"Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
"
~ Robert Frost
259 Online Now
20 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 239 guests are online now.
    Username Post: Have an old Jim Bowie knife, don't know....        (Topic#46919)
    BudBD
    06-28-01 17:31.00 - Post#46919    

I have an old Bowie knife, the shief marked Jim Bowie, maker of the knife is Carl Schlieper, Germany, and of course it is a commercial knife sicne it is marked in Gothic letters "Original Buffalo Skinner", has an antler handle with Aluminum knife butt, and has leather rings between the antler and aluminum butt and blade end too.
    My father found it forty years ago when he was tearing down an old loggers hotel, where it had fallen down between some floorboards some time before that. Anyone familar with that knife maker or that type of Bowie Knife?

Sheldon Wickersham
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-28-01 18:04.00 - Post#46920    

In response to BudBD

Bud,

I have just about zero to add to your post other than to suggest that almost anything marked "The Original...." isn't.

Ergo, it would probably be a later dated "repro"

I'd almost suggest that you pose the same question over at BRL's forum...except that I got the answer that I mentioned above, over at that forum...

Pictures would be nice....the method for listing is mentioned at BRL's forum as well...

Best of luck

Mel

"Buy Quality and Only Cry Once"

BRKCA MIKE #92.5
    "That I could only be half the man my dog thinks I am..."
    www.bluestarknives.com

Krizzard
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-28-01 18:45.00 - Post#46921    

In response to Sheldon Wickersham

Hiya!

Your particular blade, I have no info about.
    Carl Schlieper or Eye Brand was a pretty old cutlery firm, it of course, like so many other old Solingen cutlery firms, have vanished due to market place changes and deminishing skilled labour. You can read more on Carl Schlieper contained in the compilation of Knife World articles in the book entitled "Best of Knife World".

Years ago, Carl Schlieper/Eye Brand was "the knife brand" to own in this part of the world. And I'm talking about pre and post WWII. Sadly, they became rather expensive for further importation. The last being some where in the late 1980's.

They were mostly viewed as medium range blades. But honestly, even though the patterns were old standards, the finish was pretty good. Most of the blades I had seen were mirror polished blades. And they lasted.

The markings "Original Bowie", were found on some blades. Some stamped, others etched on. And let me assure you that what you probably have an original Carl Schlieper at the very least.

Hope that helps you out a little.

Krizzard. out.

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
    - The New Testament, Revelation 13 :10

brianWE
    06-28-01 19:27.00 - Post#46922    

In response to Krizzard

I think it is safe to say that NONE of the dozens of knives supposed to have been used by James B were marked with his name.
    So, really, anything marked "original bowie knife" is not only not "original", it is, probably, not even pretending to be original.
    It is, simply, a marketing ploy.
    I suppose what I am saying is that the manufacturer isn't trying to fool anyone....just cashing in on an image.
    I mean... the term "Bowie" has lost all meaning. My impression of a "Bowie knife" is of a large, fixed blade weapon (as against "tool")... but, now, we have some rather puny FB Bowies and, even, pocket folders.
    Personally, I believe that most(if not all) of the handful of knives actually used and given away by Bowie were made in the US. Despite the hint I recently saw on Egginton's website that he might have died in possession of an I*XL Sheffield bowie.
    Admittedly, it WAS only an implication.
    Like Ka-Bars insistence that they designed the Mk2 fighting knife.

I suppose that "repro" is not a fair description......unless of course, it is a copy of something that existed.
    ------------------
    brianWE

[This message has been edited by brian w edginton (edited June 29, 2001).]

Brian W Edginton
    I do not believe that the law should be used
    to enforce Political Correctness.

However, I DO approve of the use of mob
    violence to educate rude, ignorant people.

Krizzard
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-28-01 21:13.00 - Post#46923    

In response to brianWE

Hiya !

Well put Brian. In fact I once owned the Alamo Bowie (name of model) by Carl Schlieper. It was purely a limited piece commemorative model marketed in 1986. It was a large 8 to 9 inch stainless steel satin finish blade with dark brown/black micarta handles plus a nickel silver butt and cross guard. Well, nothing to yell about, in fact I believe the bowie pattern was all wrong for the period but the guard was a little different, it had a semi circular fold on its left side which came to rest along the top mouth of its thick and solidly made sheath. I suppose it was trying to replicate an old guard patterned which was suppose to hold the knife in place. Came in a dark brown wooden box.

Packed within the box was a short note. Nothing fancy just (in fact bad in printing design) an A4 sized white sheet of paper, with single color black ink print. It stated that this particular knife was made to commemorate "The Alamo". If anyone would like me to type out the entire message, just post so (At worst on Monday). I sold the blade but made a photo copy of the manufacturers note.

And just so you know, it didn't bear the "original bowie knife" mark. Basically it was an modern interpretation made to commemorate a historic American event.

Krizzard. out.

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
    - The New Testament, Revelation 13 :10

Hermes
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-28-01 21:54.00 - Post#46924    

In response to Krizzard

Heck i wanted to say hi and welcome to the KFC to you new guys, the more the merrier!

Just a note on James Bowie, no one on this planet can say for a fact that he has a "original James Bowie knife" it has been said he never made any of those Bowie knifes himself and that a blacksmith named Lovell Sowden made the first Bowie in 1838 some also say a blacksmith named Jesse Clifft really made the first Bowie knife and to top it off it has also been said that a unknown smith for Arkansas was the maker of the first Bowie knife?

It doesn't stop there some say a man named James H. Black from Arkansas made and it was published in the Washington Telegraph of Washington Arkansas on Dec. 8 1841 stating he made the first Bowie knife and it was that very same knife that James Bowie died with at the Alamo!

Cheers!
    James

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
    -Nordic proverb

www.gunforums.com

A. G. Russell
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    06-29-01 02:16.00 - Post#46925    

In response to Hermes

quote:
    Originally posted by BudBD:
    I have an old Bowie knife, the shief marked Jim Bowie, maker of the knife is Carl Schlieper, Germany, and of course it is a commercial knife sicne it is marked in Gothic letters "Original Buffalo Skinner", has an antler handle with Aluminum knife butt, and has leather rings between the antler and aluminum butt and blade end too.
    My father found it forty years ago when he was tearing down an old loggers hotel, where it had fallen down between some floorboards some time before that. Anyone familar with that knife maker or that type of Bowie Knife?

Bud:

Those knives were made in the late 1940s through the 1980s for importers in this country. Some marked with the silly "original" and most without. Schlieper has been around for a long time, so far as I know they are still in business, they have had an exclusive arangemnt with an importer in Texas for years. Their folders have held their edges better than most, anyone who has owned and used one can attest to that. In decent condition your knife would be worth about $150

A. G.

BudBD
    06-29-01 14:47.00 - Post#46926    

In response to A. G. Russell

quote:
    Originally posted by A. G. Russell:
    Bud:

Those knives were made in the late 1940s through the 1980s for importers in this country. Some marked with the silly "original" and most without. Schlieper has been around for a long time, so far as I know they are still in business, they have had an exclusive arangemnt with an importer in Texas for years. Their folders have held their edges better than most, anyone who has owned and used one can attest to that. In decent condition your knife would be worth about $150

A. G.

Thanks everyone, I now know more about the knife I have had in my possession for almost thirty years. Of course I never thought it was extremely valuable, since it is obviously a commercial model. Unfortunately, the sheath has always looked like it had been to hell and back, and was repaired with rivets, and always in bad shape. The blade once was rusty, and is pitted, but not too bad, and is more of just a family keepsake, since my father gave it to me.
    I think what I am going to do is restore the knife, since the handle is loose, and then make a new sheath, or try to finally repair the old(probably rotten) sheath somewhat. The sheath is marked in Germany too, but is apparently rotten(always has been). I also have started to fine stone down some of the rough scratches I put on the blade over twenty five years ago when I was a kid trying to teach myself how to sharpen kinves, but at least I always kept it oiled. It never rusted on my watch.

[This message has been edited by BudBD (edited June 30, 2001).]

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.305 seconds.   Total Queries: 142   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 09:47.37