KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Members
Welcome them to our community!
Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1483411311-MVP_187-188bb.jpg
Current Quote
"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your
freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I
took half the pains to preserve it."
~ John Adams
134 Online Now
1 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 133 guests are online now.
     Page 2 of 2 All<12
    Username Post: Rules        (Topic#420915)
    samuraimoose
    03-26-10 13:28.51 - Post#2096487    

In response to jhillas

hay does it HAVE to be usps i dont feel good taking any knife in to a post office, i understand the shipping insurance thing and tracking.
    thanks

frankk
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    03-29-10 12:34.26 - Post#2099028    

In response to samuraimoose

As far as I know it's not a problem to mail non switch blade knives so long as the are packaged securely in a box so that they do not cut or poke through the outside. The reason we like priority mail is that it is generally cheaper than other carriers and quicker. Also the post office will get a signature when insured for over 200.01 and won't leave it on by your front door. And if you have to pick up the box from the PO it is usually a lot easier than going to the ups or fedex depot.

threebkk
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    01-17-11 20:52.31 - Post#2273901    

In response to frankk

Are the passaround knives only supplied by dealers, or can non-dealers submit a knife to be passed around?

frankk
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-18-11 11:55.04 - Post#2274245    

In response to threebkk

Anyone is free to start their own passaroud with their own knife as long as it is in keeping with general KnifeForums rules. I would be glad to assist if needed.

threebkk
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    01-18-11 22:28.54 - Post#2274587    

In response to frankk

In that case, I have a knife that I'd like to submit for a passaround, if anyone is interested. It's not a Bark River or a Spyderco, in other words there's no brand recognition, but I'm pretty sure this knife is not available in the USA. Might be interesting to some of the folks out there.

My second question would be:
    How will this work since I'm overseas?

frankk
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-19-11 13:43.01 - Post#2275020    

In response to threebkk

Any brand is fine.

International shipping is a real problem since you have some paper work to deal with, high shipping costs, sometimes with added taxes/duties/fees and problems with items being confiscated by customs or lost or stolen. Also this all takes a good deal of time (sometimes weeks to clear customs). That is why I limit the passarounds I do to the USA. I know that there have been some international passarounds on other forums and there have been a lot of problems.

threebkk
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    01-20-11 02:27.48 - Post#2275376    

In response to frankk

Good point, but most of those concerns you've listed… don't concern me. If the knife disappears forever in the mail system, or in customs, I won't hold it against anyone (except the USPS). That's why I'm willing to submit it for passaround. If it were a highly treasured knife, you wouldn't be able to get me to part with it.

The only real issue I can foresee would be the return shipping fees for the final person in the passaround. Maybe I'll have to pay that myself. What do you think?

frankk
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    01-20-11 19:14.04 - Post#2276110    

In response to threebkk

Details like that would be your decision.

Might be a good idea to post a "feeler' thread to see how much interest in the knife you are thinking of.

threebkk
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    01-22-11 04:53.33 - Post#2277096    

In response to frankk

Will do that when I get some steam built back up. Thanks for your input!

mwputnam
    05-13-13 18:00.07 - Post#2549119    

In response to James Nowka

Include me in, please.

Page 2 of 2 All<12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.167 seconds.   Total Queries: 166   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 22:39.41