KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
Username Post: Ike Jime, fish butchery        (Topic#862388)
DwarvenChef
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-14-09 09:05.49 - Post#1957277    

In my searches for fish knives and such I kept comming across this name, Ike Jime, Well it finaly hit me what it was as I read THIS BLOG on a test of killing fish.

Just thought I'd toss this out there and see what others have experienced. As I'm getting back into fishing, I wanted to do the most I could to keep my fish in the best posable condition the longest.

So I'd like to see more links and or testamonials of what others have tried.

Blog #1
Blog #2
Blog #3 is the above link...
Blog #4
Hiromoto AS Addict

"Thats not a stain you fool, it's Patina

Edited by DwarvenChef on 10-14-09 09:10.13. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JBroida
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-14-09 09:25.42 - Post#1957291    

In response to DwarvenChef

i have always bled out fish in the "japanese way"... but when i was working in japan, one of the coolest things we did was cook ayu (sweet river fish). The fishermen would bring bags of the fish (alive and in fresh water) to the restaurant in the morning. We would ice them down for an extended period of time... then skewer them while they were alive and cook them before they had a chance to wake up... just a little salt flicked at them and rubbed on their fins was all they needed (the salt on the fins helps maintain the shape while they are cooking). It looked kind of like this-

Japanese Knife Imports
High-end, hand-crafted Japanese kitchen knives
JKI Blog
On Facebook

DwarvenChef
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-14-09 09:33.03 - Post#1957295    

In response to JBroida

Been reading alot about Sweet Fish, very poular fish there Do they cook the fish whole? I never quite understood the procedure...
Hiromoto AS Addict

"Thats not a stain you fool, it's Patina

JBroida
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-14-09 10:01.34 - Post#1957321    

yeah... the fish are cooked whole... not even gutted. We would ice down the fish until they were comatose... then skewer them in the curvy shape as if they were swimming... rub salt on their fins to help them retain shape... flick salt on their bodies for flavor... and them put them over an open fire until they were cooked... very tasty little fish.

We did similar things to a fish from the japan sea called hatta hatta
Japanese Knife Imports
High-end, hand-crafted Japanese kitchen knives
JKI Blog
On Facebook

umamiman
Journeyman KnifeNut!
10-14-09 11:17.46 - Post#1957384    

In response to JBroida

Very nice. Well I'm off to the hardware store to get some wire and headed to the ocean..... see whats biting!
Cheers
--Drew

SouthernCross
Banned USER
10-14-09 13:11.42 - Post#1957480    

I always practice Ike Jimi on fish destined for the table.

Once dead, I bleed them and immediately put them in an ice slurry.

It really does make a difference to the taste

Kind regards
Mick

Attachment

"There's more than one way to skin a cat"

Kentucky Jeff
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-14-09 14:40.26 - Post#1957558    

In response to SouthernCross

OK, I just finished reading the thread and have a few comments.

First, who the hell sits around and thought up the idea of sticking a needle up a fish's spine? I mean really? How that practice got its start is more interesting to me than the whole difference in taste/quality discussion which admittedly is interesting in and of itself.

Second, there are food geeks and then there are food GEEKS! I mean, calling fricking Harold McGee to discuss Japanese fish bleeding techniques? Holy Crap!

Third, I'm a food geek and enjoyed the whole thing.

umamiman
Journeyman KnifeNut!
10-14-09 15:16.51 - Post#1957583    

In response to Kentucky Jeff

• Kentucky Jeff Said:

Third, I'm a food geek and enjoyed the whole thing.

How true.....

Unsuccessful fishing tonight, trying again tomorrow hopefully.
Cheers
--Drew

Loup Garou
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-14-09 17:05.41 - Post#1957647    

Here is a commercial guide on how to prepare and handle tuna: www.spc.int/Coastfish/Fishing/Sas hi...

This is a critique on that guide: http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/f... mainly saying you shouldn’t ice the fish until the nerves are all dead. Tuna are warm-blooded to an extent so shouldn’t be iced or they shiver. Icing white-fleshed fish immediately after capture is good though. I’ve also heard (on a documentary about a cobia fish farm) cobia shouldn’t be iced immediately. They should be kept below 10 degrees for a long time.

I (think) Ike Jime literally translates to brain spike, and then they can pass wire or monofilament down the spinal canal to kill the nerves down the body.

This is a very comprehensive post on why: http://www.thehulltruth.com/1978028...

In fishing circles what they tell people to do (concerning Ike Jime) is sever the hindbrain, which causes the gill rakers and fins to flutter, makes the muscle spasm, and blood contracts towards the vital organs and brain. This is what most fishermen perceive Ike Jime as being, and the word probably actually translates as spiking the brain. However, the convulsions persist after death and rigor mortis is not delayed as much as it could be. I attached a gif on where the hindbrain is located. Don’t know if those Japanese people in the blog are specifically targeting the hindbrain with the deba. For tuna they poke a hole in the soft spot on the anterior part of the head, then feed the wire or mono through. The first time I saw footage of people hammering a tube into a tuna skull, I had no idea what they were doing.

The ‘bloodline’ underneath the spine of the fish is actually the kidneys, so the correct way to bleed is to sever the gill arches, behind the lateral line, and also the lateral line at the tail of the fish. I wouldn’t mess with the tail personally for white-fleshed fish because it makes handling and scaling more difficult.

This is a photographic guide on how to make all the cuts: http://www.nzgamefishing.com/go2/lo...

Attachment

Loup Garou
Master Member KnifeNut!
10-14-09 17:08.32 - Post#1957648    

This part of the blog talks about CO2: http://cookingissues.wordpress.com/...

However, this PPT: www.smartaqua.com.au/presdocs/rspca... says CO2 can cause ‘gaping’ (in the fillet).

It also says Ike Jime (simple brain spiking probably to the forebrain) is associated with strong muscular twitching after death.

They like resting and electricity I think.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.092 seconds.   Total Queries: 185   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 10:04.01