thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
Current Quote
"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace"
~ Amelia Earhart
251 Online Now
19 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 232 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: MAG-BLOK Magnetic Knife Holder        (Topic#811887)
    tstetz
    The Puukko Prophet
    01-09-08 11:01.38 - Post#1416504    

MAG-BLOK Magnetic Knife Holder

Well, I received my MAG-BLOK today from the good folks at Benchcrafted. Shipping was super fast and the block was securely packaged in a heavy roll of bubble wrap and then inside a plastic tube. No way your MAG-BLOK is getting damaged in shipping bar some catastrophic event.

The BLOK I received is a 18�x2�x3/4� Curly Maple edition. It’s a light colored wood with a nice pattern to it. When you first pick it up you’re immediately impressed with its weight. While it looks like a block of fine wood its heft indicates that there’s more here than meets the eye. My wife asked me how they get the magnets inside and I facetiously said they don’t, they just grow magnetic trees. However after examining the block for seams I’m starting to wonder if that might not be true! The BLOK is extremely well finished and, at least on my sample, it isn’t obvious at all how the magnets are installed. My brother-in-law eventually found one but it took him a while in good lighting. The BLOK comes complete with a set of brass mounting screws.

The next thing to do obviously was to stick things to the MAG-BLOK. I tried a small steel 6� ruler that I use around my desk and it jumped at the BLOK and clung to it like Spiderman. If you put it near the BLOK in any position other than completely vertical the magnet grabbed the ruler and snapped it horizontally along the full length of the BLOK. It seems to want as much metal on magnet contact as it can get. I next tried a couple of folders. First an Alox Victorinox Electrician, which also clung securely to the MAG-BLOK. I didn’t know if the aluminum scales would interfere with how the knife would hold but if it did, I couldn’t tell. I then tried a Kershaw Scallion with polymer scales and it too stuck to the BLOK like it was glued there. Just out of curiosity I tried shaking the BLOK to see if I could dislodge the ruler or either of the 2 knives. The ruler wouldn’t budge at all. Neither would the Kershaw. The Alox Electrician would eventually pop free but only if it was at the far end of the block when I was shaking it and only with considerable effort. Trust me, if you put a knife or tool on your block while its attached to you cabinet, walls or workbench, it isn’t going anywhere until you want it to!

It takes some effort to remove a knife once it’s on the MAG-BLOK. It’s not hard to do per se, but you definitely can tell that it’s being held there. An oddly interesting side effect of the magnet was that I could open folding knives as I drew them off the BLOK. If you attached your folder to the BLOK with the blade spine down you could pull away the handle and the blade would remain in place until fully deployed, at which point you had enough leverage to pull the knife free. I guess this could be a downside too if you grabbed it in a hurry and weren’t paying attention but I really doubt its much of an issue for concern. On the other hand, knowing you can open a safely stored folder that way might be handy around a workshop if your other hand is otherwise occupied on a project.

Using the MAG-BLOK with fixed blades was a no brainer. A Kydex sheath appears to create too much resistance to attach a largish tactical knife sheathed, but the same knife out of the sheath (a ¼� thick, full tang 6� bladed knife) held with no problems whatsoever. Considering that these are designed to hold large cleaver’s and chef’s knives most hunting and utility knives shouldn’t present much of a challenge for them.

Aside from the obvious usage of a MAG-BLOK in the kitchen, these would be a great way to display a knife collection in a den or area where you don't have to worry about kids. Especially for folding knives. Having them on the wall is a really neat way to display them both for you to look at on a day-to-day basis and for your buddies to see when they come to visit. Same for fixed blades as well. I could easily envision a bank of 3 or 4 BLOK's on the wall displaying a great collection. It would be an unusual and classy way to show your price and joy, and is notable different from a glass cabinet or case. Obviously your blades aren’t going to be locked up displaying them this way so that’s something you may have to take into consideration but, if it works for you, this is a pretty slick system.

The BLOK’s also have some real potential for use in keeping your EDC gear out of the way. It’s a great place to slap that EDC folder, car keys, and Space Pen at the end of the day when you come home from work. You’ll always know where your stuff is at if it’s stuck to the wall in the kitchen, den or even right beside the front door when you go to leave!

I’m very happy to have had a chance to check out the Benchcrafted MAG-BLOK and I can see a couple more of them in my future for use in my den and down in my workshop too!

Contact Info:

http://www.benchcrafted.com/

There are some who call me... Tim.

www.woodsmonkey.com

Mike22766
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    Re: MAG-BLOK Magnetic Knife Holder
    01-09-08 15:24.17 - Post#1416737    

In response to tstetz

Great review. I need one of those. I like that they have a natural wood finish that will blend in with any decor.

M

nphelps4130
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-10-08 03:57.57 - Post#1417075    

In response to Mike22766

That is awesome. Thanks for the great review and pictures. I will definitely have to get one for my kitchen knives.

Simms65
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-10-08 05:16.58 - Post#1417179    

In response to nphelps4130

I agree with everything Tim said.

Mag Bloks are just an incredible product, and I am really pleased with mine. I will get some pictures taken soon, and provided Tim doesn't mind i will add them to this thread.

Support these guys! A basic Mag Blok should run less than $30! I know I am going to pick up a couple.
    David

My pictures starting 2013! My old pictures!

Founding member Mike #281
    Barkiholic enabler!

At least I am not brainwashed into fearing an inanimate object.

tstetz
    The Puukko Prophet
    01-10-08 06:07.18 - Post#1417230    

In response to Simms65

By all means add them on! I'm curious to see the one you got too.

www.woodsmonkey.com

Joezilla
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-10-08 12:12.39 - Post#1417666    

In response to tstetz

wow this thing looks fantastic! where did you get yours? how much?
    Adventure is not outside, it is within.

www.woodsmonkey.com

tstetz
    The Puukko Prophet
    MAG-BLOK Magnetic Knife Holder
    01-10-08 12:19.04 - Post#1417672    

In response to Joezilla

That's the one I won in the KF support raffle Joe.

If you check the link at the bottom of the review though that'll take you to Benchcrafted website. Lots of cool wood choices there.

I'm thinking I'm going to need a bit darker ones for my den.

Note:

Hmm, the website seems to be down right now. Dunno whats up with that.

www.woodsmonkey.com

FJ
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    01-10-08 14:10.42 - Post#1417817    

In response to tstetz

First, we'd like to thank Tim for a very comprehensive and stellar review. It's much appreciated and were so happy he is pleased with the BLOK.

As for the site, please be patient, we're not going anywhere, but the site may be a bit flaky for the next couple days as we're porting to new servers and all the troubles that can include.

I'll try and keep an eye on the forums in case there are any questions.

Cheers.
    FJ
    Benchcrafted.com

thenolden
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    Re: Very fine people
    01-10-08 18:22.11 - Post#1418038    

In response to FJ

Received my prize. It`s an extremely well made product, promptly delivered, properly packaged for the trip and with a great price to boot(assuming you have to pay for it). Their customer service is spotless, a pleasure to deal with.
    Keep up the good work, and thanks a lot.
    Arnold

Simms65
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-29-08 00:42.34 - Post#1434410    

In response to thenolden

It took a while, but last night I finally got things cleaned up so I could put up my Mag-blok!

I don't know how they manage to get such strong magnets in these things, but man after putting it up last night I was impressed all over again!

Here are a couple pictures.

The gorgeous piece of walnut:

Loaded with some knives:

An artsy B&W:

I don't think I could say enough positive things about this product. Support these guys, and go buy one. The basic ones are pretty cheap, so buy two! I plan on doing so.
    David

My pictures starting 2013! My old pictures!

Founding member Mike #281
    Barkiholic enabler!

At least I am not brainwashed into fearing an inanimate object.

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.283 seconds.   Total Queries: 169   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 08:56.32