thumb_1415975734-2.JPG
thumb_1415712996-1.JPG
thumb_1415574694-MVP_66bsmallerfilesize.jpg
thumb_1415159184-0004.jpg
thumb_1414982077-DSCF3235.JPG
thumb_1414779645-161120105616.jpg
thumb_1414702399-25630686-f518-4a89-b07f-7854227a9b2d.jpg
Current Quote
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter."
~ Confucius
207 Online Now
16 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 191 guests are online now.
     Page 61 of 78 « First<61626364>» Last
    Username Post: Edge pro sharpening system        (Topic#842092)
    Dieter01
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    02-07-12 00:12.03 - Post#2440272    

In response to jackknifeh

• jackknifeh Said:
    Please forgive replying to such an old post. This is my first visit here after registering. I have some info on using an Edge Pro that some may like. I've already posted it on the Spyderco forum but there seems to be EP interest here as well.

I made blocks to help hold the blade in one position when sharpening a knife that is small enough to sharpen without sliding the blade along the EP blade table. The blocks will keep the blade from pivoting back and forth when the spine is not flat enough to rest against the edge guide without pivoting.

USING EDGE GUIDE BLOCK FOR EDGE PRO SHARPENER

1. You can see how a knife blade will pivot back and forth on a part of the spine depending on the shape of the blade spine. (pictures 1 thru 3) I pictured the pivot way too much just to illustrate the pivot movement. If this pivoting occurs during the sharpening process it could result in the stone hitting the edge of the knife just a little bit different from stroke to stroke. The goal is to have the stone hit the edge exactly the same on every stroke. Since the human being (and me in particular) is prone to error I created what I call “Edge Guide Blocks” (EGB) for my Edge Pro (EP). They should hold the knife blade in the same position all the time. I only use these for blades short enough that you don’t need to slide the blade along the sharpener. I’d say 4” or less blade length.

2. This is a picture of EGBs for a few knives. (picture 5) Notice the “legs” that fit around the edge guide on the EP. These keep the block from sliding back and forth on the sharpener.

3. Here is a picture of the EGB on the EP with my knife. (picture 4) To sharpen the other side of the blade flip the knife AND EGB. I removed the white plastic piece on the guide so it would be easier to see I hope. Once you put the block on the EP you need to readjust the guide so the edge is in the right position on the blade table on the EP. Flip the EGB with the knife when sharpening opposite sides.

Additional note:
    Keep in mind that when the edge of the knife is moved further from or closer to the very edge of the blade table on the EP it changes the angle slightly that the stone will hit the edge of the blade. This change is very slight but it can be easier to picture it in your mind by thinking of moving the blade all the way down to the bottom of the table. The angle per side would be almost 90 degrees per side. So if you have your knife on the blade table with the edge ¼” off the sharpener you will be hitting the edge at a certain angle. If you then move the blade down the table so the blade edge is right at the end of the table the stone will be hitting the edge at slightly a higher angle. I don't know if it makes enough of a difference to matter. I haven’t done it yet but I’m going to find out just how big a difference it would make. This moving closer and farther away can occur when not using an EGB. With the knife pictured the tip could move further from or closer to the edge of the blade table.

Questions? Please ask. I pasted this message and pictures from the Spyderco forum so there may be some confusion with the text referencing the pictures, etc.

TO MAKE AN EDGE GUIDE BLOCK

Place the material you are going to make a block out of under the edge guide and tighten it down. The material is a square or rectangle at this point.

Mark the outline of the edge guide on the material.

Then place the knife on top of the material so the blade edge is positioned parallel with the end of the blade table (or however you want it positioned when you sharpen it). Draw the outline of the blade spine on the material.

Remove the material from the EP and cut out what was under the edge guide and what was under the knife blade.

NOTE: Paint stirrers work well because the wood is soft enough to cut out easily and strong enough to hold the blade in place during sharpening. The blocks in my pictures are made out of vinyl siding I had left over after siding our house.

One thing I didn't mention is the thickness of the blocks. The thickest they need to be is the thickness of the blade at the spine. I have lots of extra vinyl siding left over from when I vinyl sided my house and that stuff works great. It is as thin as a thin blade and if I need a block to be thicker I glue 2 or 3 pieces together before I cut the shape. If the block is too thick and you are trying to get really low angles on your edge the stone may hit the block especially right at the tip of the blade. Just cut the block away from the tip far enough that the stone doesn't hit it but leave enough to create a solid base for the blade. In the pictures I posted notice how the block is cut away from the tip of the blade on the Delica I used in the pictures.

Jack

This post on page 32 of this thread never got much attention. To see the pictures you need to click here . Anyone use something similar?

I would also like to hear if there are smart solutions to steady a blade with few wide areas. I have one blade where both the side plane and the hollow grind bevel is quite narrow, neither is really good to rest the blade on the table. Suggestions? There was one mentioning in here (that I noticed yesterday while reading through all 60 pages...) of using toothpicks. Whats your solution?

Edited by Dieter01 on 02-07-12 00:14.32. Reason for edit: No reason given.

maxtheknifeofva
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-07-12 05:06.52 - Post#2449821    

In response to MadRookie

My Pro should arrive fri. Or sat.
    Stand by
    Thanks for all your help rookie

MadRookie
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-07-12 06:19.11 - Post#2449830    

In response to maxtheknifeofva

• maxtheknifeofva Said:
    My Pro should arrive fri. Or sat.
    Stand by
    Thanks for all your help rookie

My pleasure Max - be thankful I assisted & not ytreich - he would have just kicked your a*s right down the rabbit hole - I only shoved you sorta 1/4 way....

maxtheknifeofva
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-07-12 08:51.46 - Post#2449865    

In response to MadRookie

i am kewl with it

remember ytreich does not have one of those blue things hung on his shoulder - or does he??

....<"))))><(

maxtheknifeofva
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-11-12 15:06.22 - Post#2451054    

in one word

WOW

<")))))><(

MadRookie
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-11-12 16:46.06 - Post#2451068    

Glad you like it.

joepa150
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-12-12 02:55.42 - Post#2451163    

In response to Komitadjie

What is a good stone to follow the EP 1000 stone?

MadRookie
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-12-12 03:03.09 - Post#2451166    

In response to joepa150

Depends on your ultimate edge fancy and also how high in grit you want to go....

...5k/10k/15k/30k.......

...but I love the 8k snow white in the above mix as well, as the 3k to prepare for the 5k....hate the stock EP stones......

....and NO, the EP 1k is not just as fine as the 5k Chosera.....B*llsh*t!!!

joepa150
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    03-12-12 05:11.57 - Post#2451204    

In response to MadRookie

• MadRookie Said:
    Depends on your ultimate edge fancy and also how high in grit you want to go....

...5k/10k/15k/30k.......

...but I love the 8k snow white in the above mix as well, as the 3k to prepare for the 5k....hate the stock EP stones......

....and NO, the EP 1k is not just as fine as the 5k Chosera.....B*llsh*t!!!

So after the EP1000 I could go with either the 3k Chosera or the 5k Chosera?

I am leaning towards just going to 5k since it is finer than the ep 1000.

MadRookie
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-12-12 05:53.32 - Post#2451213    

In response to joepa150

Yep, 5k is good.

Page 61 of 78 « First<61626364>» Last
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.305 seconds.   Total Queries: 166   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 18:06.24