thumb_1406729690-20140720_164427.jpg
Current Quote
"
A free people ought...to be armed..

speech of January 7, 1790"
~ George Washington
257 Online Now
21 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 236 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 4 1234
    Username Post: Should I force a patina?        (Topic#821936)
    Switchback
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-11-08 08:58.58 - Post#1520672    

I have a Case Pocket Hunter on the way. It will be the first user knife I have ever owned in Chrome Vanadium. I don't really want to be cleaning rust spots from the blade for a year until a natural patina forms but I want the benefits of CV steel. On the other hand, I would appreciate an honest patina more than a forced one.
    Should I force the patina?
    Can someone post a photo of a knife with recently forced patina and how it was done?
    Rick T.

Sir Woodley
    force a patina?
    05-11-08 12:43.24 - Post#1520776    

In response to Switchback

I recieved my Case Yellow Sod Buster Jr. in CV thursday. I've been using it daily in the kitchen. Meats, fruits, vegitables,... (onions seem to be the kicker!) It will not be my EDKitchen knife, but will be part of my EDC. I feel better now that it has a convexed edge and a nice protective patina on it. I don't really think I "forced" it. I just "used" it. If it's gonna be a user, make it usable. Enjoy! M

ducatiman
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    Re: force a patina?
    05-11-08 13:01.24 - Post#1520783    

In response to Sir Woodley

Go ahead and do it.

Vinegar works for me.

It will be replaced by a natural patina in the next year or so anyway.

Carl-

Ramel
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-11-08 21:47.55 - Post#1521003    

In response to ducatiman

Being as how you asked, here's what I have learned about patina over the years and my thoughts on it.

First off, patina is really just rust. Much as gun bluing is rust. It's just controlled rust.

Different materials react slightly differently with the metal and give a slightly different shade of patina.

All artificially induced patinas look artificial due to the consistency and depth of the color.

A true patina developed over the years looks best because of the subtle shadings and depths of color caused by the various oxidation sources involved.

CV could technically be called a form of stainless due to the chromium content. The degree a steel is stainless is controlled by the amount of chromium in it. All stainless will rust, it just stains less.

Finally, it's your knife so your choice as to what you do to it. If it was mine, I'd just stick it in my pocket and let mother nature do her thing. If it's truly a user, it will be exposed to enough elements; apples, oranges, onions, sweat, blood, vinegar, tree sap, etc. so a natural patina will develop rather quickly. If it's just a "pocket queen" it may never develop one.
    Just Kidding
    (Or am I?)

Duff
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-12-08 01:49.04 - Post#1521054    

In response to Ramel

Here's a picture of my "forced" patina sodbuster. I think it's kind of a 'to each his own' deal. Now that I've carried it for over a year and done everything from digging up soybean seed out of the dirt (not a normal job for a knife maybe, but when your farming.... ) to gutting deer to cutting limes for a cocktail. The forced patina has since been replaced with a real working one. I got it soaked hunting and it developed a few rust spots and I scrubbed it with mild steel wool, which changed the look as well. As Ramel said, if you're going to use it-it will look well used in a while anyway, but I wouldn't not do it if you want "the look" now. Hot vinegar worked best for me. Good luck and enjoy your knife.

Attachment

Switchback
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-12-08 03:04.29 - Post#1521086    

In response to Duff

Thanks to all for your advice. I certainly do appreciate it.
    I will most likely go ahead and do it. Unless I change my mind by the time the knife arrives.
    I very seldom use my pocket knives to cut food with. I usually have a kitchen knife or steak knife handy whenever there is food around. Zip ties, nylon bands, shrink wrap, cardboard, box tape are the most common things that I need a knife for so it may take a good while to form a natural patina.
    Thanks again for the input and the photo. You all have helped me make my decision.
    Rick T.

wwilson
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-12-08 03:15.23 - Post#1521097    

In response to Duff

Here's a moose I did in vinegar simply as protective measures until the normal daily patina is established. You can clearly see where Ed gets his opinion concerning the look of a "forced patina"...I did several knives in the vinegar just for fun and they all came out with a smooth and even patina that looks very controlled and consistent. One of my reasons for the vinegar-forced patina was that one of the knives, a mid-folding hunter had developed some rust at the tang and was always difficult to clean. The forced patina helped to remedy this situation by fully treating the blade. I reckon we'll see how it turns out after some use in the field this summer as that knife is my primary catfishin' knife!

Hope this helps...

Billy

Attachment

BRKCA Mike #334

Ramel
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-12-08 03:52.08 - Post#1521130    

In response to wwilson

I swear I posted this already. Can't seem to see it, so must have fat fingered something. Anyhow, here's my almost constant companion old 265. Never had anything done to it except the recent rehandle in red bone. Just stuff it in my back pocket and go.

Attachment

Just Kidding
    (Or am I?)

Switchback
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-12-08 05:00.17 - Post#1521177    

In response to Ramel

Wow! This is all very interesting!
    When using vinager, what's the best way to do this? Someone mentioned hot vinager. How hot should it be? Do you boil it? Do you just dip the knife into the vinager or do you soak it for a while? Or wipe it on with a cloth? Is one application all it takes?
    Keep the replies coming! I'm learning a lot here!
    Rick T.

Ramel
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-12-08 05:39.57 - Post#1521202    

In response to Switchback

just get it hot. You can add salt to it also. Lots of salt. Then dip the knife in it for awhile. Of course you can make it easy and buy youself a blottle of cold gun bluing at Wal-Mart. Just rub it on, let it sit for a minute or two, rinse with cold water, then oil and polish with fine steel wool. Think the directions are on the bottle. Whatever method you choose, wash the blades well with hot soap and water to make sure all the oil is off of them.
    Just Kidding
    (Or am I?)

Page 1 of 4 1234
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.382 seconds.   Total Queries: 168   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 04:57.52