thumb_1405723916-IMG_1451.jpg
thumb_1405631397-6.JPG
thumb_1404764053-004.JPG
thumb_1404657528-DSC_0483.JPG
thumb_1404465179-190720104842.jpg
thumb_1404389642-016.JPG
thumb_1403803806-1.JPG
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
341 Online Now
10 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 331 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 3 All123
    Username Post: 440C vs. CPM-S30V        (Topic#773677)
    Rohann
    07-27-06 11:17.37 - Post#994765    

Hey all, looking at getting a decent folding knife soon (for under $100), and I've found the Kershaw Avalanche (S30V) and the Benchmade Griptilian (440C). I'm not sure which to choose; what are your thoughts on S30V vs. 440C? According to "http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/blade_materials.html#440C", the S30V looks a bit better than the 440C, but I like the design of the Griptilian better.

Thanks,
    -Rohann

steveH
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-27-06 12:58.04 - Post#994861    

In response to Rohann

I have knives with both steels, and they both look the same to me...don't know what that means.

I have a Grip...those are sweet knives with the venerable Axis lock. I have no knowledge of the Avalanche, so I can't say either way. I'm sure you'd be very happy with either one that appeals the most to you. I can say that S30V is a booger to sharpen, relative to 440C...

Rohann
    07-28-06 02:45.03 - Post#995250    

In response to steveH

How about 154cm compared to S30V?

-Rohann

frankk
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-28-06 12:52.23 - Post#995664    

In response to Rohann

440C may not be the latest wondersteel but is as good as ever, combining a very good balance of edge holding and stain resistance. S30V has better edge holding but is not as rust resistant and is a lot harder to polish. 154CM takes a good finish easily, as does 440C, and pretty much splits the difference in edge holding between 440C and S30V. I would recommend getting the kind of knife you like without getting too hung up on the steel.

- Frank

Rohann
    07-29-06 07:16.47 - Post#996225    

In response to frankk

Thanks for the reply.
    Well I decided on the Griptilian (I like it better) because the guy at Knifecenter found me one in 154cm, and S30V is supposed to be a real pain to sharpen.

-Rohann

jetsteel
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-06-06 09:16.16 - Post#1003474    

In response to frankk

• frankk Said:
    440C may not be the latest wondersteel but is as good as ever, combining a very good balance of edge holding and stain resistance. S30V has better edge holding but is not as rust resistant and is a lot harder to polish. 154CM takes a good finish easily, as does 440C, and pretty much splits the difference in edge holding between 440C and S30V. I would recommend getting the kind of knife you like without getting too hung up on the steel.

- Frank

I totally agree with Frank but i would be partial to 154CM because a lot of S30V knives chip and 440C wont retain the edge as well IMHO.
    jet

Grampa
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-09-06 04:46.14 - Post#1005917    

In response to Rohann

• Rohann Said:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Well I decided on the Griptilian (I like it better) because the guy at Knifecenter found me one in 154cm, and S30V is supposed to be a real pain to sharpen.

-Rohann

Congrats! You've got yourself a fine knife! I'm a big fan of the Griptilian, and carry one constantly. 154CM is a great steel for knives, as well. You couldn't have done better in your price range! Other knives may have fancier handles, etc, but for a everyday do-it-all knife, the Grip is unbeatable!
    Cheers!
    Steve

Be careful - It's sharp!

CALPHAD
    10-08-06 15:38.03 - Post#1054335    

In response to Grampa

There are at least two main differences between 440C and CPM S30V that I am aware of:

1. CPM S30V is a wear and corrosion resistant martensitic tool-steel grade manufactured by using Crucible Particle Metallurgy (CPM, hence the name) process (i.e., CPM S30V it is a PM grade), whereas 440C is a conventionally ingot-cast steel. The microstructure of a PM grade is finer and more uniform compared to that of a conventional steel grade such as 440C.

2. The alloying content of CPM S30V is significantly different from that of 440C (which is in essence just Fe-1C-17Cr). The nominal chemical composition of CPM S30V is as follows (in wt. %):

C = 1.45
    Cr = 14
    V = 4
    Mo = 2

The presence of vanadium in CPM S30V results in the precipitation of very hard vanadium-rich MC primary carbides, whose hardenss is about 3000 HV. The presence of 2 wt. % Mo contributes to the secondary-hardening effect, i.e., the higher hardness if tempered at higher tempering temperatures.

440C contains only chromium-rich primary carbides (and they are noticably less hard than vanadium-rich primary carbides).

Finally, the PM microstructure improves steel's toughness characteristics for a given chemical composition.

Dr. K.

www.calphad.com

riddleofsteel
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    10-14-06 11:23.06 - Post#1058533    

In response to CALPHAD

I have a Doug Ritter Benchmade bin S30V. I don't know much about micro carbides but I can offer some observations.
    When I got the knife it would slice cleanly thru paper but would not shave hair. As it was it was a meat and wood cutting demon. As far as skinning and wood craft that edge was perfectly serviceable. However, examining the blade under 10x loops reveled a shiny but not polished blade with what appeared to be small chips along the cutting edge.
    I started my usual process of polishing the blade using various grades of abrasive papers up to 2000 and finishing on a chromium dioxide charged leather hone. I finally got the blade polished but this process took several hours. I am in the habit of stropping a blade on a leather hone after daily use to maintain the edge as I do not like a knife to get dull. This seemed to keep the S30V blade in good order under light use. The problem came after heavy use during an extended fishing and camping trip when the blade got fairly dull under heavy use. I just could not face the long process of paper and hones to repolish the blade soe I took a diamond hone to it and took out the micro chips then finished the polish on a fine waterstone.
    The end result was a razor sharp blade that is chip free under the loops.

S30V really holds an edge under fairly light use. Heavy work next to bone or in contact with hard surfaces results in micro chips along the blade edge. On a VG10 or A2 blade the main damge is the edge rolls over a little. Gentle stropping straightens it out and you go on. Polishing out chips sucks. I have finally decided that I should settle on a meat/wood cutting edge for this knife and leave the shaving edge to my Fallknivens and Bark Rivers.
    GIVE US KNIVES TO MATCH THE MOUNTAINS

CALPHAD
    10-15-06 15:04.09 - Post#1059699    

In response to riddleofsteel

These are very valuable and interesting observations. It would be also very interesting, just of pure curiosity, to examine the chipped edge under the scanning electron microscope to see exactly the mode and nature of that chipping. One could then see if the chipping is due to the primary carbides being pulled out of the steel's matrix, or is it the matrix that gets plastically deformed during the knife's use, or who knows what.

Thanks for sharing your obseravtions.

Dr. K.
    Computational Thermodynamics Inc.

www.calphad.com

Page 1 of 3 All123
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 169   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 22:19.13