thumb_1407641097-DSC_0004_1.JPG
thumb_1407270483-1.JPG
thumb_1407160770-20140802_103713-2.jpg
thumb_1406927116-10584106_907845969229455_2121226519465794003_n.jpg
thumb_1406729690-20140720_164427.jpg
thumb_1406560141-DSC_0018.JPG
thumb_1406365749-175-Honduran-Hunter-f.jpg
Current Quote
"Vampires have their stakes and werewolves have their silver bullets, but there is nothing man has yet devised that can kill a government program."
~ Bob Krumm
290 Online Now
33 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 257 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Lapin Outdoor/Military Puukko        (Topic#855425)
    kidwholaughs
    07-02-09 04:21.09 - Post#1878917    

Hey Guys,

Thank God I that I found this forum! I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable members have experience with Lapin puukkkos. Specfically, the Outdoor 90/Military Puukko. Seen her at Ragnar's.
    http://www.ragweedforge.com/3024.jp...
    I am really attracted to this knife. The question is does any of you have it? If so, how do you like it, general likes and dislikes. How comfortable is the handle for medium sized hands?
    Was it ever confirmed that these are Lauri blades?
    Thanks a ton!

God Bless

RC1947
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-02-09 04:56.50 - Post#1878938    

In response to kidwholaughs

I can't comment on that particular knife, and I haven't seen it written by the manufacturer that they use Lauri blades, yet, at the same time, I do believe that they do use Lauris, and that alone would convince me to consider a knife I've been tempted by myself, worth owning. A fact I've come to rely upon is that Ragnar will sell no junk, and that's qualification enough to choose what appeals to me. Be sure to offer your own insights after it arrives. RC

kidwholaughs
    07-03-09 05:39.24 - Post#1879940    

In response to RC1947

• RC1947 Said:
    I can't comment on that particular knife, and I haven't seen it written by the manufacturer that they use Lauri blades, yet, at the same time, I do believe that they do use Lauris, and that alone would convince me to consider a knife I've been tempted by myself, worth owning. ... RC

I did email Lapin. Sure enough like you suspected, Lapin does use Lauri blades. Now this begs the next question. Is the knife "worth" 77 when I could just get the blade shipped for 20.

RC1947
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-03-09 10:11.08 - Post#1880159    

That depends upon your handle making skills, but then, that's why they make chisels, to remove something, like a handle. If you've never made a handle, you just might want to consider POLAR blades (another Finnish blade maker) since they have a ricasso, making for an easier slotting of the bolster. I'd say their blades are equal in quality to a Lauri. And then, there's a sheath to consider - $77 doesn't seem expensive for a quality knife, and you'd get to check out a nice handle and sheath if you do decide to make a knife of your own. RC

RC1947
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-03-09 10:19.46 - Post#1880166    

In response to RC1947

http://www.ragweedforge.com/wj-n.jp...

This wood jewel is a similar knife for considerably less cost. I like the design of this thing. RC

foxhunter
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-03-09 20:33.15 - Post#1880456    

In response to RC1947

looks good and sturdy. Had Lapin Puukko knives in my hands once at the shop as I was considering the Army heritage model.
    What I personally disliked with most Lapin puukkos is the tang not going through the entire handle.

However a rugged design if you do not want too much of a luxury.
    Goert.

the sharper your knife - the easier your life!

see you at the Fällkniven forum

kidwholaughs
    07-04-09 03:26.56 - Post#1880633    

In response to RC1947

• RC1947 Said:
    http://www.ragweedforge.com/wj-n.jp...

This wood jewel is a similar knife for considerably less cost. I like the design of this thing. RC

Wow, the wood jewel looks like it has a Lauri skinner blade. But with MUCH more work in the handle and sheath. I wonder what accounts for the price difference. It seems like a no brainer.

God Bless

kidwholaughs
    07-04-09 03:39.15 - Post#1880648    

In response to foxhunter

• foxhunter Said:
    l
    What I personally disliked with most Lapin puukkos is the tang not going through the entire handle.

Holy Cow, are you sure that the tang doesn't go all the way through the handle? May be it is sliver braised to the butt plate. Otherwise, that would be a flaw in the construction.

God Bless

monkeyboy
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-04-09 05:25.24 - Post#1880706    

i have a Kero skinner. same as the Lapin. excellent knife and real sharp outta the box. yipe.LOL
    sliced my finger.
    nice reindeer butt and masur birch handle.
    full tang too,peined with a brass ring
    $50. can't beat that.
    go for it.
    buzz
    the universe in a drop of water

monkeyboy
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-04-09 05:41.45 - Post#1880718    

In response to monkeyboy

this is the knife ,only mine has a nicer figured birch.
    i paid $50 at The Northener two years ago.
    $114 now .
    it's the Lauri skinner blade threw tang
    buzz

i think i'd make my own if i were you.
    good way to become familiar with your gear and what a sense of accomplishment when you make your own. RC and Goert and Mike will testify ,eh?

$15 bucks for the blade from Ben's backwoods and i'm sure you can get some cool wood from a forum member. eh?

Attachment

RC1947
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-04-09 06:07.19 - Post#1880739    

In response to monkeyboy

Nice knife, Buzz

"...a flaw in the construction."(?) I don't think so, RC

RC1947
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-04-09 06:16.11 - Post#1880747    

In response to RC1947

kidwholaughs
    07-04-09 06:19.20 - Post#1880749    

In response to monkeyboy

MB, That knife is really cool. I am surprised how prices have shot up so much in the past 2 years. I am not the best person for making handles. I have a Lauri PT blade that is on it's second handle. It seems that I just can't seem to get the handle the way I want it. There are always hot spots on the handles that I make.

RC, I thought that having a tang that does not run back to the butt cap will be weaker than having the tang braised onto the butt cap.

God Bless

RC1947
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-04-09 07:08.35 - Post#1880785    

When shaping a handle use your hand as a guide, it won't lie. Some superb knives have short tangs, and when built right, number one, we'd never know how short the tang is, and the knife will not let you down. In other words, it's not a concern how long the tang is - most of the stress is where the blade meets the handle, not 2 - 3" back into the handle. For reference, check out a Brusletto Hunter blade, and then check the finished knife. The aluminum bolster is hollow, and so, there's only about 1" of the tang into the wood. I own one, and I can assure you that you cannot break that knife. Other, long time, builders here do very few tang-thru builds; it's not necessary. I build some, like the one shown, tang-thru, but it's only for the challenge it presents, and for aesthetics. I've never heard of a tang breaking somewhere in the handle, especially a Scandi, and furthermore, I don't believe Ragnar would consider selling knives that would fail under hard use, and if anyone knows knives, he does. When getting into contouring handles, I feel that to purchase a few Scandis is a worthy study in handle design, informing me of what works, and why. Ask SporK, he's quite good at handle design, and if he'll post some pics for you to study, you'll learn something. RC

foxhunter
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-05-09 02:32.26 - Post#1881220    

• kidwholaughs Said:
    • foxhunter Said:

Holy Cow, are you sure that the tang doesn't go all the way through the handle? May be it is sliver braised to the butt plate. Otherwise, that would be a flaw in the construction.

God Bless

Some don´t.
    With this pommel buttplate I am not defintively sure however.
    Finally the fac tthat some of their models don´t feature full length tangs made me stay off from purchasing one and discover later.
    Goert.

the sharper your knife - the easier your life!

see you at the Fällkniven forum

rybak
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    07-07-09 06:35.01 - Post#1882974    

I don't know this Military Lapin Puukko, but had some Lapins - no more now - and the best one was for me the "hunter knife", at ragweed forge #3029, this one:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/3029.jp...

The edge holding had really knocked me out.

It has also very comfortable handle, but the blade was "the" amazing part.
    SOSAK Member

------------------------- ----------
    Nicht aufregen.

Denke nur mal darüber nach, wie kurz du lebst - und wie lange du tot bist...

kidwholaughs
    07-08-09 01:39.48 - Post#1883597    

In response to foxhunter

Alright guy, I emailed Lapin again. It seems that this knife's tang is not connected to the butt plate like I had hoped. It only runs about 10 cm in to the handle and "special glued in". I am guessing epoxy.

Honestly, I have never had a fixed blade with a hidden tang. For cutting purposes, I don't think there will be a difference. However, I take comfort in knowing that a knife can take a little more abuse should I really need it to do so.

What do you guys think? Thanks

God Bless

monkeyboy
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-08-09 06:32.30 - Post#1883848    

RC has probably built more puukos ..
    i'd trust his judgement on this one.
    i like to have the tang long on some builds but it can be a pain when sizing the handle and doing the glue up.
    i've even thought about spot welding a stick on some of the shorter tangs but it really is not necessary
    buzz
    check Goert's tutorial on fitting the tang end into antler. excellent work

the last few knives i've made have the tang out the butt end. i either grind it off or glue a nut onto it.

Attachment

Edited by monkeyboy on 07-08-09 06:38.21. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RC1947
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-08-09 07:01.38 - Post#1883867    

In response to monkeyboy

It all boils down to what you want. Some folks aren't happy with anything buy a full tang, while others are pleased regardless of the building details, so long as a knife works for its intended purpose. You're picking nits. RC

kidwholaughs
    07-09-09 03:00.05 - Post#1884542    

In response to RC1947

I guess you are right. Some of our kitchen knives have very narrow and short tangs. But we used them for some heavy duty stuff daily for 15 years before the rusting in the handle that killed it.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.364 seconds.   Total Queries: 297   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 15:58.25