thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
thumb_1403803806-1.JPG
thumb_1403370287-172-Box-Elder-Hunter-a.jpg
thumb_1403211911-1.JPG
Current Quote
""Prefer loss to the wealth of dishonest gain, the former vexes you for a time, the latter will bring you lasting remorse."
~ Chilo"
~ Chilo
329 Online Now
29 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 300 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Blazen vs. Tojiro Powdered Steel        (Topic#790922)
    allumirati
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-14-07 15:09.47 - Post#1180585    

From what I can see is that these two use the same steel, but the blazens look more finished than the tojiro but that don't really matter to me. The blazens are about fifty dollars more and I hear the balance and performance is good. What I want to know is how the balance and function of the tojiro's compare.

Also what is the difference in quality between AS steel and Powdered (I believe this is cowry x?).

CaptCaliber
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-14-07 15:14.39 - Post#1180593    

In response to allumirati

Cowry X is a high speed powdered tool steel, but it's not the same as the Ruysen or Tojiro...

From what I have been told, Ruysen makes them both and they are more or less the same knife. I have not held a Blazen, so I can neither confirm nor deny. I had a Tojiro PS gyuto, my fit and finish was fine, but the handle shape bothers some people, I thought it was fine...

Also note the Blazen includes a nice saya... What that is worth to you I'm not sure.
    chad g

www.12bones.com

I'm gonna raise your roof
    Ring your bell and that's the truth
    Speed don't kill, and I'm the proof
    Just call me snaggletooth

CaptCaliber
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-14-07 15:15.59 - Post#1180596    

In response to CaptCaliber

Also, AS is a carbon steel, the tool steels you reference are stainless, but the hardness is comparable.
    chad g

www.12bones.com

I'm gonna raise your roof
    Ring your bell and that's the truth
    Speed don't kill, and I'm the proof
    Just call me snaggletooth

allumirati
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-14-07 15:35.58 - Post#1180615    

In response to CaptCaliber

thanks for the info

kja
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-14-07 15:46.12 - Post#1180627    

In response to allumirati

i dont think there the same.. and i dont think ryusen makes tojiro knives.. but the blazen is either sg-2 or r-2 from what i gather right now. the tojiro is probly not one of those steels because there location is different and it would be weird to ship it that far.. but i dont know any of this for sure.(except that the tojiro is not made by ryusen)
    will

zerogee
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-14-07 16:27.50 - Post#1180652    

In response to kja

No, the Tojiro PS and Blazen are NOT "more or less the same knives", regardless of who actually makes the Tojiro PS line (and I think we can be reasonably confident that Tojiro makes them -- after all, they use advanced lamination construction in all their DP lines, and this is really no different) -- they use different cladding steel and different core powder steel, for a start.

"Powder steel" is only a steel manufacturing technique, not a particular type of steel -- the steel content can be anything they want to make it. You can take any existing steel and make a powder steel version of it -- and it arrives in sheets, just like any other steel.

They behave differently when sharpening, a definite indication that the core steel is different -- the Tojiro PS tends to hold onto a burr like a hungry pit bull holds onto a steak, while the Blazen sharpens more like a very hard blue super steel knife.

In my experience, the Blazens have a more refined edge geometry also. And yes, the Blazen sayas are very nice too.

Amadio
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-14-07 19:05.14 - Post#1180720    

In response to zerogee

Zerogee, summed it up perfectly.
    "Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity.
    That's how rich I want to be."

~Rita Rudner

jagstyle
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    Blazen vs. Tojiro Powdered Steel
    03-14-07 19:43.38 - Post#1180733    

In response to Amadio

yup, great explanation by zerogee

I've got a Blazen and PS gyuto in the same size (240mm). The Blazen is awesome and the PS is pitiful in stock form. It suffers from lame geometry, brittle cling-on burr steel, uncomfortable spine, square handle, and so on. The only thing it has on Blazen is price. I'll go as far to say that I'd take a DP over a PS as they cut better, sharpen up nicer, and feel lighter in the hand. Unless you wish to make a project out of it, I wouldn't recommend the PS.
    Eric

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.392 seconds.   Total Queries: 141   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 08:51.26