Recent Pictures
thumb_1486949455-LeedySmall.jpg
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1486584393-2.JPG
thumb_1485997912-MVPamberstag2.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Roselli UHC        (Topic#836563)
ktparker10
11-11-08 13:46.20 - Post#1683619    

I've been looking for a good work/Hunting knife for a good while now and i checked out the Roselli UHC Hunter and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with them and if there are any pros/cons of UHC compared to normal Carbon Steel

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!

tstetz
The Puukko Prophet
11-11-08 13:56.42 - Post#1683631    

In response to ktparker10

Welcome to the forum

We have a number of Roselli fans around here so hopefully one of them can give you some insight here soon.
There are some who call me... Tim.

www.woodsmonkey.com

pierauspitz
Journeyman KnifeNut!
11-11-08 20:40.15 - Post#1683866    

In response to tstetz

Hi!

The UHC steel in a modern recreation of the revered wootz steel. Roselli worked many years to make it. T's cristalline structure makes it a wicked meat cutter :this steel is composed of tiny carbides grains held together in a matrix. This gives gives a "toothed" edge that is amazing to slice through soft materials. No the less, this steel is very very hard(62 HRC!!!), thus diamond sharpener would be good if you do not want to spend too much time sharpening, and it is somehow more brittle than standard steel (no prying with it and avoid impacts at all costs).

Well, it will really depend on what you wanna doo with it. If it's for butchering and so, it would be perfect, but in a more multipurpose, "bushcrafty" use, I would tend to go for softer standard steel, as it will be easier to sharpen on the field, and more "forgiving" for rough handeling.

My 2 cents
Pierre

Edited by pierauspitz on 11-11-08 20:42.01. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ktparker10
11-12-08 10:51.26 - Post#1684280    

In response to pierauspitz

Hey Pierre, thanks much for the answer, I've learned a bit about the Rc scale and I was wondering if since the steel is so hard that it would be brittle thanks again for the advice.

Alberta Ed
Journeyman KnifeNut!
11-13-08 11:23.40 - Post#1685113    

Haven't tried the Roselli wootz steel, but I think highly of their standard high carbon -- W75 Krupp steel, I believe. Very tough, easy to hone, takes and holds a frighteningly sharp edge. I have both the carpenter and the erapuukko (hunting) models. Roselli's sheaths suck, however... keep the plastic liner and use the original as a pattern to make a new one in heavier leather.

Edited by Alberta Ed on 11-13-08 11:24.07. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pierauspitz
Journeyman KnifeNut!
11-13-08 21:29.53 - Post#1685496    

In response to Alberta Ed

Hi!

Concerning the brittleness, no worries, it's not a cookie ready to crumble, heh?
And this "matrix" structure makes i tough.
The Ancient Persans were not mistaken when they made swords out of this steel , that were, by some acounts, far superior to European productions (and Japanese swords too, let's kill the myth once and for all).

The point is just that at this super high C contents, we are not that far from cast iron. And even though the cristaline structure of these UHC blade makes them "allmighty" cutting tools compared to standard steel, they will not apreciate being droped on hard sufaces (well no knife would )...
The best if you wanna try UHC at lower cost is to buy a bare blade of small dimension and mount it yourself (in a very simple and cheap way). There you will know how you llike the stuff...

As for the sheath, I will not say "they suck", as they are very serviceable and the leather is of good quality. But this leather is left completely unfinnished, hence the "cardboard" feel it gives, so you have to condition it by yourself it to have a "leather feeling" (a dab of mink oil, lanolin, neatsfoot oil, or even Nivea cream to nurish it and then a good bee-wax cover and there you go).
But have to agree that this "belt slot" attachment was not the best idea (the wich can be easilyy modified to a dangler-type by threading a little leather strap through the slots).
And if you find the "hugging" of the sheath not very efficient, it's ecause those Roselli knives have very comfortable, but awkward to sheath handles. I found that glueing a tiny patch of thin leather between the belt tongue and the "back sewn" part makes the fit tighter and it holds the knife very securely (takes 2mn to fix, and isinvisible).

Cheers
Pierre

Edited by pierauspitz on 11-13-08 21:36.52. Reason for edit: No reason given.

antonio_luiz
Master Member KnifeNut!
11-14-08 10:42.24 - Post#1685926    

I have his UHC Puuko and really love it. The process Roselli uses to forge his blades (standard and UHC) results in a very hard but tough steel - brittleness is not a problem - nor is sharpening if you follow his instruction. My only reservation is in the strength of the tang/handle, but this should never be a problem unless the knife is abused. The design has the benefit of keeping the knife light and balanced. Roselli knives are superb cutters but not meant to be used as prybars

The sheath may not be the best of designs but is a reasonable compromise - I guess it really depends on whether or not you dig the Scandi style. Apparently the leather has been treated with oil (linseed?) and Roselli actually recommends that the knife is stored in the sheath - but being paranoid I also treat everything with RenWax before storage

I would love to get his damascus/wootz knives but for the $$$ - and am now eyeing off his hatchets
I'm paranoid only cause everyone's out to get me!

foxhunter
Master Member KnifeNut!
11-15-08 22:39.18 - Post#1686847    

In response to antonio_luiz

one clarification:
UHC isn´t wootz.

it´s in the same hardness category. however wootz is more expensive and a damascus type of steel.

see here:
http://www.roselli.fi/1/index-eng.h...
UHC
can be found under "knives/UHC knives"
Wootz
is found under "knives/collector´s knives".
Goert.

the sharper your knife - the easier your life!

see you at the Fällkniven forum

pierauspitz
Journeyman KnifeNut!
11-15-08 23:11.00 - Post#1686851    

In response to foxhunter

Hi Goert!

I seemed to me that the UHC was an "industrial" version of wootz (also known as "Bulat"). Wootz is a crucible, crystaline type of steel, that has absolutely nothing to do with "damascus" as the latter is a pattern welded steel.
One possibility though is that the high end "wootz" version might be from "hand smelted" steel? But sadly, Roselli is not giving much information about it, and I even find this particular page almost misleading, as the description is very unclear. Also, the picture clearly shows a pattern welded knife, not wootz.

Here a link to show ow wootz is meant to look like : http://www.buffaloriverforge.com/wo...

I heard somewhere that the roselli "wootz" blades were actually UHC blades hand picked for their particulay stunning pattern, and then given a superior finnish. But this information might worth checking.
But one thing sure is that the surface of UHC blades defenetly does show a cristaline structure that "classical" steel does not have. Also, the carbon content (between 1,5 to 2% !!!) is consistent with wootz steel (have also to remind that with "classical" metalurgy, 2% carbon = cast iron...). I cannot imagine what else could it be with such high carbon content...

My two cents
Pierre

foxhunter
Master Member KnifeNut!
11-16-08 04:08.52 - Post#1686972    

In response to pierauspitz

Pierre,
you´re right, Rosely makes quite a secret out of wootz, which is surely a selling strategy.

By the handful of UHC blades I have seen in reality I can just say they look rather industrialized to me.

However who does believe that Heimo Roselli is forging all the blades at his anvil must be still dreaming

and as you say, high carbon contents can indeed make a crystalline structure.

Goert.

the sharper your knife - the easier your life!

see you at the Fällkniven forum

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.099 seconds.   Total Queries: 186   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 10:48.06