thumb_1405723916-IMG_1451.jpg
thumb_1405631397-6.JPG
thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
thumb_1403803806-1.JPG
Current Quote
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
"
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
297 Online Now
8 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 289 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Miyabi 600S vs. Miyabi 600D        (Topic#884863)
    UD_Floyd
    08-29-10 17:22.09 - Post#2202861    

This may be kind of an elementary question for this forum, but is there a major difference between the Miyabi 600S and the Miyabi 600D (Fusion) lines? (apologies if this has been covered in a different thread, I've been looking for a couple hours and didn't see it).

My main reason for asking is I think i've finally decided to purchase a Miyabi and can get an 8" 600S gyutoh for about $45 less than buying a 600D at Sur la Table (sorry don't know the mm so I used in, me and the metric system are not friends).

I know the 600D is a relatively new line (I believe exclusive to SLT), so I can't find a ton of info on the googles and such (besides Gator's extensive review, nice). Is the D just an exclusive line for SLT that is a slight upgrade to the S line? Or are there significant differences in quality and construction?

I'm just an amateur home cook looking for a decent knife and liked the Miyabi 600D the best after trying about 10 knives at SLT, and I want to be sure I'm not sacrificing much if I go with the cheaper 600S. But I have no problem paying extra for the 600D as long as it's worth it.

Hope that all made sense and I appreciate any help.

C9
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-29-10 17:24.03 - Post#2202863    

In response to UD_Floyd

The 600s is German steel ~56 HRC(?), the 600d is 60 HRC VG-10 damascus. Pretty significant if you ask me.

unkajonet
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-29-10 17:41.07 - Post#2202871    

In response to C9

Out of curiosity, what were the other knives that you tried? And if you have made up your mind on the 600 series, you can probably find it for less someplace else.

TDj
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-29-10 23:26.05 - Post#2202929    

In response to unkajonet

so, it seems to me that they are of similar profile/handle, but there's a difference in blade material. if this is the only difference, then i think your decision to get one or the other should depend on how you will approach you new knife. in a few months (depending on frequency of use), both blades with be dull - that's a fact of life. As far as I know - I could be wrong - there's no sharpening service from henckels for this knife. So, if a honing rod is your only maintenance, then go for the softer-steel one. if you plan on sending it out to get sharpened by someone who uses water stones (e.g. jks) or picking up some sharpening stones, then go for the vg-10. Or, if you really like damascus, then just get what you like - the increase in happiness each time you look at your knife will be worth the $$.

UD_Floyd
    08-30-10 15:27.16 - Post#2203521    

In response to TDj

thanks for the input all. i'm pretty green in this area and this honestly will be the first quality knife i own. so i consider it a significant purchase, which means i will over analyze it to death before i pull the trigger

c9 - the difference in the steel you noted is exactly what i wasn't sure of. based on the other sites i went to i couldn't really decipher whether or not the 600S was vg-10. i figured that would be the main difference but just wanted to be sure.

as for the other knives i tried, i went through a good number of SLT's stock of 7-9" chef and santokus: shun (3 different handle styles), miyabi santoku, wusthof ikon and classic, and global. based on some things i read i was looking forward to trying the 8" global chefs but i was surprised at how light it felt. i know the asian knives are supposed to be a little more delicate but it felt too light to me. i wish i was more knowledgeable and could articulate why i liked the miyabi 8" better, but all i can say is it just felt the best in my hand (granted i only chopped for about 10-20 seconds at a time with each one).

i'm leaning towards spending the extra $, but on to maintenance. yes, i am a little worried about keeping it sharp but i always take care of things, so whether i do it or take it somewhere it'll be kept up. i definitely want to be able to sharpen it myself but until i master this, is this the type of knife i can trust to my local knife shop? i know these don't have your typical edge but a professional should be familiar with this style and be able to handle, correct? the shop i've been to before is frequented by a lot of chefs and culinary students and they sell a lot of asian style knives, so i'm hoping it's no trouble for them to do it correctly.

almost finished; one more question (kind of a dumb one). how easy (or hard) is it for a novice like me to completely mess up this knife by using poor technique to sharpen? are we talking potential to completely ruin it or are these pretty resilient? i'd prefer to just teach myself how to maintain it but i don't want to completely ruin it either.

again, thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

C9
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-30-10 15:34.19 - Post#2203531    

In response to UD_Floyd

You're not going to kill off the knife with poor sharpening.

There are a few unusual knives, like super thin knives where you can kill off their advantage of being thin near the edge rather quickly, and single bevel knives with their hollow back, or certain brittle knives that can end up with huge chips if taken to too coarse of a stone. Rest assured, the Henckels knife is far too average and normal to be considered one of these odd exceptions. The worst you will do it kill off some of its life a little too quickly and marginally reduce its performance with continued maltreatment and repair.

If the knife makes you happy, get it. I don't think its inferior overall compared to any of the other knives you tried, and if it stands out and makes you happy, its worth the extra cash.

unkajonet
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-30-10 16:46.39 - Post#2203564    

In response to C9

Miyabi has a 700 series now, if you're interested in doing more contrast/compare torture sessions (it's a good torture). I saw that CKTG has the 700 series in stock.

IMO, euro knives do with weight and strength what j-knives do with precision and agility (very rough analogy). They both get the job done, and done well; it's all in how you want to approach the task.

Other than SLT, is there a fine cutlery store near to where you live? If there is, I would say make the trip and see what some of the other knives can do. I found the SLT near to where I live to be severely limited in the breadth of what they had to offer. This is the time when you're supposed to be sweating out the decision of your first major upgrade. Enjoy the process.

tk59
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-30-10 16:53.46 - Post#2203567    

In response to UD_Floyd

If the steel is different as C9 says it is, I'd go for the 600D even though I don't particularly like the way it looks. I tried it out for Gator's passaround and I was impressed at the quality and performance at that price.

kinfefan
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-31-10 13:00.10 - Post#2204157    

In response to tk59

• tk59 Said:
    If the steel is different as C9 says it is, I'd go for the 600D even though I don't particularly like the way it looks. I tried it out for Gator's passaround and I was impressed at the quality and performance at that price.

I haven't used the 600S or 600D, but have one 'Twin Hocho'. In Japan, Henckels has been selling this line for a while. It has a 3 layer blade with a core of microcarbide steel of HRC63 (SG2?) and the very same handle of the 600 line.

http://www.zwilling.jp/products/zwi...

Based on my experience with this baby, some Miyabis and from what I've seen of the 600S & 600D, I'd put it that way:

Although the 600D is marketed as Fusion, the 600S is the real 'fusion' knife, as this basically is a Japanese Gyutoh made of German steel. I haven't handled the 600S, but used their 5000S line for a while, which has a similar concept of 'Japanese blade' with German steel. Actually I liked the blade. It was very thin and held the edge well for a German steel. I wasn't 100% comfortable with the handle. But this issue is sufficiently addressed with the 600S. Thus the 600S IMO makes a good entry level knife for those who want to move from German to Japanese knives, but appreciate ease of sharpening and maintenance of the 'Germans'.

The 600D is more Japanese in a way that it uses Japanese steel. It's more expensive too, but with harder steel, a more flashy look and the Damascus, it'd say it's a better value than the 600S. Sharpening is a bit more of an issue here, but if you don't want to start using whetstones, SLT is selling a tungsten carbide steel (although not really cheap...) for the 600D.

Mike

HBui39
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-31-10 20:26.22 - Post#2204346    

In response to tk59

i have the 600D, it gets quite sharp for VG10 and it is a workhorse and surprisingly stain resistant. i worked at a restaurant that had no side towels other than in a sanitation bucket, so i used that to wipe down my knife and put it away wet i got home and washed it properly and it was fine. i've had vg10 and vg5 knives rust or stain from that.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.263 seconds.   Total Queries: 168   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 23:27.45