)........

And like Mike says.....you're a fool to chop large winter wood. I only choose seasoned wood in winter and with small diameter. But about 10 times more of it..........

You can use it as a draw knife. You can behead big game with it and disjoint deer and elk with it. You can skin deer with it.

But you can not chop rocks and metal chains with it. The limit will be found there. And it don't roll or chip on wood or deer...........guaranteed

I love this Golok.......MINE

Once you use it, you will then know

Attachment

Insects as a science cast a great shadow on those humbled by this eternal generation of curiosity. So vast that no single mind could ever truly begin to fathom it.......

Dale

kalama
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-03-11 09:38.34 - Post#2284882    

In response to insector

well i think you read my post about my golok breaking,all i have to say is that it was a freak accident,the blade hit an embeded chain,what i can say is i got that blade from bax 40 an i love it ,i use it almost every day at home ,on hunts an at the ranch were i work an play,it was my go too blade,i used it hard very hard an it served me well,just was a freak accident.

insector
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-03-11 12:38.11 - Post#2284986    

In response to kalama

I understand............I agree

Insects as a science cast a great shadow on those humbled by this eternal generation of curiosity. So vast that no single mind could ever truly begin to fathom it.......

Dale

bax 40
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-03-11 15:05.23 - Post#2285106    

In response to kalama

Kalama is in my estimation one of the most avid users of knives on this forum and he does not baby them but takes good care of them, we have made several trades and I have always been happy with what I got in return and have made a good friend even with the long distance between us, Ed I have two goloks and am always open to a trade if you got somthin that strikes my eye.
    I only have this picture of a pretty one with cocobolos handles but have another with micarta and a excellent kydex sheath by Twin Blade, I think it has liners and a leather sheath too so pm me if you are in search of another!!

Larry
    • kalama Said:
    well i think you read my post about my golok breaking,all i have to say is that it was a freak accident,the blade hit an embeded chain,what i can say is i got that blade from bax 40 an i love it ,i use it almost every day at home ,on hunts an at the ranch were i work an play,it was my go too blade,i used it hard very hard an it served me well,just was a freak accident.

Attachment

FoxRiver
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-03-11 15:59.16 - Post#2285125    

In response to bax 40

So Larry was the one who implanted that microscopic charge with a delayed amino plasma molecular trigger that severed Kalama's Golok. I thought only Sir. Charlie could do such a thing.

Not to worry. Since I have an advanced degree in amino plasmatic molecular triggerology, all who have done any trading with Larry should send me their knives for disarming. Do it quick, 'cause...(tick-tack, tick-tack...)

Grampa
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    02-03-11 16:38.46 - Post#2285149    

In response to kalama

Kalama, if your avatar is a photo of you (and I suspect it is!), I can understand how you broke your Golok!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 <2345
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.306 seconds.   Total Queries: 170   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 11:18.01