thumb_1406244502-apple1.jpg
thumb_1406242071-IMAG0183.jpg
thumb_1406138951-1.JPG
thumb_1405723916-IMG_1451.jpg
thumb_1405631397-6.JPG
thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
Current Quote
"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."
~
307 Online Now
27 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 280 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Busse vs Rat Cutlery vs Scrap Yard        (Topic#819865)
    Jestersinthemoon
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    04-15-08 02:33.21 - Post#1499043    

Ok,

Simple, easy question. What is your opinion? Pricing and availability issues aside, which do you like best and why?

Busse Combat / Swamp Rat
    Scrap Yard Knives
    Rat Cutlery

You could maybe include Ranger Knives RD Series. Also, you may add your own preference, IF and only IF, it is the exact same style of knife. I don't want to hear about how you love your Custom Reverse S-Curve Obsidian Tanto because you know it will do all the same things as a Busse, only better. I don't care. I am interested in a particular style of knife. Now, I know that these companies make several different sizes and styles, but they all produce a 6"-8" full tang, modified drop or spear point field knife, with Micarta or G10 scales.

So, which do you like best. Why?

Thanks!

Jester

marcinek
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-15-08 02:44.06 - Post#1499050    

In response to Jestersinthemoon

Simple easy answer! Ranger.

Bomb-proof tanks of knives, readily available at a reasonable price, backed by a no questions asked waranty from a really service-oriented good guy, Justin.

Nothing against the other brands, makers of the other brands, or fans of the other brands...they are great.

Just happen to think that, for what they are designed to be (tough brutish user knives), Rangers can't be beat.
    "Why use an ox-cleaver to carve a chicken?" - Confucius

Thesian
    Member KnifeNut!
    I'll go with Jerry
    04-15-08 09:20.54 - Post#1499311    

Of course money is usually an issue but if I go by that as not being a criteria, I think Busse Combat produces a superior knife. All of those listed are tough and serviceable knifes but fit and finish goes to Jerry in my opinion. I had a steelheart I that I regret trading off to this day.

JDofOZ
    Aussie Snowy River Club
    Re: I'll go with Jerry
    04-15-08 10:27.38 - Post#1499371    

In response to Thesian

I can only comment on the Ranger and RAT Cutlery Co Knives as Knifemakers like Busse and Swamp Rat are virtually unobtainable to the average KE here and the makers have no interest in Australia.

For smaller Knives up to 6" I prefer the RATs but over that the Rangers have proven to be excellent Knives.

From my knowledge both Jeff and Mike and Justin listen to their ELU's and that gets bonus points from me.
    jdee

bear the dog
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-15-08 10:31.36 - Post#1499373    

In response to Thesian

RAT Cutlery.

-Easy to contact.
    -The best customer service on the planet.
    -The best sheath options
    -The guys at RAT cutlery are also fans of Busse and Scrappy

Leatherface
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-15-08 12:39.22 - Post#1499483    

In response to bear the dog

for the person that wants what he wants and wants it now?? Ranger knives all the way bro

Busse or Swamp rat or Scrapyard you are haggling over looks and price..Performance in all will be top notch

Rat Cutlery is fast becoming one of my favs...If Bear digs them (he has been there and done that) then I can dig them as well
    "Big Gay" Dave
    Azrael's Custom Leather

Holy Diver
    You're the star of the masquerade
    No need to look so afraid

sdt11670
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    04-15-08 14:48.43 - Post#1499580    

In response to Leatherface

Ranger knives all the way! For all the reasons mentioned and then some... And the rat cutlery guy's are ranger fans too and have posted on the other forum that they recommend their customers to deal with Justin when seeking an indestructible blade with top notch customer service.

BaxAxe
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    04-15-08 16:26.03 - Post#1499646    

In response to sdt11670

I agree with everything posted here. All are great companies. I definately agree that Busse is the nicest and possibly best perfoming blade, but you will pay much more to own one. If you are ok with a blade that will handle any task, but may not be quite as nice as busse, Rangers, RAT's, Swamp Rats, and Scrappers are all awesone knives. My personal favorite is Rangers. They are the best bang for your buck knives out there IMO, and you can get whatever you want, whenever you want from Justin. But you wont go wrong with any of these companies. I own a few Rangers, but will also say that a Rat Cutlery RC4 is at the top of my list to get.

ball5out
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    Busse vs Rat Cutlery vs Scrap Yard
    04-16-08 04:58.10 - Post#1499955    

I'll go with the Rat on this one
    if it dont start with a 4, dont go to war. come get some

bld522
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    04-17-08 07:50.49 - Post#1500967    

• Jestersinthemoon Said:
    Pricing and availability issues aside . . . which do you like best?

Thanks!

Jester

Remove price and availability from the equation and the answer is easy: Busse Combat. Add price and availability back into the equation and the answer is just as easy: Ranger Knives.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.368 seconds.   Total Queries: 172   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 13:19.54