thumb_1412800724-1.JPG
thumb_1412652956-24262_1251638018854_7628960_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1412562018-MVP_65b.jpg
thumb_1412353660-2.JPG
thumb_1411961722-374934_2397988276894_1877393445_n_1_.jpg
thumb_1411889958-Summers_131026_-_Copy__617x800_.jpg
thumb_1411695030-100_5450.JPG
Current Quote
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
"
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
191 Online Now
13 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 178 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: Corian Cutting Board        (Topic#401489)
    Gooch
    05-15-04 16:41.21 - Post#401489    

I am moving into a cottage that has a kitchen with a Corian countertop. They have also made a decent sized cutting board out of the same material. I have a set of wusthof classic whites and a Henckels 8" chefs knife. They all were sharpened this week so they have brand new edges.

My question is, Will Corian cutting boards dull my knives more so than Wood, Poly, or Bamboo?

This might seem like a dumb question but I have been trying to research this and I just come up against conflicting information. Some places say that Corian will not dull knives, and others say avoid it like the plague.

I would prefer to use the cutting board instead of buying others, but if it would mean a fairly drastic dulling effect then I would rather buy a different cutting board.

Thank you in advance for the information.

Chefget
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-15-04 17:56.14 - Post#401525    

In response to Gooch

Very simple; within several minutes you will be able to notice the dulling of your knives.

Corian, marble, granite, glass...really bad idea.

-Michael
    A couple of knives: www.gettier.org

Manodegat2
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-16-04 14:48.58 - Post#402072    

In response to Chefget

Quote:

Very simple; within several minutes you will be able to notice the dulling of your knives.

Corian, marble, granite, glass...really bad idea.

-Michael

Especially glass. Was given a glass "board" as a wedding present, the last time I got married. Disastrous!
    Mike Adkins,
    Louisville, KY, USA

Imaginary friend to the stars.

dullone
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-16-04 15:13.00 - Post#402081    

In response to Manodegat2

Quote:

Was given a glass "board" as a wedding present, the last time I got married. Disastrous!

The board or the marriage?????
    Is that MY finger laying on the floor ?

Maxinator
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    05-16-04 17:31.16 - Post#402168    

In response to dullone

Yeah...second them. Corian=BAD. Wood and those plastic/poly boards are good.

Dullone: Had to laugh at your signature. In 2000 I cut 3 of my fingers off w/ my tablesaw. That's exactly what went through my head as a looked down at them!!!

It's funny now, because the Docs sewed all three back on and I can still count to ten.

Cheers.
    Socrates: "I drank what?"

Gooch
    05-17-04 03:12.00 - Post#402306    

In response to Maxinator

I understand what you all are saying, and I pretty much agree from feeling how hard the Corian is. But I wonder why Williams Sonoma will advertise that it will not dull knives. They are a higher end company that wouldnt be that irresponsible with their more demanding clientel. It all strikes me as weird.

Knife Outlet
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-17-04 10:38.36 - Post#402572    

In response to Gooch

Strikes me as weird too but Williams Sonoma is wrong. I had a call from a Corian cutting board supplier recently. I told him I wouldn't allow them in the store for the reasons mentioned above. He said he had a study that showed Corian wouldn't dull edges any more than wood and wanted to send it to me. I told him unfortunately his study was wrong. I've studied it plenty myself.

I think you can buy a study that will say anything. I assume Williams Sonoma uses one of these studies to make their claim.

Nevertheless, Corian is a bad material from which to make cutting boards because it will dull an edge significantly faster than wood. How much faster? About 12 times faster. I say about because I don't have any scientific equipment for measuring wear, edges and things like that. I base my own tests on cutting into the cutting board enough times to require me to steel the edge. Not scientific but certainly close enough for government work and close enough for me to say categorically that Corian is way, way harder on knife edges than wood is. Glass and granite, of course, are even worse. I can't imagine how you would rig a test to show Corian was no more abrasive to edges than wood. I guess I should contact the guy and ask him to send the test information.

The rule of thumb is that wood is best. Bamboo and polypropelene are the only other acceptable alternatives. I usually recommend people get a good NSF rated thick wood cutting board and then buy a poly board to use for things like cutting raw poultry or garlic. Just set the poly board on the wood board and then throw it in the dishwasher or sink to wash when you've finised with it. The wood board will handle most of the cutting chores. Cutting boards, by the way, aren't very expensive. Anybody can afford a good one. Take care.
    Fred Knife Outlet

Manodegat2
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    05-17-04 12:57.30 - Post#402682    

In response to dullone

Quote:

Quote:

Was given a glass "board" as a wedding present, the last time I got married. Disastrous!

The board or the marriage?????

The "board". The marriage was as near perfection as any man could ask for.
    Mike Adkins,
    Louisville, KY, USA

Imaginary friend to the stars.

Gooch
    05-17-04 15:49.10 - Post#402810    

In response to Manodegat2

thanks for the info fred. I decided that after the unanimous response I would go and purchase two other cutting boards. Just so happens that they were a wood one and a poly one. I did purchase them before I got freds message so it was all coincidence. I have to make sure that I hide that Corian board so that none of my roommates decide to use it on my knives.

MalcolmFear
    05-17-04 19:53.51 - Post#402922    

In response to Gooch

Corian is great to support hi fi equipment on. I use these boards, from sink cut outs for all my hi fi gear. Works very well under a cd player.

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 168   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 02:04.15