KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1490310452-IMG_20170323_125412.jpg
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: a carabiner urban edc kit - ideas?        (Topic#789380)
rorschah1
Journeyman KnifeNut!
02-22-07 13:13.23 - Post#1163788    

Beyond the SAK on my keychain, I want to put together some sort of basic everyday kit than can go in my bag. Depending on whether I'm walking/driving/biking, whether I've got my laptop, and the distance, I tend to change between like, five bags. I'd stock each bag with a kit if I could, but that seems a little silly.

I was thinking I'd base it around a carabiner - backpacking has made me love those little things, and I carry one anyway, so it'd save on weight over a pouch.

I was tinking: a little leatherman, a larger folder, a Fenix or similar AAA light, and a small medical kit.

Questions: any ideas for a container that has some kind of keyring connector that I could hook up to the caribiner for the medical kit? Something altoids-tin-esque in size. I vaguely remember pictures in past threads of small metal capsules and larger metal capsules that had connectors.

Any tips on connecting something like a Delica to a carabiner? Big keyring? Lanyard? what do you think would make all the items easiest to use and manage?

Any other suggestions? This is for strictly everyday LA wandering. I have a distinct wilderness kit for outward-bound adventures.

Thank ya!

-thi

rorschah1
Journeyman KnifeNut!
a carabiner urban edc kit - ideas?
02-22-07 13:18.31 - Post#1163792    

In response to rorschah1

Oh - and anothe rquestion - I was going to make another one of these carabiner-kits for my girlfriend - who's my backpacking partner, and actually working on a book about surviving the fall of civilization and rebuilding small communities afterwards. So she's quite amenable to survivalist thinking, though her interest is, at present, more abstract. (She has a collection of seeds to start a small sustainable community farm - but no on-person survival kit.)

It would surely help if the knife and capsule I got for her kit were cute. And girly-pretty.

Suggestions?

(Her aesthetic tends towards Bark Rivers and rustic japanese woodworking knives, but for EDC in LA, it's got to be a folder.)

-thi

Edited by rorschah1 on 02-22-07 13:19.11. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tstetz
The Puukko Prophet
Re: a carabiner urban edc kit - ideas?
02-22-07 13:22.17 - Post#1163796    

In response to rorschah1

How about a Spyderco Remote Release for the lockback? It has a built in snap lock to clip it to gear.

For capsules check out Bison Designs.
There are some who call me... Tim.

www.woodsmonkey.com

tstetz
The Puukko Prophet
Re: a carabiner urban edc kit - ideas?
02-22-07 13:28.57 - Post#1163801    

In response to tstetz

Couple more clip knife designs:

Buck Revolution

Wenger Zermatt (pretty good choice imo)

There are some who call me... Tim.

www.woodsmonkey.com

rorschah1
Journeyman KnifeNut!
02-22-07 13:55.03 - Post#1163812    

In response to tstetz

Ooohh... I like the Bison stuff.

Anybody ever use any of this stuff?

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/gear%2 0organ...

AlanMan
Journeyman KnifeNut!
02-22-07 16:58.18 - Post#1163965    

In response to rorschah1

at REI there are first aid kits in blue and yellow bags with red attachment loops that would work on a carabiner. they makea very small one only around a 3 x 4" dimensions, with room to put in some extras.

AlanMan
Journeyman KnifeNut!
02-22-07 17:00.21 - Post#1163967    

In response to rorschah1

• rorschah1 Said:

i tend to not like the first container there simply because the container itself is thick and bulky, and you can get the same water proofness with a small ziplock bag, so it would only be if you needed crushproof.

I use a jimi wallet, but i fail to see how they would do you any good on a carabiner survival kit. not much good at carrying anything other than credit cards and bills (folded up)

Free_Trapper
Master Member KnifeNut!
02-22-07 22:47.48 - Post#1164041    

In response to rorschah1

• rorschah1 Said:

A bunch of us use the Witz boxes & SgtMike is the master packer...check out his pics and posts!
It's the years AND the miles!

Billym
02-23-07 11:35.51 - Post#1164513    

In response to AlanMan

That is an AMK ultralight .3 you are describing.

RobG
Master Member KnifeNut!
02-23-07 12:07.35 - Post#1164538    

In response to Billym

I carry a small witz in my pocket separate from my keys. I ned to revamp it, as I am also playing with items in a vest as well as a mini kit in my Tilley hat. I use one of the non climbing biners for a key ring, included is a little bit of 550 para cord, a BSA hotspark, Fox40 mini whistle, Vic classic, ball compass, Photon II, and two Bison capsules - one with Excedrin Tension Headache (wife cannot have aspirin/ibuprofen), and the second has allergy meds and Aspirin (in case of coming upon a heart attack).

I also carry a Spyderco Delica. Looking at it, I think you would have to fashion a bail, similar in design to a Wenger standard issue SAK.

I'd take a pic, but I'm being lazy.

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.133 seconds.   Total Queries: 186   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 07:59.56