thumb_1406138951-1.JPG
thumb_1405723916-IMG_1451.jpg
thumb_1405631397-6.JPG
thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
Current Quote
"The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do.
"
~ -John Holt
381 Online Now
22 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 359 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 5 1234>
    Username Post: Puukko Pics Wanted        (Topic#883833)
    DLTTradingCompany
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-13-10 06:07.57 - Post#2191324    

As many of you may know, DLT Trading, has commissioned Mike & Crew @ Bark River to build a great series of scandi grind knives. We will be starting with Puukkos.

I have some ideas on handles and am looking for more inspiration and as such, I'm asking for pictures of some great looking Puukkos you own or you have seen. Also, what do you look for & what do you like about the Puukko? What makes it special to you?

I can say we are very excited about making this legendary knife and look forward to your input.

Thank you,

Jason
    www.DLTTrading.com

Allmi
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-13-10 06:38.34 - Post#2191349    

In response to DLTTradingCompany

Hi Folks!

You are planning a veeeery interesting project there , so here are my two cents:

IMHO a puukko shouldn't have a finger guard, should be of handy size (i prefer a blade length of around 8 to 9 cm), laminated blade, preferably carbon steel, wooden handle (stabilized would be fine, too) and kind of tradtional scandi look overall. That's all it needs for me. And that's just my personal opinion.

This is my latest and i tried to get as close as i could to my "ideal" Puukko!

I'm really looking forward to the evolution of this project!

Cheers and you all have a good time!
    Harald
    Things are not always quiet the way they seem

Edited by Allmi on 08-13-10 06:43.31. Reason for edit: No reason given.

DLTTradingCompany
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-13-10 07:28.39 - Post#2191395    

In response to Allmi

That is a fine looking specimen! Thank you for your input!

Rich S
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-13-10 07:42.27 - Post#2191404    

Jason -

I've collected over 300 puukko; mostly vintage, some modern. See them at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rsblade/...

Should also add to the above criteria, that the knives should be reasonably priced. It seems that US made knives are much more expensive than knives of equal or better quality from Finland and the other Nordic countries. Just my observation and opinion.

Rich S

Edited by Rich S on 08-13-10 07:44.18. Reason for edit: No reason given.

DLTTradingCompany
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-13-10 08:14.15 - Post#2191419    

In response to Rich S

Very, very nice collection!

Rich S
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-13-10 08:49.47 - Post#2191442    

Here are four I crafted (among many others). I use both dangler sheaths and pouch sheaths (that's a matter of personal preference depends on where I'm going and doing - one pouch sheath can be used for several knives; one at a time of course :-).

puukko 1 is a Lauri Progression Tempered blade
    http://home.earthlink.net/~steinpic...

puukko 2 is a Helle laminated blade (I reground the back for more taper)

puukko 3 is a Brusletto high carbon stainless blade

puukko 4 is a Polar blade

Of the commercial Nordic knives IMHO, the Jarvenpaa Aito, Roselli Carpenter (hate their sheath), most any Tommi and the Ahti Metsa and Juhla are about as close to perfection as any commercial knives around.

Just some more examples to think about.
    Rich S

------------------------- ------------------------- -----
    Richard Stein, PhD
    Old Puukkophile
    NKCA Life Member

Nordic Knife Links & Knives:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rsblade/...

Ridgerunner6
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-13-10 20:43.35 - Post#2191852    

I know it's not a puukko but it's a knife that I really like the looks of, and the lines and shape are close enough to a Lauri PT blade to suit me. I'll second Rich S. on the Lauri blades! My 2 cents on the blade length are for one around 4.25 to 4.375 inch. Nothing shorter than 4 inches please. I really like my Lauri 95mm and my Helle Odel but they leave me wanting for just a little more reach.

Attachment

puukkopekka
    08-13-10 21:43.31 - Post#2191863    

''As many of you may know, DLT Trading, has commissioned Mike & Crew @ Bark River to build a great series of scandi grind knives. We will be starting with Puukkos.

I have some ideas on handles and am looking for more inspiration and as such, I'm asking for pictures of some great looking Puukkos you own or you have seen. Also, what do you look for & what do you like about the Puukko? What makes it special to you?

I can say we are very excited about making this legendary knife and look forward to your input.

Thank you,

Jason
    www.DLTTrading.com ''

Dear Sir

I hope You understand the difference between the puukko and other knives made in Finland or in other countries.
    I'm sad to say that people do not know what is different about puukko and other Scandianavian desing, even in Finland.

First. Blade; in the blade of the puukko, that 'corner' between those two grinds is ALWAYS higher than the middle of blade. In other Scandianavian models it is lower and closer to the edge. Basically puukko blade does not have a ricasso (yes, some old Kauhava models and Rautalampi-model has, but those were exceptions). The back of the blade is (or looks) stright.
    The cross section of the blade is 'diamond' style.
    In the puukko blade, the angle of the cutting edge is less than 22 degrees.

second. Handle; there is no guard, no pommel etc. handle is traditionally made of one material + mountings. The cross section of the handle is more like egg. Handle desing is very simple, too.

and third. Sheath; Almost 99% procent of puukko's sheaths have a back sewing, there is always a wooden part inside of the sheath (blade section) to protect the blade and the puukko owner.

If You have a possibility to look at traditional puukko models (I do not mean some commercial models) like tommi-puukko, harman-puukko, kokemaen-puukko, toijalan-puukko, pekanpaa-puukko, You will soon find those things. Decorations change, but the basic puukko model is similar.

Why that desing ? Because puukko is always 'a multi-tool'. If it is made for just hunting, or fishing or other specific work, it is not a puukko anymore, then it is 'a hunting knife with some puukko style parts'

That doesn't mean that other Scandinavian models are not good, no way. They just are not puukkos, if You are interested about puukko desing and model.

In Finnish language we have two words for a knife.
    Puukko translates as a 'puukko-knife'
    and veitsi translates as a 'knife'. They are not synonymes.

As I have said a long time ago:
    'every puukko is a knife, but every knife is not a puukko'

Take care !

Pekka
    www.puukkopekka.com

Michiel Vanhoudt
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-13-10 23:38.03 - Post#2191895    

In response to puukkopekka

Here we go:

Aito Puukko:

Jukka Hankala Tommi

The cross section of this blade is like a rhombus, but the spine is rounded. It's very nice for woodworking.

Jukka Hankala Lastu

Same cross section as the Tommi

More pics from Jukka:

http://www.hankala.com/englanti/gal...

Joonas Kallioniemi (Finland)

Pic is courtesy of Joonas.

Helle Harding (Norway)

Jakob Nylund (Finland, but his knives are more like Swedish knives)

Jakob Nylund Inferno (my name for it)

Roselli Carpenter (Finland)

The sheath really has to be Scandinavian or Finnish for me. it would complete the knife. At the moment I'm more into Finnish knives and I would really like a good puukko or a tommi. All these are mine, except the knife by Joonas Kalliomieni. I ordered one like that and it should be here in a few weeks.

If you want more info, or questions feel free to PM me.
    Michiel

MIKE #506

My Blog

Facebook

Neoclassic
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-14-10 03:45.48 - Post#2191995    

In response to Michiel Vanhoudt

Fantastic collection. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 5 1234>
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.355 seconds.   Total Queries: 169   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 15:51.38