Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1483411311-MVP_187-188bb.jpg
Current Quote
"The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood."
~ Buddha
179 Online Now
3 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 176 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 2 All12
    Username Post: Morey Knives?        (Topic#314781)
    brianWE
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-09-03 14:52.36 - Post#314781    

This thread is on the General forum.
    Any comments?
    http://www.knifeforums.com//ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB62&Number=314778&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1&vc=1&PHPSESSID=
    If this link doesn't work, look for the Morey Header.

Krizzard
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    11-09-03 20:05.01 - Post#314850    

In response to brianWE

Gee, Brian.
    You sure know how to pick 'em.
    A really tough one to answer.
    Can't say I even seen, yet alone heard about this one.
    Quite an interesting design though.
    And that box art(!!!!), sure looks something from the Far East.

Krizzard, out

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
    - The New Testament, Revelation 13:10

brianWE
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-16-04 14:20.59 - Post#435440    

In response to Krizzard

I received this email today. Clears things up satisfactorily, I think.

-----------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:51:35 -0700

Hi,
    I`m the one who designed the Morey MK 1. I was just looking at the discussion board on Knife Forums. You had a question about the Morey MK 1, back in November. It's pretty amazing where some of my knives have turned up. You're in Australia, right? Here's a short history. I was in the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm, in the USN. Me and a few other guys were making crude knives on the guided missile cruiser that I was attached to, because it was fun, and the old Vietnam era knives that we were issued were too heavy and bulky. After I'd made a prototype that I liked, I found a place in Saudi Arabia that could make a a bunch for me. The smallest order that they would take was 1000. The total cost of production was $8,800 US., which was my life savings at the time. The factory kept delaying and delaying, pushing the production back, and I finally got the knives after the actual fighting had ended. By then, we were about to head back to Pearl Harbor, and I didn't get
    to sell many of the knives to other military members in the Gulf. I think I sold more knives to Germans, than anyone else. I sold a few in Hawaii when we got back. By then I realized I had been tricked. The people who made the knives for me pulled a fast one, and packed a bunch of substandard knives at the bottom of the crate. Some of the knives were so bad that I just threw them away, almost half, in fact. I was embarrassed to have my name on them. Another thing that I realized, after getting back to the states, was that they'd ripped me off on the steel. The blades were stamped "stainless" but they weren't. A bunch that had gotten exposed to the salt air, had rusted, and had to be buffed with metal polish before I could sell them. So, be sure to keep your knife away from moisture. Anyway, over the years I've been selling a few here, and a few there, all over the US. I do plan to make a MK 2, but that could be years in the future. And I will never again have anything
    made in a country with a reputation for poor workmanship. The whole experience that I had with my first production knife really left a bad taste in my mouth. Nice talking with you, and its good to know that a few of my knives are still floating around out there.

--Chuck Morey

-------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------
    Do you Yahoo!?
    Vote for the stars of Yahoo!'s next ad campaign!
    brianWE
    If you want to win an argument, it is best to stick to the truth.....or,at least, provable untruths.

Frank_Trzaska
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-17-04 05:42.05 - Post#435726    

In response to brianWE

Great info Brian, thanks for posting it!

All the best
    Frank Trzaska
    All the best
    Frank Trzaska

Visit us at US Military Knives . Com

Zius2
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-17-04 10:06.35 - Post#435830    

In response to brianWE

Great story Brian. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself (even one of the crappy ones), but I suppose collectors prices will skyrocket shortly after your post.

leatherneck777
    07-20-04 08:16.10 - Post#437373    

In response to Zius2

I was in the Army, and met Chuck Morey in mid-March of 1991, in Bahrain. I bought one of his knives for $10. It was worth at least double or triple what I paid. I don't know what his motivation for producing his knife was, but he wasn't out to make money. And it was a pretty decent knife--very light. I wish I still had it. It was about 11 inches long, had a nylon handle, and a steel guard. Even if the steel wasn't stainless, it was still good. The blade rarely needed sharpening.

Tom Carey
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-20-04 08:31.16 - Post#437378    

In response to leatherneck777

I have two of them floating around here. They are pretty cheap looking. I honestly never really believed they had anything to do with Desert Storm. I guess they actually did sort of.

Regards,

Tom Carey
    The BlackJack Info Pages http://www.blackjackknives.us

leatherneck777
    07-20-04 08:38.14 - Post#437380    

In response to Tom Carey

Okay, they aren't the best knives in the world, but they're probably the only knife made in the Gulf during the Gulf War.

collectorknife
    07-27-04 05:19.50 - Post#441485    

In response to leatherneck777

I got my Morey knife in the Gulf, and still have it. I bought it for $10.00 in 1992, when I was stationed at Hickam AFB in Hawaii. Not a bad deal. They can be found on internet auction sites, from time to time. They sell for $12-$20. Still not a bad deal, considering their history, and age. They aren't actual military issue though, so if you're looking for an official military knife, don't buy one of these. I think you're right. This is probably the only knife of its kind, that was manufactured in the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm.

Frank_Trzaska
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    07-29-04 13:18.27 - Post#442842    

In response to collectorknife

I just purchased two of them from Chucks nephew. Not really a high quality knife but a great collectable. The story is great on them, in fact I feel an article coming on already.

All the best
    Frank Trzaska
    All the best
    Frank Trzaska

Visit us at US Military Knives . Com

Page 1 of 2 All12
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.219 seconds.   Total Queries: 169   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 05:25.48