thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
thumb_1403803806-1.JPG
Current Quote
"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace"
~ Amelia Earhart
378 Online Now
27 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 351 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 7 1234>» Last
    Username Post: Best survival knives (period)?        (Topic#803419)
    hoser
    Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-07 04:59.41 - Post#1318785    

There was a thread here about "Best survival knives for the money" but I'd like to know your opinions on best without money restraint.

Also, best blade length opinions.

hollowdweller
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    Re: Best survival knives (period)?
    09-20-07 05:24.35 - Post#1318796    

In response to hoser

I don't know but I'd think the Fallkniven F1 would be up there due to the durable convex edge, stainless blade so wouldn't rust, moisture resistant handle. Wide spine to you can hit it and protruding tang.
    WTF?

TAHAWK
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-07 05:52.04 - Post#1318808    

In response to hoser

Best for whom?
    Best for where?
    Best for what?

Different people, situations, and needs generate different answers. In the jungle? If so, an F-1 (Own one. Very nice knife!) is inadequate.

Expecting to need a weapon knife? F-1 is not an obvious choice.

Want a chopper? 4" F-1 is too short, and too light, so you have to baton rather than chop.

Carbon steel is tougher. Some will take no other but carbon steel, but the F-1 is pretty tough and won't rust.

You can get opinions that a short, thin, $10.00 MORA is all you need -- "PERFECT!" Another guy wants a Ranger RD-9, a 28 oz. 18" HI khukuri, or a Cold Steel Trailmaster and scorns a short, thin, "cheap" knife.

Some people absolutely hate "rubber": handles, as on the F-1. (I don't.) Gotta be wood! NO! Gotta be Micarta!!!!

Some people have to have a sturdy metal butt that can be hammered on - have to have it! (The F-1 sorta fills the bill, as the tang protrudes some.) Others say that's just wasted weight.

Some want a saw back. (I don't)

At the least, you will get ideas as to what to look at, but don't expect a difinitive answer to your question.

In the end, if you are a knife user (vs. only a collector) you have to try out knives and decide what's best for you and your needs.

tetzmol
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-07 05:59.39 - Post#1318813    

In response to hollowdweller

The best survival knife can be any knife with the following characteristics:
    4 to 6" in lenght
    Full tang
    Preferably convex edge, flat is also good
    Spear- or droppoint
    Hrc. between 57-60
    A comfortable handle
    Blade thickness between .125" and .170"
    Weight less than 8oz
    No or a single guard
    So fill in these characteristics and find the knife thats best.
    My personal choise is the Fallkniven F1, but I also have Bark River Woodland special which is also a magnificent knife although it's a bit smaller than the F1, it still is a knife capable of most survival tasks.

Tetzmol.
    A nice fire keeps up the spirits

scaatylobo
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-07 06:28.13 - Post#1318829    

In response to hoser

My version is a cross between a camp knife and a 'survival' knife and I think I would take the Bravo 1 or the Canadian camp,as they would suffice for most anything I can do with a knife.Cut wood,clean game,make shelter,shave wood sticks,and if really needed - self defense.
    " A Bad Day Living,Beats A Good Day Dead"

ROCK6
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    09-20-07 06:41.16 - Post#1318835    

In response to hoser

• hoser Said:
    There was a thread here about "Best survival knives for the money" but I'd like to know your opinions on best without money restraint.

Also, best blade length opinions.

Well, you can plan to survive, but you don't get to pick your survival situation, it happens when you least expect it. With that said, the old adage of "what you have on you is your best survival knife".

A list of knives is so subjective. Everybody here is from a different region with different aspect that impact decisions on their best knife selection. Don't forget to throw in the personal opinions, level of skill, time of season, type of activity...

A $400 custom survival chopper doesn't help much if you don't carry it on a day hike that accidentally takes a turn for the worse.

With all that said, if you're looking for opinions regardless of price, I'll give a few of my own:

-Best hatchet/axe: Gransfors Bruk (Wildlife or SFA)
    -Best "big" knife: Siegle Hoodlum II or my Fehrman Extreme Judgement
    -Best Belt Knife (~5" blade): Fehrman Last Chance; TOPS Pasayten; Mission MPK10A2 or my Brian Goode O1
    -Best small fixed (~4" blade): BRKT Northstar, Nebula, Aurora; Fallkniven F1; Roselli Hunter; Simonich Talon; Skookum Bush Tool; Charles May Skifa Scandi (how about best "bunch")
    Trailsman that will be ready when I redeploy home
    -Best Folder: Sebenza, Spyderco Military, BM AFCK, Ritter RSK-1
    -Best SAK: Love the Outrider and Rucksack
    -Best Multi-Tool: the original Leatherman Wave
    -Best neck knife: Fallkniven WM-1, RJM Handiman
    -Best PSK knife: Buck Hartsook, BRKT PSK, Gossman PSK

A whole lot of "best survival knives" regardless of price in my inventory

ROCK6

Edited by ROCK6 on 09-20-07 06:42.40. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GossmanKnives
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-07 06:56.15 - Post#1318843    

In response to ROCK6

That's a tall order to fill. To pick a do it all knife is impossible. If I did have to pick a "survival" knife it would be a fixed blade, 5 to 8 inch blade, with 7" being the happy medium. O1, A2 or a 10X series steel like 1084 with micarta scales.
    Scott
    www.gossmanknives.com
    Wilderness Tools
    Sharp hardware for big timber

A2 and O1. Kick ass tool steel

foxhunter
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-07 07:21.39 - Post#1318858    

In response to tetzmol

• tetzmol Said:
    The best survival knife can be any knife with the following characteristics:
    4 to 6" in lenght
    Full tang
    Preferably convex edge, flat is also good
    Spear- or droppoint
    Hrc. between 57-60
    A comfortable handle
    Blade thickness between .125" and .170"
    Weight less than 8oz
    No or a single guard
    So fill in these characteristics and find the knife thats best.
    My personal choise is the Fallkniven F1, but I also have Bark River Woodland special which is also a magnificent knife although it's a bit smaller than the F1, it still is a knife capable of most survival tasks.

Tetzmol.

almost 100% agreed.
    I would add the Fällkniven H1.

In fact: once I´ll have enough money to afford me some hunting trip in the high arctic. So "being prepared" is the issue.
    I am at present extremely sure that I will bring two Fällkniven H1 and one U2 with me.

Considering jungle: I admit there a larger blade,6 inches, may be worth considering.
    Goert.

the sharper your knife - the easier your life!

see you at the Fällkniven forum

Terrill Hoffman
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    Best survival knives (period)?
    09-20-07 07:40.00 - Post#1318880    

In response to foxhunter

The BEST I have come across FOR MY USE in the foothills of NC is the OSK-1 by Charles May. It would be followed by the Benchmade Doug Ritter fixed blade.
    With that said, I am talking about my own personal use in the woods I spend the majority of my time in. Also keep in mind that I have not tried EVERY knife out there and I'm sure there are dozens of others that would be acceptable.
    They both have a 4 1/2 " blade.
    Terrill Hoffman Photography
    www.terrillhoffman.com

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional.

Edited by Terrill Hoffman on 09-20-07 07:43.45. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scaatylobo
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    09-20-07 08:02.13 - Post#1318892    

In response to Terrill Hoffman

Terrill ,it seems we both have the same Doug Ritter's ,the B/M fixed and the large folder.I have not had any chance to wring out the fixed yet,but the folder is now my EDC.I need to see some of the May knives too.
    " A Bad Day Living,Beats A Good Day Dead"

Page 1 of 7 1234>» Last
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.325 seconds.   Total Queries: 171   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 09:20.36