thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
thumb_1411961722-374934_2397988276894_1877393445_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1411889958-Summers_131026_-_Copy__617x800_.jpg
thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
thumb_1411471998-MapleBurlHunter.jpg
Current Quote
"Its all fun and games.... till someone looses an eye!
"
~ Anonymous
245 Online Now
24 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 221 guests are online now.
    Username Post: new Marbles, made where?        (Topic#828011)
    tarzan1
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-27-08 09:07.48 - Post#1587524    

On another thread by Mike Stewart, it was mentioned that the new Marbles are made in the USA on a small scale, is it true? Where are the onesthat AG Russell are selling made?

bax 40
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-27-08 11:37.01 - Post#1587630    

In response to tarzan1

I just bought two Marbles folders that were made in China.

Larry
    God is Dog spelled backwards!

A. G. Russell
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-27-08 15:10.32 - Post#1587812    

In response to bax 40

The marble's we are selling were made in this country, we are selling existing stock.

valhalla ss
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-31-08 13:07.03 - Post#1620074    

In response to A. G. Russell

Marbles exists only in name, they died when George Brinkley became the CEO and decided to "optimize productivity and profit" by moving production to what he called "world markets" meaning China. On their current website, they claim the knives with a US flag next to them are made in the US. As far as anyone knows or will say, they are made somewhere in Washington state, and even then, they are probably just partially assembled there, kind of like my Harley with it's Japanese front end, wheels, etc. Mike Stewart brought Marble's back from the dead in the 90's and had it going great until the early 2000's (the Bobcat box era) until corporate greed and dirty politics ruined a century old tradition of pride and craftsmanship. I also heard there was one lady still in Gladstoned doing something involving Marbles but nobdy knows what. I think they should have had the decency to pull the plug and bury it the day Mike Stewart left. Having talent like him and then screwing it up is like tripping over a magic lamp then throwing it in the ocean for kicks, just retarded If I have any of this wrong, somebody can feel free to set me straight, but i think I have it right
    All Hail George Brinkley! for destroying a 100 year old tradition of quality knifemaking, quite a legacy.

A. G. Russell
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-04-08 06:29.33 - Post#1623125    

In response to valhalla ss

I haave to defend Mr. Brinkley, he is not a nut, like a few of us. George is a business man and is reacting to the American market which has large numbers of people driven by PRICE. I suspect that he will make money. I have seen the folders from China and at $25 they are a good buy.

valhalla ss
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-16-08 09:47.43 - Post#1635469    

In response to A. G. Russell

That's ok, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. That's what makes the USA so great Even if they are WRONG. If Mr. Brinkley wants to import crappy knives, GREAT! but why package them as Marble's??? because he is trying to tie his cheap junk to a name that has historically been equated with pride and craftsmanship, that's fraud. I'm just calling a turd a turd. The new Marble's would however be much easier to collect since nobody wants them see, I said something positive
    All Hail George Brinkley! for destroying a 100 year old tradition of quality knifemaking, quite a legacy.

brianWE
    09-16-08 09:59.05 - Post#1635477    

Some sweeping statements and strong views, there!

I gather you have first hand experience with the quality of the new Marbles knives.
    Want to give us some detail on what you found so disappointing?
    Apart from the source of manufacture.
    Brian W Edginton
    Please don't attack me for what you read between the lines of my posts.
    I didn't write it...you did.

mitt
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-16-08 10:43.04 - Post#1635520    

In response to brianWE

Well put Brian !!!!!!!!!!
    TIM D.A.V

MikeStewart
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-17-08 00:49.37 - Post#1636052    

In response to mitt

I think that it is important to remember that the marbles knives that A.G. is offering are the U.S.A. made ones.

Not the Chinese Current models.

We can Debate the Quality of the new ones till the Cows Come Home but that is not Relevant to what A.G. has here.

Mike...................
    BRKCA MIKE #01
    NJKCA #041

"I Am America"

Bark River Facebook Group - Join Today

RIP Chris + 1

bigbadjon
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-17-08 02:11.58 - Post#1636125    

In response to MikeStewart

I bought one of the red maple ideals from AG not long ago. I think that the workmanship is of very good quality. The grind, polish, and fit are all top notch. The sheath is nice to with one complaint. The flares that attach the belt loop scratch up the wood handle, so I put some moleskin on them.
    Please, call me Jon.

goodjeep
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-26-08 02:31.47 - Post#1644761    

In response to bigbadjon

Brian, regardless of the quality of the Chinese made knives many of us just don’t want to purchase Chinese products or any foreign made products for that matter.

mitt
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-26-08 03:49.08 - Post#1644860    

In response to brianWE

All the talk about the Marbles made in China had me wondering.I went to e-bay and purchased a #mr118 folder made in China. The knife cost me a whopping 8.50$ U.S. funds! When it came in the mail the first thing I noticed was its weight,then to my suprise it was of high quality.Fit and finnish was very nice and the scales were very even in thier color.Now I prefer the American made knives,but after actully getting one and using it the only proplem that I noticed that the joints were not lubricated.A spot of Rem-oil solved that,sharp out of the box as well.This is the bottom line on Chinese made Marbles,No one can touch that quality for that price.And you know what else I orderd a Large sunfish in the same handle material for 10.50$ I think that speaks volumes about the Chinese made Marbles folders.
    TIM D.A.V

sylvanheart
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-26-08 04:33.27 - Post#1644903    

In response to mitt

I have to agree with the assessment of the Chineese Marbles knives. I have a few of them and have found them to be a good value. It does sadden me to think though, that at some point in the future "Marbles" may be synonymous with acceptable quality Chineese and.. I think, Pakistani blades. For some reason, I'm more comfortable buying the same type of decent quality Chineese blades under the Rough Rider marque that doesn't muddy up the Marbles name. I'm happier(in a nostalgic way) to remember Marbles as the high quality fixed blades produced in the US way back when and more recently under Mike's Stewart...ship ;). I hold them near and dear just like my Barkies.
    John

bax 40
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-29-08 07:57.02 - Post#1647361    

In response to sylvanheart

I took one of the chinese Trapper Models this weekend and like you Mitt I think it is a very good value myself and razor sharp right out of the box.

Larry
    God is Dog spelled backwards!

Ho Bo Woods
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-29-08 16:38.16 - Post#1647799    

In response to bax 40

Marble's Ideals are made in Gladstone, MI.
    Marbles Ideals
    "But Mr Bunny — ! He's all over the place, Mr Bird. He is an interloper — he's like a rogue elephant — wild — no rules."
    --Mr.McCool

valhalla ss
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-02-08 05:07.24 - Post#1650004    

In response to Ho Bo Woods

• Ho Bo Woods Said:
    Marble's Ideals are made in Gladstone, MI.
    Marbles Ideals

I really don't think anything is being made at the old Gladstone plant. Somebody who lives around there should stop there and see if there are any signs of life or activity so we can settle it once and for all. If these knives are being made by Dave Shirley at Northwoods, then they should not be stamped Marble's, they should be stamped Northwoods IMO

brianWE
    10-02-08 05:21.49 - Post#1650016    

• Quote:
    If these knives are being made by Dave Shirley at Northwoods, then they should not be stamped Marble's, they should be stamped Northwoods IMO

Ummm....take that principle to its logical end and we lose, almost, every old knife name in existence.
    Case, Remington, Cattaraugus, Schatt & Morgan, Robeson, etc. The list would be a long one.

Personally, I like to see the old names preserved. Especially if the makers give us something approximating the traditional product.
    Brian W Edginton

valhalla ss
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    10-02-08 05:50.07 - Post#1650041    

In response to brianWE

I have to disagree, I will give you an example. Take some misguided soul like me "collects Marbles knives" take my wife for example who is oblivious to any degree of understanding about the dynamics that have played out with the misuse and dishonesty involving knives being stamped Marbles and MSA since the company went down the crapper, or a new collector for that matter, who does not understand that a knife stamped Marbles, or MSA Gladstone is NOT in fact a true Marble's knife that collectors seek. It is a fake, a forgery, a copy or a "modern rendition" People have spent alot of hard earned money buying knives (sometimes as gifts to give to collectors, hence the example of my wife) and the knife given is one of these modern day renditions. That is just plain wrong. Imagine if I fired up a knife company in my garage and called it Randell knife company, used the same logo and just swapped out an a for an e in the name. Imagine if I turned out decent quality blades that looked like the real ones. People would come to my house to lynch me!! I'd probably get sued too. Buying the rights of a dead company doesn't give people the right to use it to fool customers who are confused already by all the game playing. The knife industry has had it's share of dirty dealings and corporate profiteering, I just wish people would knock it off and have a little integrity, that's all I told my wife that she should never ever try to buy me a knife unless it's a Bark River because of all the shady people who have misued the Marbles/MSA name. I'll get off my soapbox and leave it alone. Somebody accidentally left the old Marbles arms forum unlocked and if anybody wants to see for themselves what happened, go check it out I bought alot of knives before I figured things out a bit, they have all been resold on EBAY at a loss, and I was very clear in MY dealings where the knifes were made and by whom and when, just wish everybody was more honest about the whole dirty situation. So, IMO the only real Marble's knives were made until 1976, and then from 97-02'ish (Stewart era Bocats) not sure if that was 01 or 02?? anyways, beware of what you're buying

mitt
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-02-08 06:12.53 - Post#1650059    

Why stop at 1976. Webster Marbles died along time before that.Those were REAL Marbles, anything after that is a falsehood of the name.Glad I own a couple of Websters Knives while he was alive,although I am pretty sure he did not actully make them.But his last name is stamped on the tang.Things and time change.I am glad all my Barkies were made under the supervision of Mike Stewart as well as some of my Marbles.I am a Michigan Man so it is of importance to me to have a pure Michigan made product.Mike Stewart puts out the best knife available today hands down!I bought the new folder Marbles out of curiousity and found them to be of good quality at a price that cannot be beat.They will be givin to my nieces and nephews and great neices and nephews.I am not interested in keeping them, but they are nice folders.As for purchasing the exspensive knives it will be Bark River exclusivly.I agree Marbles is just a name now,I am glad Mike picked up the torch and kept it going in Bark Rivers.
    TIM D.A.V

brianWE
    10-02-08 06:21.34 - Post#1650066    

I guess there are people who go into collecting without preparation. Probably don't buckle their seat belts, either.

Yes, deliberate fraud is nasty and should be stamped out.
    But repros that don't pretend to be originals are a different thing....IMO.
    I have a beautiful little Northwoods "Scagel" bird and trout...I could NEVER have owned an original. But this one gives me a feel for what it might be like...even if I am deluding myself.
    Brian W Edginton

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.327 seconds.   Total Queries: 303   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 12:13.32