thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
thumb_1403803806-1.JPG
Current Quote
"There never was a good knife made of bad steel."
~ Benjamin Franklin
228 Online Now
13 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 215 guests are online now.
    Username Post: TDj's Humble Beginnings        (Topic#865824)
    TDj
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-01-09 01:28.23 - Post#1993745    

I figured it was time to start one of these (the very small file size had dissuaded me for a while because all of my pics were huge). First up is my main go-to knife: 240mm Suisin Inox 'Honyaki' Wa-gyuto with Custom Stefan Keller Handle mounted by Dave at JKS. The handle is composed of stabilized tulipwood (from Bell Forest, dried at home in EtOH, stabilized by WSSI), honey buffalo horn spacer (with dark streaks), and black buffalo horn ferrule (with blonde streaks). Although the tulipwood's color is fairly dark, it is NOT dyed - that's just how it looks! The last pic shows the excellent job that Dave did when he mounted the handle.

Attachment

12-01-09 05:34.27 - Post#1993875    

In response to TDj

Hey,

Great looking knife. The handles looks awesome on that knife. I wish my "humble beginnings" looked like that haha.

-Chuck

TDj
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-07-09 12:06.26 - Post#1999153    

In response to TDj

Next up is "the one that got away". Simply put: I wanted an angled petty, but I didn't want a Shun. Thus, I contacted Butch Harner, and he was happy to make a custom knife based on the 6" Alton's Angle Shun with a few blade shape changes that I wanted. Butch is indeed a magician (perhaps "sorcerer" would be more accurate) and was an absolute pleasure to deal with. The result was this stainless CPM154 beauty that I had to sell recently (which broke my heart). The handle was stabilized Hawaiian Pheasant Wood (from Tomsheart on eBay) with a black liner; Butch crafted the scales into a D-shape. Fit and finish of this knife were absolutely phenomenal, which should definitely make other knife-makers sweat a little because his products are so polished. To be honest, I'm not sure why more people don't rave about his small[er] knives ... FWIW, I still have the "blueprint" for this knife in case anyone else wants one of these angled Butch petties.

Attachment

watercrawl
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-07-09 14:35.27 - Post#1999287    

In response to TDj

Nice!!
    Adam

www.marrknives.com

Marr Knives on FB

edredlee
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    12-08-09 08:32.24 - Post#1999922    

In response to TDj

as i purchased this harner petty, i feel that i owe to everyone for a review of this knife.

first, i want to say that the craftsmanship of the knife is top notch. everything except the edge has smooth edges and is a real joy to use thruout the day at work.

i've only touched up the knife on the chosera 10k so i can't go too into how the knife sharpens but on the 10k it touches up nicely without a fuss to a real fine sharpness.

at 160mm, this is a hefty knife. rigid blade, hungky wood handles. not something i usually look for in my work knives.
    (almost all knives of mine are wa handles)
    but it feels good. it is extremely comfortable to use over time and the knuckle clearance due to the angle of the handle makes it feel like more of a small gyuto despite its' petty like blade shape.

this knife excels at covering all petty task and small gyuto tasks(i'd say up to 210 length). one exception is that due to the shape of the tip, it's not ideal for coring small onions and the like. at the moment, this knife has taken on all those tasks my other arsenal of knives were doing by itself and i haven't missed the others yet.

this knife has made me want more of this steel(cpm154) and many more from mr. harner himself.
    thanks again for the opportunity.

ed lee

TDj
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-08-09 09:13.27 - Post#1999958    

In response to edredlee

Thanks for that review! CPM154 from what I understand is a pretty 'tough' steel - I originally got this knife to address small tasks as well as tasks that I might have been too afraid to attack with my Suisin (pictured above; although I'm really trying to stop babying it). A contender for this role before I decided on Butch was an Aritsugu A-type (but those were too short). It'll be interesting to compare how it stands up to your use versus its ease/difficulty of sharpening. May it serve you well.

edredlee
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    12-08-09 10:45.23 - Post#2000032    

In response to TDj

thank you.

i have the same knife (suisin inox honyaki 270mm) and she's gone thru quite a bit. this knife definitely doesn't need to be babied at all. the only task i don't do with this knife (not that it can't, i just don't) is rock-chopping..i.e. garlic, onions etc. lovely handle on yours btw!

TDj
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    12-21-09 16:23.10 - Post#2012575    

In response to edredlee

I decided to post the 'blueprint' for the angled petty that Butch used when he made it ... just in case some other people desire something similar. The .pdf I had was too large - if you want that, just PT me.

Attachment

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.298 seconds.   Total Queries: 137   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 18:57.14