thumb_1412800724-1.JPG
thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
thumb_1411961722-374934_2397988276894_1877393445_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1411889958-Summers_131026_-_Copy__617x800_.jpg
thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
Current Quote
"The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do.
"
~ -John Holt
264 Online Now
30 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 234 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: Help me identify my Solingen knives        (Topic#856675)
    DickOverfrick
    07-20-09 04:42.24 - Post#1892867    

Those are my Solingen knives. My grandpa leave them to me... They all says Made In Germany. The first one says Bowie and I recognized it as a Bowie knife, the second have some kind of map and third one is Hitler jugend like just without a swastika. From which year they are and I am just wondering myself how much they worth? (i wont sell them)
    Thank you!

Attachment

wstwood
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-22-09 04:55.17 - Post#1894501    

In response to DickOverfrick

that map might lead to a fortune!
    "When all other rights have been taken away, the right of rebellion is made perfect."

Thomas Paine.

brianWE
    07-22-09 06:30.00 - Post#1894588    

In response to wstwood

Guessing the "bowie" is from around the 50s or 60s.
    Germany did a lot of "Original Bowies", then...many variations.
    The Hitler J knife looks like a post WW2 item.
    I believe they were sold in South Africa as Scout Knives.
    Maybe in Europe, too.
    But I could be mis-remembering.

I don't think collector value would be very high on any of them.
    Brian W Edginton
    Please don't attack me for what you read between the lines of my posts.
    I didn't write it...you did.

Blade21
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-01-09 09:24.13 - Post#1903106    

In response to brianWE

Yup, the 3rd is just a regular scout knife. Nothing special. I bough one in the 70's in the Netherlands. Very small handle. It is the same knife as the Hitler Jugend knife. They just changed the logo on it.
    Greetz, Twan

topali
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-09-09 07:42.27 - Post#1909322    

In response to wstwood

This is the map:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&...
    WHO DARES WINS

C4
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-11-09 08:01.35 - Post#1911161    

In response to Blade21

This is a knife a friend's father brought back from WW II in 1945. Is this a J knife? I know nothing about it... any info would be appreciated!! Many thanks, Michael

Attachment

He who has smelt the smoke is never free again...

brianWE
    08-11-09 11:32.13 - Post#1911337    

In response to C4

Well, the pattern is the Hitler Jugend (Youth) knife.
    But the swastika on the handle is missing.
    Not to mention that the stamp says "Germany"...in English.
    In my experience, that suggests it was made for export AFTER WW2.
    Finding one in Germany while Germany's production capacity was still in shambles seems odd, to me.
    Brian W Edginton

brianWE
    08-12-09 11:55.51 - Post#1912325    

In response to brianWE

Been doing some research...part of the stamp seems to say "G C Co"
    That was a mark used by the American importer, Gutmann Cutlery.
    I am not sure, but I doubt they were importing from Germany as early as 1945.

OOPS!
    According to Levine's Guide, Gutmann started up in 1947.
    Brian W Edginton

Edited by brian w edginton on 08-12-09 12:02.04. Reason for edit: addendum

C4
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-13-09 12:36.01 - Post#1913316    

In response to brianWE

Brian,
    Thanks for your input. I have learned more in 50 hours than my friend did in 50 years!!! Below, is my email to a friend of a knife-maker friend, who wrote me back about the knife in question. (I have deleted the names to protect the innocent... just like on Dragnet javascript:void(0) ). The owner is SURE it came home with her dad in 1945...???? And to your credit it DOES have the markings "G.C.Co": I wasn't sure about the "Co" part until I read your post. Again, many thanks, Michael

Copy of my reply (and of original email" from a friend of a friend:
    _____,
    Many Thanks!!! I posted the same pics on Kinfeforums and got some info. The woman who owns the knife swears that it was with a "bunch of stuff" that her dad brought home from Germany after WW II. The only other thing she has left from this "stuff" is an Iron Cross medal with "1813" on one side and "1939 and the swastika" on the other. She is going to look for some discharge papers or anything else that would prove that the knife is from '45 or earlier, but for right now all I have is the Iron Cross that was brought back at the same time. If you have a minute, please take a look at the posts on KF and let me know what you think! (Personally, I believe that she believes that the knife came home with her father in 1945..... Would throwing in the Iron Cross improve the value of the knife as a "package deal" or do you think she would do better selling them separately?????

Again, many thanks for the info and the work you did in collecting it,
    Michael

On Aug 11, 2009, at 5:55 PM, _______@aol.com wrote:

Mike........._____ _____ sent me an e-mail requesting info on a Hitler Youth Knife. I hope this is useful to you. I'm not an expert, but have a little knowledge about these items, or at least an idea of where to go to get the info. Sorry I couldn't give you better news on the value.................____ __________

______:

What you have here is a Hitler Youth Knife (Hitler Jugend/HJ). It has been "De-Nazified" (the diamond shaped swastika HJ symbol has been removed from the grip), and this reduces the collector value considerably. I didn't see any "RZM" acceptance marks (the military acceptance mark for everything the German Military used during this era), HJ Motto (Blut und Ehre!) or manufacturers date on the blade, so this could be a cheaper private purchase, or a late war knife. In better condition, with the HJ symbol and motto, it could be worth somewhere between $800 and $1,000+. Unfortunately this isn't the case. My guess would be about $300, maybe a little more with luck. If there is government paperwork to connect the knife to the vet, that would increase the value a little. Hope this was helpful. If _____ were still around, he could give you a much better estimate than me. Just so you know, I did a little bit of research to come up with this info, so it wasn't all guess work. Talk to you soon..........................._______y
    He who has smelt the smoke is never free again...

brianWE
    08-13-09 13:06.21 - Post#1913364    

In response to C4

No worries.
    But the Gutmann mark does confuse the issue.
    As far as I can tell, they were not in business in 1945.
    So does the "Germany" in English. The Nazis would, never, have issued a knife with English markings to organizations. It was made for export to English speaking markets. Some, including the US, demand the country of origin to be marked...in English, I imagine.

The HJ pattern knife continued in production as "Scout knives" for quite some time...into the 50s, I believe. Maybe, later.
    It is entirely possible that many of them were made from surplus Reich era parts. Or, even, unissued, complete knives. These would have had the handle badge replaced.
    I think there was one in the Mil Knives Forum quite recently. It had the Boy Scout logo as a badge. Another poster said he bought an identical knife in the Netherlands in the 60s.

Actually, I have seen several knives, on various forums, that were, supposedly WW2 relics that turned out to be of later manufacture.
    Aging vets, often have cloudy memories.
    Some, even, "gild the lily" a bit to brighten up their reminiscences .

Best of luck, though.
    Brian W Edginton

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 2.953 seconds.   Total Queries: 168   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 05:48.57