thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
Current Quote
"
A free people ought...to be armed..

speech of January 7, 1790"
~ George Washington
239 Online Now
12 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 227 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: sharpening a lazer ice auger        (Topic#889895)
    ilikefood
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    12-14-10 14:10.29 - Post#2252955    

Hello:

I will purchase a Strikemaster hand lazer ice auger for ice fishing in Wisconsin. The replacement blades are about half the cost of a new auger (new about auger $70, replacement blades about $32). When I buy and use the auger, I would like to sharpen the blades myself. I currently have a king 1000/6000 plus bark river gray and green stropping compound. From what I remember, the blades are single-bevel and are convexed with the bevel on the inside of the curve. Here is a good picture to show the shape of the blade: Link

Does anyone have any ideas how to sharpen this blade? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    David

pcm81
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-14-10 14:25.40 - Post#2252965    

In response to ilikefood

Id try to use a small file to sharpen it. I doubt that you will get much usefulness of very refined edge, (4k-10k) so 1k edge is probably as good as you will need. I'd guess that the very tip of the edge will break off on very 1st use, so after you use it once it will be the same weather sharpened to 1kor 10k.

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-14-10 15:35.20 - Post#2252987    

In response to pcm81

There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to get that thing sharp enough to shave with.

Ok, just kidding. I would do it with a coarse angle grinder. The more tooth the better, and it would be super quick.

The picture is kind of difficult to make heads or tails of for me though. A coarse bastard file may work well too. the less refined your edge the better, I'm guessing.
    Trust me, for I like big butts and I cannot lie.

EdgePal
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-15-10 06:38.37 - Post#2253306    

In response to ilikefood

David, those blades are some of the most difficult blades in the world to sharpen – and ice drills must be very sharp to work properly.

Is there any problem with the edge on only 1 mm of the edge – the ice drill will not work at all.

Knifes have 1 dimension edges. Ice drills have 3 dimension edges – so – you must sharpen 3 different dimensions at the same time – and you cannot do that by freehand properly. You can succeed once if you are lucky. You probably will make the edge sharp – and in wrong angle – and that means that you cannot do it twice = you probably destroy the edge if you try to sharpen it by freehand.

That type of ice drill blades have been in use here in Scandinavia for decades and all people here say that they are impossible to sharpen.

I have constructed a sharpening tool that can sharpen them perfect – the tools name is IcePal. IcePal sharpens all 3 dimensions at the same time. Follow this link and study the photos there: http://edgepal.com/products-ice-se....

This type of ice drill blade are curved (screwed), concave shaped - and the sharpening angle are steep in one end of the edge and flat in the other end = the sharpening angle changes along the edge from steep to flat.

It is easy to get an edge with 1 dimension sharp. To sharpen 3 dimensions at the same time are very difficult. That is why this type of edge is one of the most difficult in the world to sharpen.

Study the photos of IcePal. The sharpening angle screw is 5 cm high on those pictures. The edge is mounted diagonal (important!) and IcePal use a convex diamond sharpener on 30 micron.

Things to remember. The edge must be 100% perfect – and NEVER try to sharpen the backside (downside) of the edge! If you do, you have destroyed the function and the ice drill cannot drill in ice no more. If you have burr on the downside, the ice drill do not function. If 1% of the edge is not perfect – it will not drill.

You must test the ice drill in ice after the sharpening, it is the only way to find out if you have sharpen it correct.

Thomas

pcm81
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-15-10 06:47.25 - Post#2253313    

In response to EdgePal

Can someone explain to me the difference between icepal and a striped down version of edgepro? Geometrically they look the same...

EdgePal
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-15-10 07:33.15 - Post#2253348    

In response to pcm81

Well, IcePal cannot sharpen flat edges. IcePal is 90 mm long and sharpens 3 dimension edges on ice drills – and IcePal are designed to sharpen ice drills out on the ice during fishing = IcePal is a sharpening tool for outdoor use. (This is necessary because ice drills very often gets dull (and damaged its edge on stones under the ice during fishing. If an ice drill edge hits sand, or worse, a stone under the ice, the ice drill do not drill after that and it needs to be sharpened, if you cannot sharpen it – the fishing that day is ended because you cannot drill any new holes).

EdgePro are much bigger, it is bench tool to use indoors, it is designed to sharpen flat edges - and you cannot sharpen ice drill edges on an EdgePro.

I think that is very, very, big differences.

All sharpening tools there are looks similar and they work similar (but not exactly the same) because they shall sharpen edges.

Some tools, as IcePal, are special tools for just one type of edges. Other tools can sharpen three different types of edges - most tools can just sharpen one type of edges.

EdgePro was not the first sharpening tool in the world, far from it. Sharpening tools have been in use for at least 1000 years. And, they all look the same because they are designed to sharpen edges.

Thomas

ilikefood
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    12-16-10 07:02.44 - Post#2253699    

In response to EdgePal

Thomas:

Thank you so much for all the great information! Now I must ask, where can I find an icepal in the U.S? I did a quick search on the internet but could not find any seller in the U.S.

Thanks everyone else for their ideas. I was sold on the idea of using a file, but now Thomas has me scared to try it freehand.

EdgePal
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-16-10 10:06.33 - Post#2253767    

In response to ilikefood

Ilikefood, I think you are very vice. Ice drill edges are very special. If I, on my knife edge, get a small part that is dull, I can use other parts of the edge that still are sharp.

If your ice drill edge gets even the smallest damage, the drill does not work at all. This because that this tiny damage collects “snow” on the edge downside - and lifts up the edge so it is “turning in the air” above the ice – it do not reach the ice any more. Edges are not just edges; some edges are very different from other edges.

I have no retailers in US so you cannot by IcePal there. I have sold out all IcePal for the moment but I will produce new series off IcePal later on. The winter have just begun here…

When you bought your ice drill, study the edges on it – and you will understand what I am talking about. People have trouble to get 1 dimension edges sharp, ice drill edges have 3 dimensions and you must sharpen all 3 dimension at the same time – out on the ice, with gloves on…

Thomas

ytreich
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-16-10 19:00.41 - Post#2254059    

In response to EdgePal

Sorry Edgepal, I knew not what the hell of which I spoke.
    Trust me, for I like big butts and I cannot lie.

EdgePal
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-17-10 02:42.30 - Post#2254170    

In response to ytreich

Ytreich, no problem!

Edges on knifes are similar, it is just a matter of degrees and finish most of the time.

Other edges/tools works sometimes very different than knifes edges do. Ice drills is one example of that. You can sharpen an ice drill so it is super sharp – but – you MUST use it in ice to see if it works.

Another example is felling axes (convex edge). If the convex curve is to flat – the axe is fastening in the tree and it can be a hell to get it out again. If the convex curve is to steep the axe just bounce on the tree and do not go in to the tree. If the convex curve is perfect for a felling axe the edge go deep in to the tree – and bounce out again – and you can work with a nice rhythm and fell the tree fast.

Knifes with convex edges works in the same way. The edge must be able to penetrate the material well = the convex curve must be perfect adjusted to the material you shall work with. If the convex curve is to steep, you must use a lot of force. If the convex curve is to flat, your edge will be dull fast.

That is why I always talk about that I never let my edges change its convex curve. When I have found the perfect convex curve for just that knife and the knife serve me well – I keep just that convex curve on just that knife. That is why I innovated the bended guide rod, just to maintain my edges without any change at the entire convex curve.

If I maintain my edges by free hand, they WILL change. I did that for 40 years and I know what happen to my edges, and why. The bended guide rod was the answer for that problem. My convex edges have been in use now for 10 years – and they are still exactly the same, the convex curve have not change.

Thomas

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.314 seconds.   Total Queries: 166   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 13:27.00