KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1490310452-IMG_20170323_125412.jpg
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
Username Post: Mirror, Mirror, On the wall....        (Topic#850731)
Terrill Hoffman
Master Member KnifeNut!
04-28-09 07:53.23 - Post#1827207    

Who's the fairest.....
No fairy tale but a little report on signal mirrors. Prior to the beginning of PWYP, a few of us decided to try out some of those signal mirros we all carry. I had located a spot 3 1/2 miles (as the crow flies and by GPS reading) away from where we are building the house which gave us a clear line of sight and that was our test course. Sgt. Mike would signal from the house and Brian was his radio man. Landy and I would sit on the distance ridge and judge the brightness of each mirror.
We had seven mirrors to play with and covered those we all carry rather well.
1. Adventure Medical Rescue Flash
2. Adventure Medical Mini-Rescue Flash
3. TOPS Dog Tag Signal Mirror
4. Ultimate Survival Starflash Ultra
5. Hand Cut Mirror from a plastic auto mirror repair kit
6. A small mirror I think is called a Swiss Army Mirror (not to sure of the manufacturer)
7. A tin Survival Mirror I was told was an old Boy Scout model.
There is a reason I listed them in that order. They are listed brightest to dimmest. The Rescue Flash was the brightest but followed closely by it's smaller brother. The big surprise was the Dog Tag mirror coming in third. The Starflash made a fourth place showing. Number 5 & 6 were about the same and nothing to talk about. Number 7 (the metal mirror) was not worth carrying!
Our test was not made in a lab, but if you're in a lab you don't need to be saved! This and other testing are all part of an article I'm working on and I will be doing additional test but it was not meant to be an END-ALL result. It was meant to show that we need to test whatever equipment we carry before we need to depend on it. Signal mirrors usually are one of those things we get, throw in our "kits" and forget about it until we REALLY need it. Mirror 1 to 4 would have been noticed by a rescue team looking for you but I like the idea of trying to have the best! I want to round up a few more mirrors and repeat the test to confirm my findings but maybe you need to pull yours out and try it.
Terrill Hoffman Photography
www.terrillhoffman.com

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional.

Gryffin
Master Member KnifeNut!
04-28-09 08:06.50 - Post#1827224    

In response to Terrill Hoffman

And the results were.......?
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife"

SgtMike88Ret
Super Moderator
04-28-09 08:08.42 - Post#1827225    

I might as well chime in here...

From a signaler's standpoint, the easiest mirrors to utilize were BY FAR AND AWAY the two Adventure Medical mirrors. Once you found the sweet spot (a blinding dot in the center of the aiming whole, it was super easy to accurately flash the distant hill...

M

BTW - I need a new radioman next year. When I told Brian we were going to flash the other ridge, he said "Watch 'is" and dropped trou. That was not pretty... M
"By failing to prepare, you're preparing to fail." B. Franklin

We're Back! http://sgtmikessurvivalti ps.blogspo...

scaatylobo
Master Member KnifeNut!
04-28-09 08:47.04 - Post#1827261    

In response to SgtMike88Ret

• SgtMike88Ret Said:
I might as well chime in here...

From a signaler's standpoint, the easiest mirrors to utilize were BY FAR AND AWAY the two Adventure Medical mirrors. Once you found the sweet spot (a blinding dot in the center of the aiming whole, it was super easy to accurately flash the distant hill...

M

BTW - I need a new radioman next year. When I told Brian we were going to flash the other ridge, he said "Watch 'is" and dropped trou. That was not pretty... M

LOL,saw him with pants on - and that was 'nasty' in a bad way.Thanks for the mirror rundown bro's .
" A Bad Day Living,Beats A Good Day Dead"

DiverDn
Master Member KnifeNut!
04-30-09 00:04.36 - Post#1828480    

Nice list, I am interested in seeing the entire artilce when you are done.
Thanks
John

Iowa - 318 miles 11 curves

Leemann
Master Member KnifeNut!
04-30-09 17:57.12 - Post#1829357    

In response to DiverDn

Very nice list.

Lee
Bring a compass, It's awkward when you have to eat your friends...

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.099 seconds.   Total Queries: 134   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 07:37.51